PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

richz_nova
16-10-12, 07:05 PM
hello all, the mrs wants a car, it being her first, i have found a cheap ford ka (sorry for swearing) just want to know what to look for and what problems do they have heard of alternators what

cheers for any advice :thumb:

mk1nova_rich
16-10-12, 07:09 PM
What reg? Bodywork is usually sumat to watch out for

Southie
16-10-12, 07:12 PM
Very similar to Novas tbh rot wise, get underneath and check the sills and rear axles... the petrol cap areas are bad for rusting and also bonnet catches are bad for snapping.

richz_nova
16-10-12, 07:17 PM
Very similar to Novas tbh rot wise, get underneath and check the sills and rear axles... the petrol cap areas are bad for rusting and also bonnet catches are bad for snapping.

ok nice one

richz_nova
16-10-12, 07:17 PM
What reg? Bodywork is usually sumat to watch out for

its a 52 mate

brucer
16-10-12, 07:25 PM
deffo rust is the main killer, seen 5yr old ones rust badly.

turbojolt
16-10-12, 07:27 PM
rust, and there **** in crashes

richz_nova
16-10-12, 07:28 PM
deffo rust is the main killer, seen 5yr old ones rust badly.

nice one mate so basicaly same as a nova lol but with a ford badge lol

richz_nova
16-10-12, 07:31 PM
rust, and there **** in crashes

you say crashes, i know someone that took a ka to a desruction derby and it lasted realy well only reaon he had to retire because of a split fuel line

Will F
16-10-12, 07:33 PM
Inner sills, around fuel cap, chassis and suspension mounts. If its got 12 months mot, then that's how long it will last. They are terrible cars that are possibly the worst for rust I have ever seen.

turbojolt
16-10-12, 07:35 PM
are they the only cars she is willing to look at fella?

richz_nova
16-10-12, 07:55 PM
well ill look at anything mate i like corsa c's to be fair the thing bout the ka its fairly cheap and its got 12 m.o.t so if she ran it for 12 months then i weighed it in lol it dont realy matter

kent14sr
16-10-12, 07:59 PM
On these rust round the petrol cap is structural as the rear seat belts mount behind it so I am led to believe

novalew
16-10-12, 08:26 PM
just buy her a nova

turbojolt
16-10-12, 08:28 PM
just buy her a nova

and for christmas give her H.I.V

Pistol Pete
16-10-12, 08:55 PM
On these rust round the petrol cap is structural as the rear seat belts mount behind it so I am led to believe

No. Rust round the petrol cap means the side panel skin is rotten!!

just buy her a nova

For the love of god...dont do this.

A Ka will be fine as a first car. You can buy them cheap enough. I sold a 52 plate one for £900. Was tidy too!

John
16-10-12, 08:59 PM
6n2 polo ftw.

steviegsi
16-10-12, 09:12 PM
Inner sills, around fuel cap, chassis and suspension mounts. If its got 12 months mot, then that's how long it will last. They are terrible cars that are possibly the worst for rust I have ever seen.

This^

We just scrapped my mums ka this month. It had been welded up last year for mot, and failed this year on rust. Horrible cars, fiesta or corsa of the same vintage would be the way to go.

phazer
17-10-12, 04:48 PM
Steering racks fail for fun too as well as all the above. Ford want over £500+vat for the part. If you do it yourself as I had to do an exchange rack is £90 quid but it's not a pleasant job to do on the drive and bleeding the rack is a royal pain.

mowgli
17-10-12, 08:40 PM
you could try a fiesta, polo corsa etc.... ask the insurance first...

Pistol Pete
17-10-12, 09:03 PM
Interesting....my mums first one needed the sills doing, the second one (a 52 plate) was really clean!! My misses alos had one, a patch of rust at the bottom of the windscreen pillar and that was it!! You lot must have bought rotters lol

Jon_nova1
17-10-12, 09:46 PM
Don't get a KA

I got a phonecall asking to weld one, the bloke said he's just had it MOT'd and it failed on corrosion and wanted it to get through as cheap as possible, he'd already stripped the carpet out for me, i welded 4 plates in total, one by the drivers seatbelt anchorage the same place on the passenger side but a little closer to the sill, one where the VIN number is stamped and another place below the pedals where the floorpan meets the chassis.

I told him it would get it through this years MOT but next year he would be looking at getting both inner sills welded, the rest of the seam where the floorplan meets the chassis under the pedals and the passenger side would be well on its way.

The car was on an 02 plate and only covered 27K miles, i asked him is he sure its not covered 127K miles, but looking at the steering wheel/gearstick wear along with wear on keys and the seats looking in excellent condition it was obvious it hadn't covered many miles but the shell is just crap lol

richz_nova
18-10-12, 06:54 AM
Cheers for the advice guys realy appreciate it defo be lookin out for them but may look else where like corsa

cheers