PDA

View Full Version : Fitting equal length shafts on small block?

camels toe
16-09-12, 12:28 PM
Is this possible? Ive got a mk2 astra estate with x16 xe with alot of future tuning planned and would like to fit the equal length shaft.
Is there any small block cv`s that will fit.Gearbox is f15 and its got small block struts.
Thought id ask on here as you guys are always swopping small block to big block stuff around.

Lewis.
16-09-12, 06:45 PM
I'm almost certain no small block ever had equal length shafts, and the bit that is going to cause you problems is the fixed shaft, which is only available as big block, and also the lack of anywhere to mount the center bearing to on the small block

I think your best bet, especially if like you say you have a lot of tuning planned, is to just go with an ATB diff of similar. will eliminate the torque steer as you require, as well as the obvious other benefits :thumb:

mk1nova_rich
16-09-12, 06:49 PM
Someone I know was going to look into developing a small block equal length shaft setup, not sure if it got anywhere though. So unfortunately I think you will be on your own here - even the high power baby XE rally Novas are just on standard length shafts with a decent diff

camels toe
16-09-12, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys.I hadnt thought of the mount at all.Just thought if i could possibly swop the outer cv`s for smallblock ones it would be a cheap worthwile mod.Already got the shafts and they made a big difference in my mk2 cav when i put the 20xe in.
Going to be pulling it apart to fit the 1.8 internals and fitting a 4 branch ect so i`ll see how it handles before decieding if it needs a diff.

Iain
16-09-12, 07:25 PM
Money definitely better spent on a nice diff before an equal length setup.