PDA

View Full Version : Registering a shell info please

land nova
16-10-12, 09:43 AM
If i was to buy a nova shell that has been used in Rally or Autograss or something and it had no log book or vin plates how would i go about registering it lets say chances are it still had the number in the floor

And what about if the person who had the car had decided to send the log book off as scrapped or something thinking it would not have to go back on the road :confused:

amggsi
16-10-12, 10:15 AM
You can apply for a log book on just the chassis number, cost me an extra £2.50 when I was registering the Nova TD. Also takes a while, I waited a few months on my tax book coming through.

land nova
16-10-12, 12:21 PM
I was thinking you could do that like but what about if it had been sent off as scrapped for the car wouldnt this open up a can of worms

kent14sr
16-10-12, 01:34 PM
No. A car isnt scrapped unless a certificate of destruction is issued - and once this is done then it is irreversible.

Before the system changed to the above then it was relatively easy to put a car back on the road after the V5 had been sent off as scrapped.

land nova
18-10-12, 10:29 AM
Ok nice one cheers for the info

hotrod
19-10-12, 04:37 PM
Be careful mate I done this a few years ago and phoned the police to find out how to go about re-shelling my nova and they said:

"yeah not a problem if your re-shelling it just apply for the new log book and you'll get the original reg no of that shell!" So I did.

when I was finished I phoned back to find out about getting rid of the old shell and they said:

"Ooooohh you have re-shelled it? well you do know your gonna have to re-register the car as it's been scrapped!" :wtf:

After a lengthy process and having to get the car inspected and DVLA Gosforth they gave me the cars new registration...............ON A Q! :cry:

The first knight I took it out within 20 I got pulled over, when they did a vehicle check it came back as the original number of the shell!

Don't know if the Q reg's even exist anymore but make sure you have something official in writing first! :)