PDA

View Full Version : Gear selecting, no drive

trojanhawrs
13-10-12, 09:55 PM
Hi, new to this forum and to car maintenance in general.
Was changing gear the other day and heard a bang, losing all drive. After taking the gearbox out, found that the clutch pressure plate teeth were bent, and crb not spinning. Have fitted a new clutch kit but still have no drive. I know I'm selecting because the reverse light comes on in reverse, and the gearbox was turning in gear when i took it out. Was also turning gears with driveshafts so don't think its diff bearings.
Any ideas?

John
13-10-12, 10:01 PM
Cv joint?

pottersrebel
13-10-12, 10:03 PM
sounds like a final drive problem check the diff and pinion gear to see it theyre working properly

pottersrebel
13-10-12, 10:04 PM
or as john said cv joint

Andy
13-10-12, 10:08 PM
Box problem.

trojanhawrs
14-10-12, 12:58 PM
Ok, after putting the car back on stands this morning, ive found that one driveshaft appears to be spinning. Would say though that the clutch doesnt sound healthy, adjusted it to get the right pedal difference which according to haynes manual is 12-13cm, but the adjuster is much lower on the thread than it was with the previous clutch, and getting no discernable bite - although as i say, wheel is spinning but not with much power
What is final drive and pinion gear, and how do I check it?

mowgli
14-10-12, 02:16 PM
if one wheel is spinning, when on jacks, basically chock that wheel so it doesn't turn.. if the other one turns, then its good, if not, then either the cv joint isn't engaging with the diff gear, or the diff is shot. cv joints knacker way more often than gearboxes/diffs do

trojanhawrs
14-10-12, 07:23 PM
if one wheel is spinning, when on jacks, basically chock that wheel so it doesn't turn.. if the other one turns, then its good, if not, then either the cv joint isn't engaging with the diff gear, or the diff is shot. cv joints knacker way more often than gearboxes/diffs do

i replaced one of the inners recently, and tbh the other looks n feels ok. Is there any conclusive way to find out if its the diff? (preferably without taking the gearbox out again).

mowgli
14-10-12, 07:32 PM
well, if it has drive into the box, and both shafts are connected, but there is no drive out, then the box innards are shot.

as you say you did the cv's recently, i reckon one of the shafts is slightly out & not engaging....

total diff failure would usually make horrendous noise & spit bits of metal out thru the diff plate.

trojanhawrs
14-10-12, 07:42 PM
cant get much movement out of either wheel now; i did notice on the old cv, the washer type flange on it was slightly bent. when i put it in under the car it was possibly 1-2mm off flush with the transmission casing, but not exactly sure how it should be. other cv is a remanufactured part so it isn't identical

trojanhawrs
14-10-12, 07:45 PM
Also may be worth noting - when I put it into gear and turn either wheel by hand (or both) the engine isn't turning.

trojanhawrs
14-10-12, 07:49 PM
woops

burgo
14-10-12, 10:13 PM
If the whole front end is up and it's in gear as you turn one wheel the other should turn in the opposite direction. Sounds like your diff has gone bang to me. Take the diff inspection plate off and see if there's any bits inside

trojanhawrs
14-10-12, 10:20 PM
If the whole front end is up and it's in gear as you turn one wheel the other should turn in the opposite direction. Sounds like your diff has gone bang to me. Take the diff inspection plate off and see if there's any bits inside

As I was searching for circlips and nuts etc I'd left lying on the ground when removing the gearbox, I found a couple of bits of broken magnetic metal (shape implies it may have been circular?). Could that have been from within the gearbox?
I did have the inspection plate off at a point, but can't say I know what I'm looking for

burgo
14-10-12, 10:26 PM
Where abouts are you? Maybe another member who does know what they are doing

trojanhawrs
14-10-12, 10:31 PM
Kinross, scotland