PDA

View Full Version : how do you change a nova windscreen

milwain
02-10-12, 04:40 PM
As. Above what's the best way to change a nova windscreen cheers matt

paul james
02-10-12, 05:23 PM
Its an easier job with a second pair of hands outside the car, so rope in somone to help you. From the inside of the car you want to turn back the rubber and gently push on the glass at the same time, its really easy to crack the glass so take your time and be careful. When putting the new glass in with the rubber seal attached, it can be helpful to lay string inside the lip of the rubber where it will sit on the car, so you can pull the string to get the rubber in place.

milwain
03-10-12, 08:45 AM
Ok mate cheers for that I mite have a go later ill let you no how I get on

mowgli
03-10-12, 11:55 AM
ring a plant glass man & ask him for a price to fit it. he has the skills & tools

marc69
03-10-12, 12:59 PM
I did my first one a few months ago. If the original is damaged, just use a screw driver to prise the rubber from the inside under the lip of the car. I wrked from the drivers top corner, along the top, down both sides then liften it out, obviously the scuttle panel has to vbe covered with towels etc to stop scrathcing. If your keeping the windscreen be very gentle as said above they break easy with uneven pressure.

I tried using the string method with no success so, I put the windscreen in along the bottom, pushed it in and then using screwdrivers patiently. often leaving a screwdriver insitu and using others to move the next inch forward etc. Again, be careful, the screen will easily crack, if you don't feel confident then take the advice above and get it done professionally, probably not that expensive.

Make sure you remove all the old sealant from both the car and rubber, then use new sealant, otherwise you won't get a decent fit.

Stuart
03-10-12, 01:28 PM
It was a good few years ago, but it was only £55 (dropped to much less without a receipt lol ) for a glass chap to replace the screen on my nova.

Novasport
03-10-12, 02:35 PM
Do not use screwdrivers to fit a new screen! You are likely to crack the screen or damage the rubber.
Fit the rubber on the glass then lay string all the way around the groove of the seal(the body fitment side) and cross the string over and leave about a foot spare hanging out both ends. Tape the tails to the glass if it helps while you slot the rubber on as much as you can starting with the edge where the string starts first.
Get someone to put pressure on the screen from the outside whilst you pull the string out from the inside. Roll the string(rotate your hand like you are stirring) if it is difficult to get out and pull it out all the way around. Make sure the screen and seal is seated well.

camels toe
03-10-12, 07:47 PM
When taking the old one out get acouple of quids worth of 2ps and as you turn back the rubber put a 2p behind it so it cant fold back.Do this all the way round the seal then give it a gentle push out from the inside and it`ll start to lift.

milwain
04-10-12, 05:03 PM
Iv done it :) it wasn't as hard a I thought it would be thanks for all your help everyone :)

marc69
04-10-12, 05:42 PM
Well done, everytime you look through it you know you did it!

milwain
04-10-12, 05:54 PM
Lol let's just hope it passes the mot now so I can use it for the winter while the saloon rests