PDA

View Full Version : Garage trying to make money from me?

Daveo
02-10-12, 09:08 PM
Hi I've recently bought my first nova. I've noticed that one of the wheel bearings are going as I can hear it when I get to around 35-40mph. I took the car to a garage today and they said that it was the near side rear bearing that is gone and needs replacing, however I am positive that the noise is coming from the offside rear wheel and in the past mot papers I have it says that the offside bearing has play in it from
The previous 2 mot's. The guy also said the offside one still has life in it but isn't making a noise but will need replacing in the next 6months or so. Is the garage trying to make money out of me by having the near side bearing replaced and then when I drive away the noise will still be there so I will have to get the other bearing replaced ?
Thanks for your help

Nobby
02-10-12, 09:12 PM
if your not 100% hapy take it elsewhere mate or get them to put it on a ramp and spin it to show you. Where are you located enough people on here could change both for less than a garage lol

kent14sr
02-10-12, 09:12 PM
If it was me I would grease the bearings on both sides and retorque the hub nuts.

If that doesnt cure it then replace the bearings - they are cheap and relatively easy to replace so shouldnt cost the earth at a garage.

Spudly
02-10-12, 09:15 PM
Best off getting them both done by the sound of that, how much are they quoting you btw?

You may find that youve got tyre scrub which can make a wheelbearing-esque noise as ive just been shown by my mate, ive always had wheelbearing noise from the back of my nova even though i replaced my bearings about six months and 3000 miles ago, ive just had them done again and the same noise is there from the back, but its due to uneven wear/tyrescrub making road noise!

If you have play in them then have them replaced but run your hand over your rear tyres, if its smooth one way, but feels rough the other way, then this is possibly your culprit:thumb:

Stuart
02-10-12, 09:17 PM
Bearings are so cheap, get both done.... Or ideally use the chance as a way to learn the piss easy job it is.

Daveo
02-10-12, 09:19 PM
Im in croydon. The guy put it on a ramp and span the wheel but I heard nothing and then he took the centre caps off the wheels and said it could be them because they were loose and told me to go for a drive and see of the noise is still there and it was, so I took it back and then they told me to sit in the office and one of them apparently ran the car on the ramp and heard that it was the near side one but when the guy had previously span the wheel there was no noise plus when it was ramped up I tried to see if there was any play in the bearing but there wasn't

Daveo
02-10-12, 09:21 PM
They quoted me about £52 for one to be replaced.

Stuart
02-10-12, 09:25 PM
About £8 per bearing kit, about an hours labour for both, not a terrible price for someone else to do it.

Novasport
02-10-12, 09:25 PM
I can get a quality wheel bearing kit for about £18 inc vat each side and that is a trade price, cheap kits half the price. It is not a big job so can be done fairly easily. Work it out from there.
Spend your money on a Haynes manual, some tools and teach yourself.

Edit

They quoted me about £52 for one to be replaced.

Not a bad price, let em crack on. If they diagnose it and get it wrong then they pay to sort it, ie do the correct one.

Daveo
02-10-12, 09:32 PM
Can I hold them liable for replacing the wrong one?

Stuart
02-10-12, 09:36 PM
No.

craig green
02-10-12, 10:07 PM
I heard of someone being charged £500 for a fr wheel bearing replacement on a Corsa C recently. Now thats being mugged off!

You have to remember that you know your car better than a mechanic is likely to, so use some of your own intelligence to diagnose where the noise is coming from, or by the sounds of it. Let the noise get worse & leave the replacement until it becomes more obvious which bearing is definately the culprit.

Paul
02-10-12, 10:15 PM
Is there no one that way who would do it for a drink. Bearings are a few quid.

brainsnova
02-10-12, 10:20 PM
I left a rear bearing so long it collapsed and the drum cracked and the wheel was rubbing on the arch lol

paul james
02-10-12, 10:49 PM
Replacing the rear wheel bearings really isn't hard, even if you've not done much car stuff before its a good basic thing to replace. Taking out and replacing the races in the drum is the only time consuming part, I used some suitable sized sockets out of my socket set to help hammer them in place. Heres a good guide with photos in to have a look at: http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/maintenance/rear_bearings/rear_bearings.htm

Spudly
02-10-12, 10:54 PM
I can get a quality wheel bearing kit for about £18 inc vat each side and that is a trade price, cheap kits half the price.

It's comments like that, that make me appreciate how good my new job is, I got both rear wheelbearings, and a new outer cv boot for £13 :d

Novasport
02-10-12, 11:04 PM
Might have been the rear axle set TBH, I asked the parts lad to price me some bearings while I was off and he does stuff for cost. My wheel cylinders were meant to be £8 pair but ended up getting them FOC lol

Daveo
02-10-12, 11:22 PM
I know how to replace a wheel bearing but I don't have the time. I need it done before Friday because of a long motorway journey which I would want to bearing to collapse on me. It handy because I can drop the car off on the way to work and then pick it up after so it's a lot easier this way.

SeanWR1
03-10-12, 04:37 PM
I know how to replace a wheel bearing but I don't have the time. I need it done before Friday because of a long motorway journey which I would want to bearing to collapse on me. It handy because I can drop the car off on the way to work and then pick it up after so it's a lot easier this way.

There's your answer, take it to garage.. For the price there quoting get it done :)

brainsnova
03-10-12, 04:47 PM
If you have time to post this thread etc then looks to me like you have the time to do it yourself

Daveo
03-10-12, 07:45 PM
It wasn't even a wheel bearing, I have no idea what it is now