PDA

View Full Version : cost, reliability and useability

novalew
02-10-12, 09:37 PM
I have been thinking about what engine to use in my project for the last few months as the pot is growing to purchase one.

I was going to go down the xe route, but I always wanted to build a 20let nova. But then after seeing members cars I have been toying with the 3.0 v6. So I did some "googling" and stumbled across remote turbo systems
Has anybody on here done that to the v6?

I was also wondered how people found their v6 and their reliability, cost etc compared to the infamous 20let.:thumb:

mowgli
02-10-12, 09:43 PM
remote turbo, as in one where the exhaust backbox used to be????

they originate in the states, and on things like corvettes, its an easy place to fit one, as the corvette is grp & would cost lots to heat shield it properly.... & sorting out the oil feed & return would be interesting, as would finding room for the air intake pipe all the way from the back to the front

also, 99% of yank cars are automatics, & 99% of yank roads are dead straight, so turbo lag isn't much of a problem.

remote turbo'ing a 3.0 v6 in a nova is a bit of overkill...

300 hp would not be too difficult to get out of a 3.0 without a turbo... & the torque would be awesome.

Stuart
02-10-12, 09:54 PM
Turbo ontop of the gearbox, job done.

Hobbit
02-10-12, 09:59 PM
David Dixon seems to be doing ok without a turbo, albeit a fair bit of laughing gas.

novalew
02-10-12, 10:17 PM
It's literally just an idea I had. Are the v6's fairly reliable? it's only going to be a fair weather car so won't be doing massive miles, just looking at reasonable options. I think I need some friendly members to take me out.

also the reason why i suggested remote turbo was because i heard that they like to get very hot on the rear bank

is the 3.0 v6 turbo lump from a saab viable?

Jack
03-10-12, 08:48 PM
The turbo 3.0V6 is a low blow motor and makes less power as standard than the N/A lol

Usual things to look out for on the V6 - CTS, plastic rocker covers, overheating etc. Mine was relatively reliable, only real problems were the CTS and an air leak on the inlet gromits

novalew
05-10-12, 11:20 PM
Which v6 is the best to go for, 2.5 3.0 or 3.2 ? Not just for outright power but for reliability and possible tuning future modifications. or is it a mixture of parts?

Mike
06-10-12, 09:47 AM
Remote Turbo (IMO) is a lot of work for very little gain....

PSi loss over XYZ length of boost pipe, stupid long oil feeds requiring more oil in the system = more strain on oil pump = more transmission loss.

If you were running a 6~700hp rear engined v8 motor then yeah ok probably worth it. A 200hp front engine motor, nah, barely worth the hassle.

£400 Nitrous oxide kit is your friend. 200hp in a bottle. Jobbed.

Jack
06-10-12, 12:36 PM
I've only had experience of the 3.0. Hobbit has the 3.2. Whichever you go for you'll ideally need the inlet from the 2.5 as the 3.0 one doesn't really fit lol

novalew
06-10-12, 05:45 PM
Thank you both. I've decided to forget the remote turbo idea alone. Just gonna go for a v6 . Just got to work which is best. How long did you have yours jack? I know the figures are the sameish but how do they drive compared to a let. Nobby has a 2.5 iirc

Andy
06-10-12, 05:49 PM
Pm david dixon,what that man doesnt know about these engines can be written on the back of a stamp in spray paint lol

novalew
06-10-12, 06:14 PM
Cheers Andy. I have pm'd him

Jack
06-10-12, 06:52 PM
How long did you have yours jack?
Got it on the road May 2009, ran it for two years til I bought the cav.

novalew
06-10-12, 06:55 PM
Cool. Cheers jack. I assume it's a case of big block shafts etc... and a f20 / f28

Jack
06-10-12, 06:56 PM
Yep. Mine ate a couple of F20s though lol

novalew
06-10-12, 07:11 PM
Was thinking f28 tbh. Did you tune it jack?

Stuart
06-10-12, 07:29 PM
I'd seriously consider an F23

novalew
06-10-12, 07:51 PM
To fit an f23 means major surgery to the chassis leg doesn't it?

I may be wrong

turbojolt
06-10-12, 07:58 PM
could he not run a f20 with a beefy 4 paddle type clutch, to help reduce the strain on the gearbox?

mowgli
06-10-12, 08:36 PM
could he not run a f20 with a beefy 4 paddle type clutch, to help reduce the strain on the gearbox?

please tell me how, on gods green earth sticking a heavy duty clutch with a much harsher bite will protect gm's finest, 20 year old & made of toffee, gearbox?????

turbojolt
06-10-12, 08:47 PM
please tell me how, on gods green earth sticking a heavy duty clutch with a much harsher bite will protect gm's finest, 20 year old & made of toffee, gearbox?????

talk from the old skool ford boys, told me a uprated clutch can help reduce the wear and tear on the old boxes, like the t5

i take it you disagree?

Andy
06-10-12, 08:50 PM
A clutch does not reduce wear and tear on the box.Well an "uprated" one certainly doesnt.
Incidentally an "uprated" clutch is 9/10 a paddle friction plate with a standard pressure plate painted red.lol

mowgli
06-10-12, 08:54 PM
a fibre clutch has a much softer bite to it than a 4 paddle sintered metal paddle clutch.

a second hand f20 box needs properly reconditioning, (not a quick steam clean, some alloy wheel acid & some red plastic bungs to make it look good, like most uk recon boxes), with new bearings, the shafts & synchros cleaning & examining, then put back together with new seals. then it might last another 20 years

mowgli
06-10-12, 08:55 PM
A clutch does not reduce wear and tear on the box.Well an "uprated" one certainly doesnt.
Incidentally an "uprated" clutch is 9/10 a paddle friction plate with a standard pressure plate painted red.lol

its well known what red paint can do to performance.... just look at gm spark plug covers lol lol lol