PDA

View Full Version : saab 93 LPT T25

Edd
03-10-12, 08:45 PM
Will this be suitable for my 1300 Turbo conversion?

Reason I'm asking apart from have no idea lol is that the T2 I have that's originally from the conversion is totally fcuked, shaft has 15mm of in out play and the actuator is rusted solid lol so fit for the bin

The Saab 93 turbo will straight fit on to the Courtenay manifold as well

Ideas/suggestions /opinions please :)

Edd

Count Vaux Alot
03-10-12, 11:24 PM
Required power?

Stuart
04-10-12, 09:12 AM
Wont be over 150bhp... lol

Edd
04-10-12, 09:27 AM
The bits I have are

Courtenay manifold
Stainless 2" straight through exhaust
1600 head and cam C16se
Saad AFPR
Megasquirt V3 ecu

So a turbo suitable for that lot really???

Could get the Saab HPT?

Stu, 150bhp is what I would like, obviously more would be great

ANY ideas and input at this stage would be great

Edd
06-10-12, 06:36 PM
Anyone else with ideas of what I could do turbo wise?

Stuart
06-10-12, 06:37 PM
You dont 'really' need the horrid SAAD thing with the megasquirt.

Edd
06-10-12, 06:46 PM
So the GM fuel reg will be fine then Stu?

I can get a Saab turbocharger for £75 from a mate at the scrappy

Stuart
06-10-12, 06:47 PM
Should be fine... Dont blame me if you nuke the engine. But there is infinitely less chance of that with the GM one than the SAAD

I'd go for a Weber one from the likes of Burton for a Cossie.

Paul
06-10-12, 07:11 PM
Ive never heard of saad but sard are about the best you can get, weber ones are also v good.

Dont bother buying a second hand turbo. Go direct to a turbo place and buy a re-con one. A second hand one will almost defo need a rebuild, and/or a new exhaust housing etc etc.

Spudly
06-10-12, 07:38 PM
Stu, 150bhp is what I would like, obviously more would be great

Fit an xe then lol

Edd
06-10-12, 08:56 PM
Fit an xe then lol

Been there and done it years ago, never ever again as I actually like going round corners instead of ending up through the hedge parked up next to livestock :d

Andy
06-10-12, 08:59 PM
lol is that livestock with "rank white bits" on?

Edd
06-10-12, 09:00 PM
I don't live in Wales

Spudly
06-10-12, 09:07 PM
Been there and done it years ago, never ever again as I actually like going round corners instead of ending up through the hedge parked up next to livestock :d

I said an xe not a v6 lol

There mustve been something wrong with yours then as mine corners fine, i enjoy the twisties in mine more than the straight lines tbf, but then again wasnt yours crashed and bodged up, that mightve been why :eek:

Edd
06-10-12, 10:22 PM
Mine was only crashed and bodged up when I sold it lol before it was fine in a straight line

Spudly
06-10-12, 10:38 PM
Still mustve been something wrong with yours as mine goes round corners as fast as i want to pilot it, i dont run a front arb, and ive taken corners hard enough to come out of them needing a bit of opposite lock :d

Edd
06-10-12, 10:52 PM
Yours must be a complete death trap with no front arb lol

Stuart
06-10-12, 10:53 PM
Worms, can....open lol

Andy
06-10-12, 11:02 PM
oh yawn lol

Spudly
06-10-12, 11:04 PM
Yours must be a complete death trap with no front arb lol

Clearly not as it goes round corners, id be more willing to argue that seen as how ive had two xe novas now, managed to drive them both hard, and take corners in them, and that youve had one, and crashed it...

That its actually you thats the death trap as you simply cant handle the power, or cant drive..?

Food for thought, just putting it out there :p

bazil
06-10-12, 11:05 PM
Fiesta rs turbo T2 ?

Stuart
06-10-12, 11:07 PM
Would a "little" vag turbo not do the job... And more likely be non shagged. Or like Paul said, get one from a refurb place.

Andy
06-10-12, 11:07 PM
I also ran no arb on the exact car,but with cesaros,handled nice,certainly no 205 gti but certainly wasnt understeer city

bazil
06-10-12, 11:10 PM
Do vag not usually run KKK units that use the manifold as part of the turbine housing ?

Mines like that K04 on the s3

Stuart
06-10-12, 11:18 PM
Do vag not usually run KKK units that use the manifold as part of the turbine housing ?

Mines like that K04 on the s3

Whatever is on big ghey toms car is separate.... But IMHO that's a shade big for a 1300, maybe the one on the 1.2tfsi engine.

Edd
07-10-12, 06:57 AM
Clearly not as it goes round corners, id be more willing to argue that seen as how ive had two xe novas now, managed to drive them both hard, and take corners in them, and that youve had one, and crashed it...

That its actually you thats the death trap as you simply cant handle the power, or cant drive..?

Food for thought, just putting it out there :p

lol oh I can drive

I didn't crash it as such, a badger ran out in front of me at 70mph, which ripped the front wheel out of the top mount and bottom arm, top mount was 10mm out, bumper and wing ruined, badger fcuking walked off as well ffs lol promptly repaired and sold on lol

ARB and XE's are personal preference tbh, I think a xe takes away what a Nova is all about that's all

Think I might just get a new Turbo tbh, I was just hoping for a cheaper option really

mowgli
07-10-12, 07:56 AM
do the badgers round your way carry grinders????

Edd
07-10-12, 08:10 AM
Not that I know, why?

mowgli
07-10-12, 08:48 AM
cos they do some amazing damage to cars... lol... no wonder they are shooting them

Edd
07-10-12, 08:53 AM
Few months ago my dad hit one in his 107, was almost a write off, a right mess, they are seriously like a big block of concrete

You ought to here the fuss about badgers down here, it's a joke tbh, farmers I know fill in badger sets, burn them out lol etc etc then you got the animal rights people..........

Spudly
07-10-12, 09:34 AM
lol oh I can drive

I didn't crash it as such, a badger ran out in front of me at 70mph, which ripped the front wheel out of the top mount and bottom arm, top mount was 10mm out, bumper and wing ruined, badger fcuking walked off as well ffs lol promptly repaired and sold on lol

ARB and XE's are personal preference tbh, I think a xe takes away what a Nova is all about that's all

Jeeeesus thats some damage, there mustve been some underlying rust isuues to allow that kind of damage surely, i know animals can cause massive damage though, im sure we have all seen the picture of the bmw 5 series that hit a fox circa 110 mph and it was at the back of the bay having gone through the block itself :eek:

I do understand what you mean about an xe and nova though, its like my mate said about his mini, he had a bike carbed nova now owned by tommy (24sevenslacker) on here and he said it was fun on the twisties but you have to back off on the corners as its too fast for them, however there is something infintely more enjoyable about pushing his (proper) mini cooper on the edge flat out without backing off on the corners, through the same twisties on the same road!

Count Vaux Alot
07-10-12, 11:01 AM
Dont bother buying a second hand turbo. Go direct to a turbo place and buy a re-con one. A second hand one will almost defo need a rebuild, and/or a new exhaust housing etc etc.

I agree here, chances are (and I see it all the time) that the scrap yards turbos fooked too. I would also say the T2 is better suited. The T25 from the saabs a little large.
There isn't that much more that would be as simple and as suited as the T2 given the flange size you have and the fact that the T2 has a simple inlet and outlet on the compressor side.

Most of the small vag stuff has awkward flanges and or inlet/outlet pipework making it a pain to fit.

Edd
07-10-12, 11:09 AM
I agree here, chances are (and I see it all the time) that the scrap yards turbos fooked too. I would also say the T2 is better suited. The T25 from the saabs a little large.
There isn't that much more that would be as simple and as suited as the T2 given the flange size you have and the fact that the T2 has a simple inlet and outlet on the compressor side.

Most of the small vag stuff has awkward flanges and or inlet/outlet pipework making it a pain to fit.

Cheers for the input, as you've going to be in the know, how much is a brand new T2? I have a T2 but it's totally ruined, Mega mega play in shaft,and actuator is a rust ball, better to get it refurbished? And get new actuator? Or cheaper to buy it all new?

Count Vaux Alot
08-10-12, 10:46 AM
Technically T2's arnt available new anymore so any 'new' ones are likely to have been build up out of individual components or contain some reman parts. So my advice would be to get yours looked at as it may well be repairable.

What was it off of originally? And is the turbine housing cracked?

If its off of something really small it would probably need upgrading to see you at the 150hp comfortably - during reman would be the ideal time for this.

Edd
08-10-12, 11:04 AM
I don't actually know what it's from originally, it came with the engine and was what was originally what Courtenay fitted when the conversion was done 15+ years ago I would think

I will check for cracks and report back

It looks quite small tbh, I will go take a pic of it now

Edd
08-10-12, 11:31 AM
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/EDDRODGERS/20121008_112036_edit0.jpg

Can't get the downpipe off as someone rounded the bolts off years ago by the looks or it

Will cut them off and have a look over next few days

Check the actuator arm out F lol

Count Vaux Alot
09-10-12, 10:05 AM
Is there a pic there as I can't see it - may be as I'm on a mobile?

Edd
09-10-12, 10:21 AM
Yep there is a pic, probably need to get better ones tho

Will do that today

Count Vaux Alot
09-10-12, 07:08 PM
There isn't one part of that that doesn't look like a bodge! Lol

Edd
09-10-12, 07:12 PM
lol I know that's why I was looking at another complete unit

_Jake
13-10-12, 01:26 PM
boy i know has a R5GT turbo on his vtr engined ax which is making around 170 (so he says anyway) maybe one like that?

Count Vaux Alot
13-10-12, 07:14 PM
The unit he has is something similar to a R5GT turbo already. To make 170hp it need to be a hybrid of some sort.

Edd
13-10-12, 07:28 PM
James, is the one I have scrap?

Or is it possible to repair it? And make it capable of more power?

Count Vaux Alot
13-10-12, 09:50 PM
Pm'd Edd.