PDA

View Full Version : weighing up my options

turbojolt
19-09-12, 11:28 PM
So then i currently have a engine in pieces all over my garage floor, Ive never rebuilt a engine before and i can already tell its going to take me ages to do so, especially when i didn't get to take it apart in the first place :roll:

so right now I'm juggling a few options around in my head hole

-rebuild the engine and dont have the car on the road for ages

-buy a secondary engine to run while rebuilding the other one

-sell the engine thats in pieces and buy one ready built

-last resort, sell everything and just give up on the whole idea, be a grown up save money for a mortgage and drive a mondeo

I'm leaning towards buying a second engine to run while building the other one, but i know that could end in a mine field of problems

really stumped with this one so any help and or advice would be great :thumb:

Nova_Tek
19-09-12, 11:33 PM
what engine is it?

Iain
19-09-12, 11:40 PM
It's a 20XE

Buy a working engine, plop it in, then rebuild yours at leisure when it's on the road.

There's not a huge amount to them but when you haven't stripped it down yourself I can see it being daunting

Nova_Tek
19-09-12, 11:41 PM
Id go with that option as you can get XE's for not much.

turbojolt
20-09-12, 12:17 AM
it just a case of finding one close enough and for the right price, might even look at the 8v engines just to get it up and running, that way i can work out any faults braking and suspension wise aswell

Hobbit
20-09-12, 12:29 AM
V6 it and have the same power as a tuned xe? :d

turbojolt
20-09-12, 12:44 AM
V6 it and have the same power as a tuned xe? :d

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm how much do they go for now days?

mowgli
20-09-12, 05:24 AM
pence compared to an xe...

or buy an old style 1800/2000 ecotec... they fit the same & are massively cheaper than an xe.

turbojolt
20-09-12, 09:56 AM
the small block 1.8 that fits right in is the x18xe1 right?

there on ebay for les then 200 quid, whould they be any good?

turbojolt
20-09-12, 10:44 AM
never mind, found a xe with all the bits and bobs like ecu, loom, manifold etc for a bargin price :d

Alex J
20-09-12, 12:39 PM
burgo

pottersrebel
20-09-12, 07:36 PM
What about getting a qualified engine builder to rebuild it for you? obviously cost would be a bit more but if you have all the parts ready to go they could have it done in a day?? plus you`d get piece of mind that it was done right.
My stock car engine builder is based in mansfield if you went that route. Just another avenue to consider??

turbojolt
20-09-12, 07:40 PM
What about getting a qualified engine builder to rebuild it for you? obviously cost would be a bit more but if you have all the parts ready to go they could have it done in a day?? plus you`d get piece of mind that it was done right.
My stock car engine builder is based in mansfield if you went that route. Just another avenue to consider??

thanks for that mate, now ive bought a second engine im going to give it a go my self :d this way i can take my time and do a few more trick bits that i wouldnt have bovered doing before