PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else having trouble selling their car?

carrie_girl_wonder
23-09-12, 10:56 AM
I've been hardcore trying to sell my nova for several months now. It's on gumtree, here, pistonheads, facebook and now ebay! I just keep getting people who say they will come and view and then don't. Not even an apology or any notice. So many times I've spent hours cleaning and hoovering, for them to not turn up!!! I'm starting to wonder whether it is just me?!! I've lowered the price so much. My car is in pretty good nick for it's age which I've been told is hard to come by. I just needed a rant as someone has let me down again today :wtf:

Alex J
23-09-12, 10:59 AM
do what i do, no show, or time wasters i just weigh them in , then after people go "ah why didnt you tell me, i would of had that" your not alone lol

Connor
23-09-12, 11:02 AM
do what i do, no show, or time wasters i just weigh them in , then after people go "ah why didnt you tell me, i would of had that" your not alone lol
^THIS its not just cars either, parts aswell. I have just binned about a skips worth of nova bits after being messed about offering them out for FREE :wtf:

Stuart
23-09-12, 11:04 AM
Almost as frustrating as buying a car.... Organise a viewing, travel upto an hour and get a call saying its been sold/not for sale anymore etc. Very annoying.

carrie_girl_wonder
23-09-12, 11:18 AM
I've basically wasted a good part of my weekend, hoovering,washing,polishing my car and then keeping sunday free and not even a message to say they can't make it anymore.I'm so tired of it, as much as a love my car to pieces I need to get rid of it so I might just have to take it to some scrap yard which is a shame as it's in such good condition :(

paul james
23-09-12, 01:07 PM
Don't scrap it! You should be able to sell the car, a few alterations to how you list it will help though.

Take more photos, lots of photos of how the car actually is right now, don't use old pictures. Take photos of all the rust, while it may seem like a good idea to try and hide it in photos, you'll just put people off by not showing it as they will assume its even worse than it is. Take some snaps of the battery tray, each arch, under the car if you can, boot corners all the typical rust traps - wether they are rusty or not. Also personally I'd have it registered with the actual engine it has so the buyer wouldn't have to, it would put me off buying it for sure and as its a 1.2 on the logbook its not technically taxed either.

You should show as much as possible of the car and go into as much detail as you can. Whats the mileage of the car/engine? Was the timing belt done with the head gasket, if not has it been changed at all? if you have replaced brakes, tyres etc recently then mention it. The more detail you give the better the chance you'll have of getting someone who will genuinely want to buy the car and pay for it on the day, as they will know exactly what to expect of the car when they see it in the metal.

Spudly
23-09-12, 01:45 PM
The man above speaks a lot of sense, its all down to how you portray your car, it always amuses the hell out of me when people post items up for sale, with a vague description, and either no pictures, or pics that were clearly taken using a calculator, and then get annoyed when it doesnt sell, or simply post up 'pictures available on request', if youre willing to go out and take pictures for those who ask, then why not do it in the first place?

Ive not had much experience selling, but the items i have sold, ive taken a few clear photos, detailed any issues or damage, and clearly stated about whatever the problem is, and shown it as such, and with the exception of the cav mk3 SRi skirts and spoiler i have, everything ive put up for sale, has sold, and pretty much for what i asked aswell:thumb:

turbojolt
23-09-12, 02:06 PM
like this one spud clicky (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?190550-2.0-16v)

i agree with the above two, the reason alot of cars/items take ages to sell are down to one of two reasons

-poor advert
-overpriced

still no excuss for waisting your time tho thats just a pisstake

Spudly
23-09-12, 02:16 PM
like this one spud clicky (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?190550-2.0-16v)

Lol, exactly, like anyone would spend anything more than a tenner on an engine they cant even see running, sod that im afraid!

I think Stupot is also in the same boat though (going back on topic) he has been trying to sell his 1.6 16v saloon for ages now, and keeps getting silly offers, it wasnt so long ago that people were shagging their sisters to get a two door loon, he can hardly give his away :eek:

MK999
23-09-12, 02:22 PM
I spent about £150 on engines I couldn't see running, I'm not reusing any wearing parts anyway :p

Mike
23-09-12, 03:34 PM
Almost as frustrating as buying a car.... Organise a viewing, travel upto an hour and get a call saying its been sold/not for sale anymore etc. Very annoying.

This.

I fcuking HATE buying cars with a passion! Me & Mrs Mike done nearly 150 miles all over the birmingham/central midlands area yesterday looking at Astra's.

Finally found a clean all the way out by my work (Nuneaton).

L33 LEG
23-09-12, 03:53 PM
I looked at the for sale ad and it clearly needs new pictures to show what the car actually looks like now. That said though, im surprised it hasnt been sold because it looks (or looked) pretty decent and for the price with that amount of tax and text on is decent enough. As somebody said, take more detailed pics of the important areas and re-write the ad.

When i sell things all i do is write a good ad and some decent pictures and things sell very quickly. As for time wasters, that's just something that happens too often and you cant do anything about it really. At least you know that if you have described the car as it is when that one person does come to view they'll buy it there and then.

I'll give you £300 for it by the way lol

Stuart
23-09-12, 04:21 PM
If it wasnt a bigblock 1.6 I'd be all over that like a dose of the clap. (I see this is also a sly way of drumming up interest in the advert btw ;) )

MK999
23-09-12, 04:24 PM
If it's big block chuck an XE in over a weekend and demand 2k for it like every other half assed XE conversion lol

General Baxter
23-09-12, 06:00 PM
yep im having silly trouble,

no one wants high performance 4 door saloons that only run on ron97 + fuel lol

General Baxter
23-09-12, 06:01 PM
Finally found a clean all the way out by my work (Nuneaton).
did it smell of curry ?

Edd
23-09-12, 06:03 PM
yep im having silly trouble,

no one wants TO BUY FROM ME a high performance 4 door saloon that only run on ron97 + fuel AND IS PROBABLY FULL OF BODGE lol

General Baxter
23-09-12, 06:05 PM
doubt that very much, i even take it to VW to have its alloys rotated, **** playing with cars anymore lol

mowgli
23-09-12, 06:09 PM
did it smell of curry ?

i was keeping out of that particular line of conversation lol lol

turbojolt
23-09-12, 06:16 PM
did it smell of curry ?

lmfaoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mowgli
23-09-12, 06:18 PM
i was going to ask if the real owner actually knew you were buying it...

stupot89
23-09-12, 09:27 PM
Lol, exactly, like anyone would spend anything more than a tenner on an engine they cant even see running, sod that im afraid!

I think Stupot is also in the same boat though (going back on topic) he has been trying to sell his 1.6 16v saloon for ages now, and keeps getting silly offers, it wasnt so long ago that people were shagging their sisters to get a two door loon, he can hardly give his away :eek:

This is true I got that pi55ed off in the end I gave up trying to sell it even though I needed to I decided to keep it just can't do with idiots that think they could get it for £500

brucer
30-09-12, 04:01 PM
i know the feeling, still trying to sell my red GTE. was sold on ebay for £1700, the bloke made a bank transfer of £200 and i never heard off him again.

has another bloke that wanted it up in yorkshire, asked if i could trailer it to him etc, sounded genuine and then he said he couldnt afford it.

nice plug to say its still for sale. lol

dean054033
01-10-12, 10:22 PM
would you post a link 2 advert. mite as well have a look nd see if any1 i know is interested

Tommy_nova
01-10-12, 10:27 PM
sold now dean :)