PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 8v Vauxhall Astra C16SE engine issues?

Novaloony
11-10-12, 09:45 PM
Does a 1.6 8v Astra mk3 EFI engine, the one that resembles the corsa SRI engine have an automatic choke? Only mine is a bugger to start as the fuel pump is on a switch which if you dont catch it at the right time it doesnt fire! which makes it a right pain as im not used to it,

It runs like a bag of nails until its warm thats when i can actually get it going! Would the fact its ment to have a lambda and a cat be why it runs so bad when i get it going?

Cheers

7ova
11-10-12, 09:57 PM
Isn't all the c16se's multi point injection no carbs or choke.

Novaloony
11-10-12, 10:30 PM
No idea mate im a n00b to this, id rather a bog standard 1.2 / 1.3 carb engine than this pile o crap

Martin.p
11-10-12, 10:37 PM
my old GTE (not sure what engine code is for them) had a valve that soon as you turn ignition on it started closing the valve (air bypass thingy) guess that acts like a choke?
mine used to stick and car didnt run well.

but yes if its ment to have lamba sensor then it will run bad! mine was rubbish to drive when I broke the cable (without knowing it lol)

Martin.p
11-10-12, 10:42 PM
Don't know if this is any help.

This is from Haynes for nova GTE
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/martinstu/351AF261-C433-4A67-99E0-E673A546906B-10672-00000F57AF6EC138.jpg

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/martinstu/20F4656F-5480-482B-B664-615A29DE5656-10693-00000F58C9508390.jpg

phazer
12-10-12, 05:44 PM
C16 doesn't have this valve, it has a CTS and air temp sensor amongst others. It's a really really simple setup so sorting out issues is just a case of methodically working through everything. If it runs crap until warm that rules out the lambda as that's only used by the ECU at normal temp. It's likely to be the CTS that needs to be replaced.

Novaloony
15-10-12, 01:01 PM
It runs ok but obviously its lumpy, but then after using it more and more, it doesnt seem to get any better to be honest, theres a blow between the manifold and downpipe which i suppose could cause it to run a but lumpy, i may unbolt the downpipe in a bit and see why it is blowing,

Novaloony
16-10-12, 01:25 AM
Right this is really starting to tick me off now, I'm thinking what could be causing my engine to flood as its ment to send any un needed fuel back to the tank?, could ur be because my fuel pump is on a toggle switch? Anyone know how to wire it to ignition live as I keep flooding it :/

Cheers

kent14sr
16-10-12, 06:20 PM
Surely the fuel pressure regulator and other sensors should regulate the fuel pressure so it doesnt overfuel?

I would rip the engine and loom out and start again - its a total mess and you will only get another problem once you solve one. If you have leaking manifolds etc then it will never run right till they are properly sorted.

The car would originally be a carb'd one I am guessing - are the fuel tank and lines the injection type?

Is the ECU correct for the engine?

phazer
16-10-12, 09:04 PM
There are a number of things that control fuelling some of which I mentioned in my first post. The MAP sensor can also cause over fuelling if it is faulty or there is a problem with the vacuum pipes.

Getting annoyed but also ignoring advice from those who've been there and done that won't help you resolve it. Best of luck.

John
16-10-12, 09:06 PM
There are a number of things that control fuelling some of which I mentioned in my first post. The MAP sensor can also cause over fuelling if it is faulty or there is a problem with the vacuum pipes.

Getting annoyed but also ignoring advice from those who've been there and done that won't help you resolve it. Best of luck.

Listen to this man! Have you replaced the coolant temp sensor then?

Novaloony
16-10-12, 11:41 PM
Who's ignoring?

I've never had an engine quite this bodged in, ideally yes the engine does need ripping out but currently I dont have the time, know how or resources to do so,

Any help is greatly appreciated, however be patient with me as half this is new to me lol.
Cheers

John
17-10-12, 07:34 AM
Ps, why is the fuel pump relay not wired in? It's on the engine loom iirc.

Is the diagnostic plug wired in? Has the coolant temp sensor been replaced or not?

:)

Novaloony
17-10-12, 07:36 PM
Fuel pump relay... what colour is it lol, ive unplugged it all today and taken the entire loom out, had to unplug a purple relay?, and the fuel pump is earthed by the tank, lived the the battery, and has a fuse in it?

Diagnostic wire not plugged in that i know of, and no idea on the coolant temp sensor,

phazer
17-10-12, 09:07 PM
Electrically this engine is really one of the simplest.

The CTS is on the front left of the engine as you stand at the front of the car, it's next to the stub for the instrument temp guage. If it's the correct sensor it has a blue mini timer lug. Inlet temp sensor is on the right hand end of the inlet and has a round grey connector IIRC. Map sensor is on the bulkhead with the green three pin plug. Fuel relay should be clipped to the bulkhead, it should be a black bosch item and wire colours are red/blue stripe. Lambda sensor is a single green wire to the manifold. Other than the idle valve, throttle sensor and crank sensor that is all there is to this engine.

If you need more help you're going to have to get more specific and post some pictures, otherwise you need to study the haynes wiring diagrams a lot and go from there.