PDA

View Full Version : fooking tie rod ends

turbojolt
06-10-12, 11:46 AM
is there a easy way that im not thinking of to undo these conts, other then using a bench vice and a air gun

mine just wont budge the stubbborn *******s, im trying to undo them to replace the bushes so far ive wd40'ed them, breaker bar, ring spanner and hammer, stilsons but still nothing :mad:

had them held against a wodden table, with my stilsons clamping them at the flat end, while i used the ring spanner on the nut and all that happened was the table broke :tard:

Benn
06-10-12, 02:02 PM
Do it on the car... Easy on there.

Paul
06-10-12, 04:13 PM
Cut them off then buy new ones.

Spudly
06-10-12, 04:35 PM
WD40 isnt a penetrating oil, if theyre seized in place you need plusgas, that is a proper penetrating oil, wd40 is just a water displacing oil!

turbojolt
06-10-12, 04:38 PM
plusgas never heared of that before

Spudly
06-10-12, 04:50 PM
plusgas never heared of that before

http://www.amazon.co.uk/plusgas-DIY-Tools/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3APlusgas

turbojolt
06-10-12, 05:00 PM
i just googled it and apprantly the off road boys all use it so must be good! cheers spud

i would cut off the bolt but my angle grinder has popped all its cogs :(

nova ian
06-10-12, 05:08 PM
Heat it up!

Andy
06-10-12, 05:16 PM
i would cut off the bolt but my angle grinder has popped all its cogs :(
Wtf?! how??

turbojolt
06-10-12, 05:23 PM
Wtf?! how??

i was happily wire wheeling all the old nasty stuff off my inner arch, ear defenders on, face shield on and my welding gauntlets thinking about how good the whole project was going then the fooking thing died, trigger hanging out and the threaded part of the griner is all lose :tard:

never again will i buy a cheapo silverline grinder

Andy
06-10-12, 05:32 PM
I have a £30 hitachi one,brilliant grinder.Bought it off ebay.

turbojolt
06-10-12, 05:38 PM
i will have a look for one when i have some money mate cheers, I'm chewing into my overdraft right now so new toys are right at the bottom of my priority list lol

Andy
06-10-12, 05:41 PM
It kinda brings progress to a halt though s it would be high on my priority list.
That was for BNIB i'll look through my feedback see if i can find the seller for ya

Andy
06-10-12, 05:44 PM
pm'd

turbojolt
06-10-12, 05:45 PM
its high on my car build list, but very very low on my paying out for bills etc list lol

just need people to pay me money back, seems to go out to help everyone out but never comes back quick enough

turbojolt
06-10-12, 05:46 PM
cheers mate

Jon_nova1
06-10-12, 06:35 PM
cheap grinders have a habit of loosening the screws holding the cog plate together, end result is the cogs grandually get sheered as they arn't meshing properly

turbojolt
06-10-12, 06:44 PM
i dont think the wire cup helped, was really unbalanced making it shake a bit, might have helped losen all the internal bits and bobs

Paul
06-10-12, 07:07 PM
Grinders are disposable items to me, get 3/4 cheapo ones, one with wire wheel, one for cutting, one with flapwheel. They tend to be smaller (the cheapo ones) so you can get them into tight places. Having a few saves a lot of time when fabricating, one cleans one cuts, one smooths.

turbojolt
06-10-12, 07:55 PM
Grinders are disposable items to me, get 3/4 cheapo ones, one with wire wheel, one for cutting, one with flapwheel. They tend to be smaller (the cheapo ones) so you can get them into tight places. Having a few saves a lot of time when fabricating, one cleans one cuts, one smooths.

i can see that being really handy, but for me personally, sat in my garage spending more time scratching my head then actually doing anything might be a bit overkill lol

Novasport
06-10-12, 08:14 PM
Are you on about the tie rod nut at the front cross member bracket?
What size is the nut? Are you using a 12 point or 6 sides socket. You got a compressor to run an air gun?
You going to Heritage Centre open day tomorrow?

turbojolt
06-10-12, 08:27 PM
Are you on about the tie rod nut at the front cross member bracket?
What size is the nut? Are you using a 12 point or 6 sides socket. You got a compressor to run an air gun?
You going to Heritage Centre open day tomorrow?

yer mate the cross member bracket with the bushes, nut is a 22, i dont have a compressor right now (something im looking at)

you have lost me at the heritage center opening day? where/what is it(other then a opening day lol)?

Novasport
06-10-12, 08:35 PM
Vauxhall's Heritage centre at Luton where they keep their car collection. VBOA have an open day there.

What type of socket have you used on the nut? Have you rounded it off?

Do you have a welder?

Edd
06-10-12, 08:41 PM
Bolt it on the car and use a breaker bar

You won't shift it if it's off the car IMO

WTF is all this grinder talk ffs lol you lot taking advice from Baxter?

turbojolt
06-10-12, 08:43 PM
the bolts not rounded, been using a 6 sided socket mainly, ive got a gasless mig welder, not sure if its still working after i chucked it the the shed when it pissed me off!

might pop down to that opening day you got any links?

mowgli
06-10-12, 08:44 PM
ok... proper advice time... murder the nut.. you can always buy a new nut.. hacksaw into it, hammer & cold chisel it.. basically chop the nut to bits leaving the threads on the bolt.. then you can clean the threads up & fit a new nut.

Edd
06-10-12, 08:49 PM
You'll never cut it off without fcuking the threads up IMO

Just bolt the bracket on the car and use a breaker bar job done

mowgli
06-10-12, 08:56 PM
You'll never cut it off without fcuking the threads up IMO

ok, it might be a fiddle, but i've had to do it times to shagged nuts

Novasport
06-10-12, 09:01 PM
Its not like it's a rounded off 13mm though, it's a 22mm nut so there is plenty to grip on to get it off without resorting to splitting the nut.

Edd
06-10-12, 09:04 PM
Breaker baaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS lol

brainsnova
06-10-12, 09:10 PM
Andy can remove them without a sweat lol

turbojolt
06-10-12, 09:25 PM
I'm going to try and bolt it to the car and have another go tomorrow, its not strength thats failing me, its holding the ******* still!!!

paul james
06-10-12, 09:42 PM
Cut the nuts!? you'd have to buy new ones then! I bet the nuts comes off easily enough once the the tie bars are secured to the car.

Andy
06-10-12, 09:44 PM
some of the comments in here just equate to fukk all but....

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXiqLzvkH2ZzNEL6-FDxNCSXHCxplvZO9m4RUgMimbXzBMGZdOSw