PDA

View Full Version : Paypal issue.

benw456
10-10-12, 09:55 PM
Hi,

Iv had a problem with paypal and I thought some of you may be able to help.

I sent a deposit of £100 for a set of wheels off edition38 on the description that the seller gave. The wheels were 220 miles away so I could only really go off what pictures he had given and the description.

The wheels in question were a set of 20" Bentley wheels that had a crack in one wheel that needed repairing. His description also said that they had 225/35/20 tyres fitted all round and needed re laquering in places.

After a 220 mile trip to Essex to pick them up from 'players' show, he got them out of the car and showed me the 'worst' wheel which did have the single crack.

He quickly helped me load them and I gave him the rest of the money in cash and we went our ways.

Now I thought somthing was wrong so before we set off I had a second look. The tyres were 3x 235/35/20 and one was a 245/35/20 not what he had stated. And the 'worst' wheel was actually one of the best! One of the wheels had 11 - yes 11 weld repairs in the past 2 of which had re-cracked and some of the welds had been sealed with what looked like tiger seal! If you like your wheels looking like 50p's then these were the wheels for you! The wheels also needed repainting and relaquering - not just a relaquer as he stated in the advert.

To cut a long story short I got the seller to come back and demanded the cash I gave him back and for him to take the wheels away.

I started a dispute on paypal to retrieve the deposit back. After following everything they asked - they have decided NOT to give me my money back - which im pretty pi55ed off about - especially as it cost me £80 to essex and back for nothing.

To make the deposit - they took £3 from my paypal balance and the rest from my bank account/card.

Is there anything I could do get the money back? Anything my bank could do for me?

Any info appreciated!!

Pistol Pete
10-10-12, 10:00 PM
I would ask why they chose not to give the refund.

Maybe the seller made a counter dispute?

benw456
10-10-12, 10:14 PM
Iv looked at the email paypal have sent and they dont give a reason.

I have found somthing call chargeback where the card issuer can apply for the funds back.

Has anyone done the chargeback before?

brainsnova
10-10-12, 10:20 PM
Will the seller not pay you it now as he'll see PayPal won't

benw456
10-10-12, 10:25 PM
Not sure mate, thats why im trying other lines of enquiries!

Just annoyed how I kept my part of the deal, travelled all the distance and now im £180 down after fuel!

Novasport
10-10-12, 10:39 PM
They will not normally refund you for 'not as described' on a non Ebay purchase. I know it seems harsh to say but you should have checked them in more detail on collection when you had chance

Iain
10-10-12, 11:24 PM
He did check them tho and got a refund for the cash. I'd be on PayPal's case as the seller can confirm you received a refund?

mowgli
10-10-12, 11:31 PM
its a tricky area, as a deposit is usually a non refundable payment to 'reserve' an item

benw456
11-10-12, 06:50 PM
its a tricky area, as a deposit is usually a non refundable payment to 'reserve' an item

Yeah I know that is normally the case, and I was happy to do this. But the item clearly wasnt as he described. Im going into the bank tomorrow so will ask about the chargeback.