PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 keeps cutting out

milwain
14-10-12, 01:50 PM
Iv brought a 1.2 nova to get about in for the winter got it on the road yesterday and everytime I pull up at a junction it cuts out when it does manage to stay started it ticks over really lumpy iv changed the carb to one that I no works and still no difference any ideas ?

_Jake
14-10-12, 02:00 PM
Fuel pump? checked power to the coil/dizzy etc? plugs? could be loads of things..

milwain
14-10-12, 02:08 PM
Didn't think they had fuel pumps ?

mowgli
14-10-12, 02:19 PM
most important, is it a 1.2 carb, or a 1.2spi??

milwain
14-10-12, 02:26 PM
1.2 carb once its warm it does stay started better but still cuts out and it idles like its cammed

vRS_corbie
14-10-12, 03:00 PM
If in doubt, buy my full 1.2 carb engine and gearbox for £30 if you like as I need rid of it :D 52K miles on it and not a single problem with it either :D

milwain
14-10-12, 04:59 PM
Iv got one mate in my shed I took out my saloon just carnt be bothered to change it lol

vRS_corbie
14-10-12, 10:26 PM
awww damn haha, I have next to no room at the minute in the garage so don't really want to take it out my nova until I have a buyer for it :(

mowgli
15-10-12, 02:04 PM
right 1.2 carb... there might be some muck in the carb. ther fuel pump might be about knackered.. the dizzy advance retard mechanism can fail, so the timing is retarded, and it will stall.. the coils are known to go. there could be a fault with the chassis earth strap, the plugs might need swapping.

basically, you have to check everything.

hint. you check the dizzy by pulling the small vacuum hose off at the carb end while its running & suck like hell on it. if the engine note changes, its fine, if it doesn't, the the diaphragm is holed & won't be working. you can get new ones

milwain
15-10-12, 06:10 PM
Thanks mowgli is the fuel pump bolted next to the cambelt casing and does it run off the cam ? And I tried putting the hole distrubuter set up off my other 1.2 engine on that I no works fine and it dosent seem to fit where it slots onto the end of the cam any ideas the one that's on it seem to rattle aswell

brainsnova
15-10-12, 06:22 PM
Yeah that's the fuel pump and the cam runs it

mowgli
15-10-12, 10:39 PM
all 1.2 carb engines have an offset slot drive dizzy, so the only way it won't work is if the slot is 180 degrees out.

in the delco dizzy, there are 2 little weights on thin pins. the pins & weights wear & rattle. they have been known to part company & chop the cap in two.....

ps. re the fuel pump, if you are getting a new pump, remember to save the spacer off the old one. its a black piece that goes between the pump body & the cam carrier

_Jake
16-10-12, 10:31 AM
right 1.2 carb... there might be some muck in the carb. ther fuel pump might be about knackered.. the dizzy advance retard mechanism can fail, so the timing is retarded, and it will stall.. the coils are known to go. there could be a fault with the chassis earth strap, the plugs might need swapping.

basically, you have to check everything.

hint. you check the dizzy by pulling the small vacuum hose off at the carb end while its running & suck like hell on it. if the engine note changes, its fine, if it doesn't, the the diaphragm is holed & won't be working. you can get new ones
what he said ^ ! :P
my mk1 1.2 went through a stage of this and it was the coil, then it went through a stage of not starting at all and the only way to get it started was to completely strip the distributor and rebuild it....... lovely!

milwain
16-10-12, 01:32 PM
Sorted now changed the dizzy and its fine thabks for all your help cheers matt