13-10-12, 12:54 PM
Yep Corsa is wider so no cant use them

Rydoc
13-10-12, 01:14 PM
Gutter
Anyone from glasgow selling any

chambers1984
13-10-12, 08:51 PM
you can use them mate iv got them on my nova just cut 10mm of each end and move the clip to the end of the splines

Martin.p
13-10-12, 09:07 PM
you can use them mate iv got them on my nova just cut 10mm of each end and move the clip to the end of the splines

Interested in this as my plan is in the spring to get hold of a 8v cally and rob it of its engine loom shafts and anything I need for conversation. Can you explain in a bit more depth for me what needs to be done?

mk1nova_rich
13-10-12, 09:14 PM
Basically cut the shaft 10mm shorter and move the circlip down the shaft so the CV joint fits further down, effectively shortening the overall length of the shaft. You will need to find a way of cutting the circlip groove into the shaft though

Martin.p
13-10-12, 09:23 PM
I see what you mean now you say about cutting circlip groove . Couldn't picture what you ment first time

Spudly
14-10-12, 07:36 AM
Wtf, I've never heard of anyone having to cut driveshafts down before now?? :eek:

Edd
14-10-12, 07:44 AM
Here's a idea, use a set of shafts that fit lol

chambers1984
14-10-12, 08:19 AM
why spend £150 on shafts when you can make your own fit for free and there stronger than any aftermarket stuff what someone has made out of a cheap grade metal

Spudly
14-10-12, 09:01 AM
So chopping part of a driveshaft out, and cutting your own groove in it, and probably weaking a point thats not supposed to be chopped or have grooves cut in, to make the circlip fit, is stronger than the properly made shafts, oh i didnt know that, best go take my tapered shafts out of mine asap then, the ones that are god knows how old, have put up with two seasons of dragstrip abuse from three different owners, plus three thousand miles of abuse from me personally, and are still going strong, i might add!

Oh and just to point out, that calibra shafts will be big block/equal length shafts, and using the correct hubs arent they a direct fit, so i will ask my original question again, wtf, why would you need to cut them?

Martin.p
14-10-12, 09:10 AM
Spudly, what is my best option if I put a c20ne from a cally in my nova which is a 1.4 luxe at mo with the break discs servo and calipers off my old GTE?

Spudly
14-10-12, 09:13 AM
Well for a start if youre fitting an 8v you will want the seh over the ne, but shaft wise you will either want the tapered ones like mine, big block inners with nova gte outers, or the correct equal length setup and big block hubs!

Martin.p
14-10-12, 09:21 AM
What are the Seh engines like? Only ask because I know from having a Calibra c20let for 5 years and being on other forums that the xe is a old engine and the ecotec is prone to sensor faults but the ne is quite bome proof. Simple runner! Can't be arsed with another let lol
So what are Seh like and where to look?

Spudly
14-10-12, 09:29 AM
Seh is the 2.0 8v from the mk2 cav SRi 130, that and the ne are both as old, if not older than an xe, whats so wrong with an xe, its a tried and tested method, makes more power standard than either of the 8v's and is more tuneable, mine had 227,000 miles when i broke it from the cav, ive not rebuilt it, its had waterpump and cambelt whilst it was still in the cav, and ive thrashed it for another 3,000 miles and its still sweet as anything :d

chambers1984
14-10-12, 09:38 AM
So chopping part of a driveshaft out, and cutting your own groove in it, and probably weaking a point thats not supposed to be chopped or have grooves cut in, to make the circlip fit, is stronger than the properly made shafts, oh i didnt know that, best go take my tapered shafts out of mine asap then, the ones that are god knows how old, have put up with two seasons of dragstrip abuse from three different owners, plus three thousand miles of abuse from me personally, and are still going strong, i might add!

Oh and just to point out, that calibra shafts will be big block/equal length shafts, and using the correct hubs arent they a direct fit, so i will ask my original question again, wtf, why would you need to cut them?

iv got 2 sets of conversions shafts and yes they are ok but an equal length setup is a rip of when they can be made yourself for free. and there is nothin wrong with cutting a grove into the shaft they are groved anyway so what harm is doing another.

yes they are bigblock but there wider so no wont fit in a std nova so yes they will need cutting down

and why use 22 spline tapered shafts with little thin nova outer cvs that will just hold the power of an xe and need to use mk2 cav inners at £45 an time.
when you can use std cav or cali stuff cut a bit of the length of shaft have the hubs machined down mine cost me £20 to get machined so for a set of equal length shafts what can take alot more power for £20 i no what i will stick to doing

an no need to get arsey sayin wtf why cut them down its ment to be a helpfull site not a bitch fight

Martin.p
14-10-12, 09:41 AM
I don't have my heart set on anything at the min. I got my nova a month or so ago and not had one since I was a teen. I always wanted a 2.0 one back then. Since then I've self taught myself everything I know (or don't know most of the time lol) but managed to do a full rebuild on my let and car last yr.
I'm planning to do a 2.0 conversion on the nova next yr and at the mo trying to find out all the best info I can befor I make my first move. :)
Preliminary plan was to get a 8v cally that way I have the engine loom clocks shafts pump and bits I need and break the rest on other forum to get some money back from it. But may do that same thing but with a xe in light of what you say.

Researching that's what I'm doing :)

All constructive comments welcome :)

Benn
14-10-12, 09:47 AM
See youll be cutting 10mm of the main part of the shaft that grips the cv joint. That the part i wouldnt want to be cutting off. Aftermarket shafts if made right will be just as strong if not stronger as some are heat treated.

Id buy proper shafts. And if you can, get a xe cally to use. As youll be doing all the same work, but getting less power and toqure.

Martin.p
14-10-12, 09:54 AM
Sorry if I seem thick here, but so I'm clear I'm going to need inner cv's off cally ?? Then shorter shafts?? And GTE/GSI outer cv's ??

Is this because the 22 splines I read about are to fit to the shorter shaft?? Not to do with the splines that fit into hub??

chambers1984
14-10-12, 09:58 AM
if you go 22spline mate you use std nova hubs with gte/gsi shafts and mk2 1.6 cav inners

chambers1984
14-10-12, 10:04 AM
See youll be cutting 10mm of the main part of the shaft that grips the cv joint. That the part i wouldnt want to be cutting off. Aftermarket shafts if made right will be just as strong if not stronger as some are heat treated.

Id buy proper shafts. And if you can, get a xe cally to use. As youll be doing all the same work, but getting less power and toqure.

yes mate but there is part of the splines on the cav/cali shaft what is not used if you look inside the std cv when on a cav shaft so your just moving the cv in more so no harm done. and its only like when with the conversion hubs they take std cav hubs and machine some metal of to fit into nova bearings and charge silly money for a kit

Spudly
14-10-12, 10:38 AM
an no need to get arsey sayin wtf why cut them down its ment to be a helpfull site not a bitch fight

Whos getting bitchy, im certainly not, thats just how i talk so calm down getting yourself excited!

Like ive said, ive never ever heard of anyone having to cut equal length shafts down, ever!

I run tapered conversion shafts on mine, and like i said, through the last three owners, theyve never had nor needed a cv replacing, theyre fit and forget items to a degree, the only thing i do is check the cv boots like the outer one ive just replaced at the cost of £3, that is the only way i can see they would go through cv's regularly as the boots spin and tear, lets the cv lose all its grease and the cv fails, its like anything, keep checking and repair before it breaks and its fine!

Spudly
14-10-12, 10:57 AM
Well ive just done a bit of digging and it seems one of the shafts in the EL setup is too long and a shorter one is needed, this i didnt know so ill apologise for my error, still cant see cutting your own being a good idea though as like Benn mentioned, im sure the ends of the shafts are supposed to be heat treated for strength and you could be cutting that strength out!

Benn
14-10-12, 11:18 AM
yes mate but there is part of the splines on the cav/cali shaft what is not used if you look inside the std cv when on a cav shaft so your just moving the cv in more so no harm done. and its only like when with the conversion hubs they take std cav hubs and machine some metal of to fit into nova bearings and charge silly money for a kit

I know, but in my eyes you want as much/many splines as poss. For how much shafts are i'd just buy some.

burgo
14-10-12, 11:57 AM
So what's peoples views on cutting and welding cv joints to make conversion joints as Appleseed to changing shafts

chambers1984
14-10-12, 12:38 PM
iv got some i made like that and used on a xe and there ok would not like to run a c20let on them thow. specky made some a few years back for lindz with the china blue 2ltr 8v i think.

Alex J
14-10-12, 12:42 PM
just use lumps of wood as drive shafts, easy to work with lol

jonn
14-10-12, 12:55 PM
just use lumps of wood as drive shafts, easy to work with lol

lol a brush handle could come in handy.

Rydoc
14-10-12, 03:05 PM
I have big block hubs anyway and calinra shafts the cutting them the way charmers has said will save me a bunch as i wont need to go hunting for shafts

Gareth_C
14-10-12, 08:23 PM
I was told the vauxhall shafts were of a stronger material. Could the splines not be carried on up the shaft

pottersrebel
14-10-12, 08:37 PM
can you just not cut the shaft in the middle take out the extra length , then use a piece of box section to sleeve the joint , then drill the box section out in numerous places to plug weld the box to the shaft. weld up the ends an job jobbed, its all i do when i need to make a shaft suit my stock car and never had one break yet under race conditions
edit just thought of passing an mot so maybe not a good idea

Benn
14-10-12, 10:43 PM
I was told the vauxhall shafts were of a stronger material. Could the splines not be carried on up the shaft

Nah, i've snapped GM shafts before. And no, as the splines are male (they stick up/out from the shaft)