PDA

View Full Version : Pug 207 1.4 petrol 88 brake

DAFTJOHN
19-09-12, 12:59 PM
The girlfriend has one and it's slow but worst of all no torque. It's 88 brake and 135 nm torque. A chip says it'll get it to 100 bhp and 149 nm torque. Will this make a difference that would make the car a better drive? Mainly being able to pull out of junctions like most cars can do without it taking an age!

Charge is 245 quid

Balley
19-09-12, 01:03 PM
Test your AMM first, They couldn't be that slow. Easy way for you to test it at home is to unplug it, if it runs the same or better then get a new one, it should run worse unplugged. I have changed loads in the past and it normally transforms the car!

Dan

Stuart
19-09-12, 01:08 PM
far from worth it and it wont make the claimed numbers.

As far as the torque goes its 'only' 14Nm more, and at which point in the rev range.... eg it probably wont help when pulling out of junctions as it'l be right up the top end of the revs.

DAFTJOHN
19-09-12, 01:22 PM
Test your AMM first, They couldn't be that slow. Easy way for you to test it at home is to unplug it, if it runs the same or better then get a new one, it should run worse unplugged. I have changed loads in the past and it normally transforms the car!

Dan

Cheers I'll try that, we talking the air flow Meter?

Ta

DAFTJOHN
19-09-12, 01:23 PM
far from worth it and it wont make the claimed numbers.

As far as the torque goes its 'only' 14Nm more, and at which point in the rev range.... eg it probably wont help when pulling out of junctions as it'l be right up the top end of the revs.

Cheers, I'll try what bailey has suggested

Novasport
19-09-12, 08:21 PM
Is it an 8 valve? If so, they are slow. It's a 20 odd year old engine in a very heavy car.
Does it have an oil leak down the front of the engine?

DAFTJOHN
19-09-12, 09:49 PM
Is it an 8 valve? If so, they are slow. It's a 20 odd year old engine in a very heavy car.
Does it have an oil leak down the front of the engine?

Yep it's the 8v, she got it at 29k and a few weeks after I was smelling oil. Oil all over the alternator and belts. Back to the garage for new alternator, timing belt, water pump and head gasket oh and sump for some reason. Sump gasket is leaking now - it's possible the bolts need tightened.

Novasport
19-09-12, 10:26 PM
Quite a poorly designed head gasket on the 8v, guarenteed to leak oil at some point early in the cars life. How is the rear silencer, brackets fail regularly.

Balley
19-09-12, 11:28 PM
Yeah the air flow/mass metre