PDA

View Full Version : Decisions decisions

bazzap8389
12-09-12, 12:58 PM
I'm looking into buying a house very soon and would also like to get my nova finished, only problem is the funds if I decide to buy one soon, I currently have 3 cars do I sell one of them to fund the nova or do I just save for longer and just wait a year or so before I buy a house and I can keep all 3? What would you do?

Hobbit
12-09-12, 01:16 PM
I would say some where to live is more important then nova ownership. Saying that I'm now saving for a house after "finishing" the nova.

Edd
12-09-12, 01:34 PM
Scrap them all and live in a cardboard box much cheaper

Jon_nova1
12-09-12, 02:57 PM
I'd say buy a house, the markets slow but i think next summer they will pick up abit, prices tend to fall during winter...really, who can be arsed moving in the freezing wet cold? lol

I bought a house and two years later the Mazda is finally ready to be MOT'd lol

Mazz
12-09-12, 03:24 PM
tbh, i'd try and buy what you want for the Nova before getting a house as it'll 10x more difficult once you've bought one

Edd
12-09-12, 03:28 PM
Totally agree, took me ages to finish the Sport once I got a mortgage again

Do you really need 3 cars? Maybe get rid of one? Not the Nova though lol

Stuart
12-09-12, 03:38 PM
tbh if a nova is stopping you from getting a house I'd be a little more concerned about everything lol

Edd
12-09-12, 03:42 PM
I chose a Nova over the ex Mrs lol she said get rid, I said bye after 8 years of being together lol

paul james
12-09-12, 04:26 PM
What are the other two cars? and how much spending is the Nova going to need?

bazzap8389
12-09-12, 04:35 PM
lol the nova ain't going to stop me getting a house but if I get one I think it might be left to the side and take years to finish so think I might just sell one of the cars and get the nova finished, I have plenty saved for my deposit but don't want to dip into to finish the car off

bazzap8389
12-09-12, 04:36 PM
What are the other two cars? and how much spending is the Nova going to need?

Other cars are 08 a3 tdi as my daily and a gt4 st205 as my bit of fun, guesstimating around 8k to finish it off to the spec I want

Jack
12-09-12, 04:37 PM
Look at the cars you have, why you have them, how much you use them, the value of each etc and compare that to how much you want/need to put into the house money.

Or just do what I'm planning on doing, ditch all three, buy something ridiculous, and just keep renting forever and a day lol

[edit] Don't bother selling the 205, they're not worth sh!t these days. Be better off keeping it!

bazzap8389
12-09-12, 04:43 PM
Look at the cars you have, why you have them, how much you use them, the value of each etc and compare that to how much you want/need to put into the house money.

Or just do what I'm planning on doing, ditch all three, buy something ridiculous, and just keep renting forever and a day lol

[edit] Don't bother selling the 205, they're not worth sh!t these days. Be better off keeping it!

Yeah I was looking at the prices for them and can't justify selling for 4k when I've spent ££££s on it, think il save for a few months more :) cheers for the advice

Hayley
12-09-12, 08:53 PM

http://www.thevervoid.com/media/nostalgia/bigbad.jpg

Southie
12-09-12, 09:02 PM
Houses are a waste of money unless your investing in property, if you've a decent pension you don't need a mortgage IMO.

Renting gives you the benefits of the house and contents being fixed, I know it's dead money but keeping on top of a house is a expensive thing.

Btw... yes I own my own house lol

Mike
12-09-12, 09:07 PM
Sell the cars, buy the house.

Wouldnt even think twice TBH as its a no brainer IMO.

Stuart
12-09-12, 09:34 PM
Houses are a waste of money unless your investing in property, if you've a decent pension you don't need a mortgage IMO.

Renting gives you the benefits of the house and contents being fixed, I know it's dead money but keeping on top of a house is a expensive thing.

Btw... yes I own my own house lol

I agree. I reckon if the rent is no more than about 60-75% of an equivalent repayment mortgage you are better off long term renting

Jeff16v
12-09-12, 09:39 PM
Men don't need houses, women do.
Edit-awaits a women's response, lol

Southie
12-09-12, 09:43 PM
Men don't need houses, women do.
Edit-awaits a women's response, lol

My house is in my name lol
Edit: and the wife knows it lol

Jeff16v
12-09-12, 09:46 PM
:d:d
My house is in my name lol
Edit: and the wife knows it lol
Girl,:d
Good lad:lol

Southie
12-09-12, 09:50 PM
:d:d
Girl,:d
Good lad:lol
I know it's 50/50 once married and all that but I've a shìtload of debt that she also took on board so I'm happy with that lol

Jeff16v
12-09-12, 09:51 PM
I know it's 50/50 once married and all that but I've a shìtload of debt that she also took on board so I'm happy with that lol
Sounds like a keeper then, mine lent me money to buy k767 HUA. She's a good girl (gruff voice)

Southie
12-09-12, 09:58 PM
I sold my Nova so not sure about that Jeff lol... I only jest [one day Mrs South might see this] lol

Jeff16v
12-09-12, 09:59 PM
I sold my Nova so not sure about that Jeff lol... I only jest [one day Mrs South might see this] lol
Surely she is not allowed on the internet until all the washing/cooking/cleaning/pleasing is finished. That should keep her busy forever, lol

Edit - I think the MRI I had today affected my head, lol

Southie
12-09-12, 10:03 PM
All that's in my prenup mate lol

Don't worry your just as sane as the rest of us muppets on here lol

TeddyThom
13-09-12, 12:17 AM
Don't worry your just as sane as the rest of us muppets on here lol

Having met the bloke I'm inclined to agree lol.

I'd probably buy the house to be honest, the interest rates are good for it...

paul080803
13-09-12, 08:18 AM
I agree. I reckon if the rent is no more than about 60-75% of an equivalent repayment mortgage you are better off long term renting

I would agree with that statement, however the figures are very location dependant within the county. House prices vary massively but rental price doesn't vary as much.

My mortgage is full repayment and £740 a month, to rent the same house in the same area would be £1250 upwards. In the last 5 years 'owning' my house it has cost me approx £6k over and above mortgage and standard bills but has increased in value by £25-£30k