View Full Version : How far can you drive when booked for an MOT with no tax etc?

Mazz
23-09-12, 09:11 PM
As above basically, is there a limit?

Basically, I'm putting my brother's Landy on eBay and while searching on other auctions, someone has put "no T&T so will need trailering away, or booking in for an MOT ;)"

His is the same, so was curious!

Jon_nova1
23-09-12, 09:21 PM
technically the closest from what i remember? but i doubt any officer would pursue any offence if it is booked, they would actually just report you to the DVLA and it wouldn't stand very well them trying to take action since you have proof it was going to the nearest MOT station and the car is essentially registered to your address as soon as you sign the V5

paul james
23-09-12, 10:05 PM
I've done this several times due to tax running out before I've finished the car and never go to my nearest, as frankly I don't trust the them. As long as its booked I doubt anyone would make a big deal about it. Obviously booking an MOT at the other end of the country probably wouldn't be wise, and if its blatently not MOT pass worthy you'd probably be in trouble if caught.

chrisd1986
23-09-12, 10:22 PM
Ive done it before but was never stopped, i bought a car 100 miles away from home and booked it in near to were i got it from and it passed luckily

Pistol Pete
24-09-12, 06:44 PM
lol my mate bought his Silvia from Ireland. He booked it into the local garage for an mot, then drove it home. He lives in huddersfield!!

mowgli
24-09-12, 06:51 PM
i was in whetstone, near leicester getting my wagon tested & the next bloke in had come 135 miles, cos he needed to get it tested asap & whetstone was nearest to him..

Andy
24-09-12, 06:53 PM
i drove 45miles to a station.Ignorance is bliss

paul080803
24-09-12, 09:39 PM
Although strictly there is nothing in the law stating the distance, I wouldnt like to explain to the police or my insurance company why I had it booked in miles and miles away. Especially if it was a serious accident and I had just purchased the car with no MOT!!

Mike
24-09-12, 09:46 PM
Ive done from Skeggy to my house with no T&T in a Cav lol

Ben
25-09-12, 08:48 AM
I drove a nova gsi from merseyside to bristol with it "booked in for test" at my local garage!

twistysnovagte
25-09-12, 09:07 AM
ive also got to do something similer soon , as in going to pick my car up,
its been off road for a while and will have a m.o.t when i got to pick it up, plus i got insured a couple of week back.
just need to get it to a post office for the tax disk(got a post office book which as the correct amount for the tax disk paid a little over the weeks gone by so not just all at once)

i will have with me;

certificate of insurance
m.o.t certificate
(plus driving license and v5)
is there a risk of a fine if caught driving to the post office?????

Andy
25-09-12, 10:03 AM
only a total ring piece copper would fine you

Ben
26-09-12, 07:35 AM
only a total ring piece copper would fine you

99.99% of them then, infact i have never met one that isnt!