PDA

View Full Version : Correct way to restore novas ?

Peter Pryor
26-09-12, 09:20 PM
Hi guys I wanted a few opinions on the correct way to go about restoring ?

When restoring my way if thinking is to replace everything from new but as we all know parts are becoming hard to come by so I wanted your thoughts on this and wether any of you guys out there had asked the same question .

Powder coating has been on the cards but what how many parts do you powder coat , acid dipping , zink coating etc ? Is there anything to would advise on this ?

As for interior I take it that's a mad hunt to try and find the best and most tidest you can find .

Need some sort if direction you routes to follow when it comes to restoring so please through a few comment my way it would be a great help as I want to get this project under way !

Jeff16v
26-09-12, 09:29 PM
I take it you want to restore the blue mk1 in your avatar, what's the condition of the one you want to restore, underarchs, battery tray, behind rear shocks, rear chassis legs, front cross member, front and rear panel, around front shut tops? These are all the key arears.

It's really a question of how bad the shell and how much you want to spend. Be prepared to search for parts for months and send Every bit for powder coating/plating/painting trimming.etc..is it for show or go?

Once it's finished what will you do next, start again on another..most people enjoy the build..

Stuart
26-09-12, 09:32 PM
Could go old skool and get a sheet of mild to replace everything that is rotten with that.

Benn
26-09-12, 09:47 PM
Anything that's metal and you can remove, chrome, paint or powder coat it.

You can find alot of stuff hidden away new, but you'll pay for it being new. 2nd hand is fine, just clean it up and such before fitting.

Any rust, cut it out and repair.

mowgli
26-09-12, 09:50 PM
learn how to swear profusely too...lol

as above, search out rare bits & store them away. most of us have a shed of bits..

as for the dreaded rust, all can be fixed

Iain
26-09-12, 09:52 PM
Depends how thorough you want to be with a restoration and how original you want it to be when you put it back together

Shell dip, coated, pro painted, everything metal removable shot blast and powdercoat I guess is the ideal route..?

Southie
26-09-12, 09:58 PM
Getting rid of rot and rust is a must.

7ova
26-09-12, 10:19 PM
Depends on how much money you want to spend, what type of result you want,
How long you have to do it and what ever you said to question one and two
Double it.
Stu

Novasport
26-09-12, 10:28 PM
Unless you have a lot of time on your hands and lots of spare cash sell it and spend your time finding a minter to perfect or one that has already been done.

Peter Pryor
26-09-12, 10:44 PM
I take it you want to restore the blue mk1 in your avatar, what's the condition of the one you want to restore, underarchs, battery tray, behind rear shocks, rear chassis legs, front cross member, front and rear panel, around front shut tops? These are all the key arears.

It's really a question of how bad the shell and how much you want to spend. Be prepared to search for parts for months and send Every bit for powder coating/plating/painting trimming.etc..is it for show or go?

Once it's finished what will you do next, start again on another..most people enjoy the build..

thanks for the quick reply dude you answer your question to what rust i have is very little , 1 panel needed replacing and the front end panel too if there is any more rust its only surface so i guess im ok there !

i will be aiming to restore it for shows and pride haha but it would be a first project so i am very excited and i know its going to be a bumpy ride :)

Peter Pryor
26-09-12, 10:48 PM
Depends how thorough you want to be with a restoration and how original you want it to be when you put it back together

Shell dip, coated, pro painted, everything metal removable shot blast and powdercoat I guess is the ideal route..?

yh you got it thats the exact route but then it comes to the engine i currently have a good strong 1 litre engine but i havent heard of my people stripping a 1 litre and then rebuilding it have you ?

Benn
26-09-12, 10:55 PM
I would be different. And different is wow factor.

I'd love to build a totally smoothed bay 1lt lump. There is bugger all on the 1lt so you would look awesome.

Peter Pryor
26-09-12, 11:04 PM
I would be different. And different is wow factor.

I'd love to build a totally smoothed bay 1lt lump. There is bugger all on the 1lt so you would look awesome.

thats a good shout there ben ive been thinking about it alot but could i ask one thing ? the whole engine it self would it be a wise move to restore it all to new ?

Calamity Josh
26-09-12, 11:12 PM
thats a good shout there ben ive been thinking about it alot but could i ask one thing ? the whole engine it self would it be a wise move to restore it all to new ?

if your sticking to the 1l why bother? you can't modify them, just have it out and clean and paint it all up propperly, your never gunna have 100+bhp from a rebuilt 1l

Benn
27-09-12, 07:52 AM
If your sticking with the 1lt lump, i'd change the gaskets and give it a paint to freshen it up. As said a 1lt wont ever give good power.

Peter Pryor
27-09-12, 08:42 PM
if your sticking to the 1l why bother? you can't modify them, just have it out and clean and paint it all up properly, your never gunna have 100+bhp from a rebuilt 1l

hey josh thanks for the message bit as i stated in a previous post i would be looking to restore the 1 litre engine as not alot of ppl do this to look new again ,not that interested in tracking at the moment :)

I guess the benefits of a 1 litre rebuild is for a 1st project its best suited for me :)