:(

Edd
04-10-12, 01:16 PM
That's not good

Really can't see what harm it does, not like it's taking money off them

Good job I have EPC lol haven't used it since opeloem has been available tho

Iain
04-10-12, 01:20 PM
I rang my local Vauxhall dealer yesterday and he asked where I got my part number from straight away, so they must have had some sort of internal communications about it!

turbojolt
04-10-12, 01:20 PM
i dont understnad why they must hand over the domain name :tard:

Iain
04-10-12, 01:31 PM
i dont understnad why they must hand over the domain name :tard:

They don't have to, they're asking them nicely. Then getting legal on their ass when they don't. lol

Mark
04-10-12, 01:46 PM
Doubt It'll make much difference but I just e-mailed ksruisi@lawabel.com a strongly worded message..lol

NoVaBoOt26
04-10-12, 02:09 PM
http://opeloem.com/warning.html

That's just silly, I think they should grow up

Novasport
04-10-12, 02:29 PM
Oh well, puts the Ebay sellers distributing dodgy copies of EPC back in business.
Glad I have my genuine original copy to refer to :)

Edd
04-10-12, 02:33 PM

how grateful i am that you pointed me in the direction of those original ones lol

Novasport
04-10-12, 02:37 PM
Thing is, the owners of the website were doing that for free. Us car enthusiasts will now have to buy copies of EPC, mostly dodgy knock off's that make the software pirates money! Oh well.

Edd
04-10-12, 02:40 PM
i really don't see what the big problem is ?

my mate down on the parts desk at vauxhall is happy that i just go down with part numbers saves him trawling through it all

Novasport
04-10-12, 02:41 PM
Exactly, makes their staff more efficient lol.

A11VXL
04-10-12, 04:13 PM
i really don't see what the big problem is ?

my mate down on the parts desk at vauxhall is happy that i just go down with part numbers saves him trawling through it all

Completely agree there's nothing better than when someone come's in with a list of part numbers, its save so much time finding chassis numbers / trim codes etc

paul james
04-10-12, 04:54 PM
How lame, Vauxhall themselves should have this online anyway. Also I find it wierd that Vauxhall have no proper way to order parts online, its a right pain having to go all the way to a dealer parts desk to order/collect something, plus I don't like the dirty look I get for asking for a Nova part!

Is there an easy way to download the whole Nova section of the site in one go, without having to save each individual page?

Edd
04-10-12, 04:59 PM
I might start selling copies of EPC if it shuts down lol

Jack
04-10-12, 05:05 PM
Was wondering when that site would get DMCA'd lol

They could get round it by extracting every single part number and item description and just posting that, as I would guess the part numbers aren't copyright (just the software and diagrams). The domain name could still be trademark infrigement though unless they made it pretty clear on the site they weren't affiliated with Opel/GM etc

Acerliam
04-10-12, 05:28 PM
I might start selling copies of EPC if it shuts down lol

I'll take one mate if it shuts down

Edd
04-10-12, 05:48 PM
That would be illegal lol

Andy
04-10-12, 05:50 PM
Peugeot and citroen have servicebox which is all the part numbers available for all to see for free so why cant vaux/opel??

mowgli
04-10-12, 07:42 PM
Was wondering when that site would get DMCA'd lol

They could get round it by extracting every single part number and item description and just posting that, as I would guess the part numbers aren't copyright (just the software and diagrams). The domain name could still be trademark infrigement though unless they made it pretty clear on the site they weren't affiliated with Opel/GM etc

the bottom of that page states just who owns the trademarks, and as opeloem is not a for profit organisation, it would be fun to see this getting to court..

just where is it based?? and then just where would it be heard in court?? and then just who is registered as the domain owner? i wouldn't be surprised if this is speculative lawyering... why would a law firm based in new york be working for opel & vauxhall? when their trademarks will be registered in their respective countries.....

if opel oem simply moved the website to a new domain, how would the lawyers chase them round the internet??

it reminds me of a story i heard some years ago, where american lawyers were cold calling people who happened to have the same name as a villain in a book, then trying to get them to sue the publisher for defamation......

isn't trademark infringement all about trying to make money from unauthorised use of the trademark?

Jon_nova1
04-10-12, 09:07 PM
something doesn't seem right with that and if it does happen to be legit then i'd suspect GM have an idea on what to use thier newly claimed domain name for

Mazz
05-10-12, 12:02 PM
Oh well, puts the Ebay sellers distributing dodgy copies of EPC back in business.

You still shouldn't have it though, regardless whether its real or not..

Jack
05-10-12, 01:59 PM
I thought EPC had to be licensed to be legit, and generally speaking its only garages/dealers who are licensed?

There have been cases of people having to give up domain names in trademark disputes. As for the lawyer being New York based, could be a GM led thing. The DMCA thing just relates to the content, as technically the EPC could be considered a control mechanism to protect all the part numbers and suchlike.

Edd
05-10-12, 02:17 PM
I ain't too clued up on tech stuff

But the first copy of epc I had logged on to Russian Opel then you changed language to English

That stopped working I presume when they found out lol

The official uk version I have now work exactly like my mates down the dealers lol

Andy
05-10-12, 04:14 PM
why are the parts numbers cloak and dagger ffs,its only a load of bits for shyte 80s and 90s rotboxes lol

Jack
05-10-12, 05:19 PM
Its not the part numbers, its the program itself (EPC) and the techincal diagrams and any associated documentation. As said, if the just posted a list of part numbers they'd probably be ok, but then most of that you can get from aftermarket suppliers anyway.

I manage a similar thing to EPC/Haynes but for helicopters (Merlin, Apache, Wildcat, Lynx) and you wouldn't believe how funny people get over copyright on the workings of it lol

Benn
05-10-12, 06:34 PM
Shame its not downloaded in a pdf.

leggattr
17-10-12, 11:38 PM
Well just tried logging on and it's gone!! Don't know when as I haven't used it for a week. Where do we go from here for part numbers?

Novasport
18-10-12, 02:41 PM
You still shouldn't have it though, regardless whether its real or not..

I'll keep using it until the lawyers letter lands on my doorstep ;). If I could not use it I have a 10 second walk from where I sit at work to the latest licenced copy I can look at with no bother :p

Nova_Tek
21-10-12, 11:33 PM
Only just realised it's gone... I now need to go describe and hguide my local parts desk to the part I need, tka etheir time up, waste other customers' time too coz the butter in front of them i.e. me is asking for parts that are no doubt hard to find and don't exist. Not only that I now have to call up autovaux and get part numbers to then order obsolete parts using gps :(

Oh well Tuesday I have to make my way to vauxhall again!

pie
07-11-12, 05:25 PM
taaaaaaaaaaaa daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :)

http://ecat24.com/opel/catalog/models/1/

raf24
07-11-12, 06:42 PM
Well done mate,cheers.

Edd
07-11-12, 06:45 PM
Rep for Pie

Graeme
07-11-12, 06:47 PM
I don't speak french

Southie
Nice find Mr Pie ;)

I need to find a decent site ripper for a Mac now lol

Southie
I don't speak french

It has a GB option ;)

turbojolt
07-11-12, 06:59 PM
pie your a ledgend!!!!

XXXXXxxxxXXxXxXXXxxxxxxXXXxXxxxxxxxxHUGGSxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXxxXxxxxx

leggattr
07-11-12, 11:25 PM
I found that last week, hope the Internet spy's don't see this now and shut it down!!

Edd
07-11-12, 11:26 PM
I found that last week, hope the Internet spy's don't see this now and shut it down!!

thanks for letting everyone know lol

leggattr
07-11-12, 11:28 PM
Googles your friend!! As I found.