PDA

View Full Version : Under arch protection!

hotrod
26-09-12, 05:51 PM
I'm sure there's probably been loads of threads about this topic but I'm about to start getting the front end ready to paint, I know I need to seam seal under the arches (Which are already stripped back to bare metal!) and want to coat it in stone chip but do I prime it before the stone chip then paint it or stone chip, prime then paint? :confused: Also the engine bays being painted at the same time and someone suggested stone chipping the fire wall and chassis legs. Is this something that's worth doing or will it just make it look sh*t?

Iain
26-09-12, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't stonechip the firewall and chassis legs, you'll see it, it'll look crap and add extra weight

I wasn't happy stonechipping straight onto bare metal, I'd want something under it tbh.

hotrod
26-09-12, 06:04 PM
Was thinking that about the fire wall and chassis leg:thumb:! so the arches your suggesting prime,stone chip,prime again then paint?:confused:

turbojolt
26-09-12, 06:07 PM
i have etch primed, high build primed, painted then im going to stonechip and paint again, lots and lots of protection :d

Iain
26-09-12, 06:10 PM
I used POR15 paint on the arches and floorpan before stonechip. Thinking of some alternatives... I'd want something to seal them up and the stonechip to be added protection, rather than the complete protection, if you get me

hotrod
26-09-12, 06:16 PM
i have etch primed, high build primed, painted then im going to stonechip and paint again, lots and lots of protection :d

That sounds like a lot of work to cover with stonechip mate! :p

I used POR15 paint on the arches and floorpan before stonechip. Thinking of some alternatives... I'd want something to seal them up and the stonechip to be added protection, rather than the complete protection, if you get me

Call me stupid but what's POR15? :wtf:

Iain
26-09-12, 06:18 PM
It's a brand of rust protection paint applied directly to bare metal

I'd research chassis paints through Frost and Holden etc, stuff that can be applied directly to bare metal to seal it, then seam sealer, then stonechip, prime and paint (if going body coloured, if not leave it black stonechip) gets my vote

hotrod
26-09-12, 06:22 PM
It's a brand of rust protection paint applied directly to bare metal

I'd research chassis paints through Frost and Holden etc, stuff that can be applied directly to bare metal to seal it, then seam sealer, then stonechip, prime and paint (if going body coloured, if not leave it black stonechip) gets my vote

That sounds like that might be the way ahead! Cheers! :d

turbojolt
26-09-12, 06:44 PM
ask him how much its costs, before getting excited mate lol

Novasport
26-09-12, 06:51 PM
www.rust.co.uk (http://www.rust.co.uk/) do an Epoxy resin paint(Two part with a hardener like you mix Araldite together) and when applied it coats better, grips to the metal better and is harder wearing. Probably much better and cheaper than POR. Their website is very informative aswell with various guides on rust and how to deal with it.

Once you have cleaned the metal and removed then treated any rust I would apply an Epoxy Resin primer paint first, then apply a seam sealer if required, then apply stonechip(Use an overpaintable stonechip) and finish with a 1 pack paint(body colour if desired).

hotrod
26-09-12, 06:51 PM
I had a feeling it wasn't gonna be cheap! :( Now I have a direction though just need to see my paint guy there's got to be a cheaper alternative! Suppose it'll all be good as long as I seal the arches before I cover it in stonechip! :d

Novasport
26-09-12, 06:55 PM
Spending more now will pay off long term as if you don't do it right or use the wrong product it will cost you long term when you have to do it again.

hotrod
26-09-12, 07:10 PM
Thing is the projects been on hold for the last 5-6 years due to a lack of cash! :cry: I'm more scared if I put it off for another year or two it'll never get done. It's already getting harder to get the parts which is pushing the prices up. Even when the car was on the road it was used very occasionally the rest of the time it was dry stored! Anything I do now has to be better than it was. The bodyshop that fitted the inner wings didn't even seam seal them! :tard:

Benn
26-09-12, 07:52 PM
Please please please don't stonechip the bay!

I'd use a e-poxy undercoat/seal (i'm sure Por is) then use a brush-able seam sealant over that on the joins. Then use a spray on underseal. 3M make very good under seals, most you'll need a uncompresser and special end/gun but it's well worth it. It stays flexible even when dry.
I've used it on the undersides of mine, plus about 10 VW campers and a few minis.

hotrod
26-09-12, 08:07 PM
Na binned the thought of stonechipping the bay mate don't worry! Already have the gun and compresser just wasn't sure which order to do it it!:)

Benn
26-09-12, 08:32 PM
No, the gun is a special one that connects to their bag/tins.

hotrod
26-09-12, 09:31 PM
Yeah I know that's what I got. Not the first car I've done! ;) This 1ns for keeps so I thought I'd get it right! :thumb:

Benn
26-09-12, 09:43 PM
Ah then your on a winner, The bag stuff i use is about 15-20£ a bag. It's awesome stuff tho.