PDA

View Full Version : What sort of power?

Calamity Josh
11-09-12, 09:55 PM
Looking at a race car with a redtop in it and it's listed with the following engine modifications-

A solid redline race engine block,steel rods deep pocket forged pistons,arp bolts, full JAC Race exhaust,Lightened and ballanced flywheel and ballanced crank, Coscast polished and ported head,all new valves and bronze guides.Billet high lift cams and solid lifter.DTA engine management and blackbird carbs.

He's quoted me 230bhp, i know rollers generally vary but does that sound a resonable figure? :thumb:

Pistol Pete
11-09-12, 10:22 PM
Sounds pretty reasonable given the list of mods.

paul080803
11-09-12, 10:29 PM
Sounds optimistic to me

Spudly
11-09-12, 10:34 PM
Id say i wouldnt be running much more than 190-200, high 190+ is fairly easy from an xe, but to get it over the 200bhp mark is harder than youd expect!

I dont know the full list of mods on my mate Brodie's XE'd GTE, but thats on bike carbs, has fiddled with internals and is on proper management and thats 195 exactly (iirc thats whp actually, so if your mate has quoted fwhp then it could be right thinking about it)

Martin.p
11-09-12, 11:05 PM
Sounds a bit far fetched to me tbh. The c20let is 204bhp standard and with a few mods you can get 250-270
The ex would of been about 150 new I can't see a rebuild with not much change from standard would add 80bhp! Even a 2.5 that would of been in a cally with mods ( + age) would struggle to make 200 bhp. 230bhp from a xe is 30 more than a turbo ex (c20let)
If he's got print out then it man be more believable.

turbojolt
11-09-12, 11:32 PM
ibtl

Will F
12-09-12, 08:58 AM
Depends completely on:

Compression
Cam Spec
Whether the 'race' the engine was built for had restrictions (rev limits etc)

It could well be 230, but then again - it could be 180....

MK999
12-09-12, 10:18 AM
Depends entirely on the headwork imo, I've seen 200bhp/200ftlb out of a 2.0 with high comp bottom end and completely standard inlet etc, on cams for hydraulic lifters... and they have a worse head than the XE. 230 is entirely possible on TB's and solids, but it does depend on the headwork. Ask him where it was on a rolling road, that will tell you a lot more than guessing at spec.

Hobbit
12-09-12, 10:37 AM
ibtl

Please show me an example where a thread like this actually got locked?

turbojolt
12-09-12, 02:25 PM
Please show me an example where a thread like this actually got locked?

no link, but power figures on here much like you know become a massive bitching point where a select bunch start Willy waving with overinflated chests and blood vessels protruding from there heads

so there always be on the verge of being locked lol

Hobbit
12-09-12, 02:38 PM
You said this last time and it didn't happen :confused:

turbojolt
12-09-12, 02:45 PM
You said this last time and it didn't happen :confused:

you also said in the past, that having a power score board sticked somewhere (like the 1/4 mile times) was a bad idea because of how power graphs etc are received on here, has something changed?

Stuart
12-09-12, 02:51 PM
Josh, its entirely possible with that spec... but a lack of specifics such as bore size, cam profile, rev limits etc isnt helping.

200bhp is actually pretty easy with an Xe, nova--chris has that with crap pistons and T45's lol Granted it had a magic head but hey.

Hobbit
12-09-12, 02:58 PM
you also said in the past, that having a power score board sticked somewhere (like the 1/4 mile times) was a bad idea because of how power graphs etc are received on here, has something changed?

The difference is when someone comes on here saying "gwan blud, my redtop had a stainless back box and halfords universal cone filter. It just got roaded at 200bhp!" They get flamed by the members on here that know the guy is talking bull. Where as if someone is asking for advice because they are looking to spend a big chunk if their hard earned earnings, they get genuine advice from experience car builders that have huge amounts of knowledge. So the odd idiot (no offence :p) sticking in really unhelpful comments like ibtl just stir up... Actually think I covered it with unhelpful idiots. lol . And as for a power board, you would get far too many of the first example and it would just be filled with arguments.

Jon_nova1
12-09-12, 03:05 PM
Its definately possible but more info is needed, mainly the compression specs, without that it could come across as plausable, but if its running lower compression than a standard engine then i doubt its possible

turbojolt
12-09-12, 03:14 PM
The difference is when someone comes on here saying "gwan blud, my redtop had a stainless back box and halfords universal cone filter. It just got roaded at 200bhp!" They get flamed by the members on here that know the guy is talking bull. Where as if someone is asking for advice because they are looking to spend a big chunk if their hard earned earnings, they get genuine advice from experience car builders that have huge amounts of knowledge. So the odd idiot (no offense :p) sticking in really unhelpful comments like ibtl just stir up... Actually think I covered it with unhelpful idiots. lol . And as for a power board, you would get far too many of the first example and it would just be filled with arguments.

no offence taken, you have only jumped on a flippant comment and then called me a idiot for expressing a opinion :thumb:

Edd
12-09-12, 03:24 PM
no offence taken, you have only jumped on a flippant comment and then called me a idiot for expressing a opinion :thumb:

Come on you should of learned that you not allowed a opinion by now lol

Does nearly every thread really need to end up like this? :(

That's not me 'jumping' in before I get flamed

Stuart
12-09-12, 03:43 PM
Come on you should of learned that you not allowed a opinion by now lol

Does nearly every thread really need to end up like this? :(

That's not me 'jumping' in before I get flamed

But you didnt 'NEED' to reply, ergo you are jumping in as you put it :p

Edd
12-09-12, 03:47 PM
Fair enough, flame away lol

Hobbit
12-09-12, 04:35 PM
Meh.

Jeff16v
12-09-12, 05:34 PM
K767 HUA is quoted in the mag at around 230 iirc with QED cams, it maybe more than 230 but my memory is crap, over 200 for sure

Calamity Josh
12-09-12, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys, it's appreciated, don't know much about redtops so wanted to check i wasn't getting fed rubbish

mowgli
12-09-12, 07:38 PM
the main thing is this...

the engine might well have had those modifications, but:
1. is it 10 minutes from blowing up????
2. are the internals still in there???

see if the seller will take the head off for you to check it before handing the readies over....
if yes, then you should be ok.. if no, then 'run forest run'

Calamity Josh
12-09-12, 07:52 PM
the main thing is this...

the engine might well have had those modifications, but:
1. is it 10 minutes from blowing up????
2. are the internals still in there???

see if the seller will take the head off for you to check it before handing the readies over....
if yes, then you should be ok.. if no, then 'run forest run'

He's a well respected guy in autograss, and the car was freshly built at the beginning of the year :) if an engines going to blow up it's gunna blow up at the end of the day

Stuart
12-09-12, 08:09 PM
Indeed, it's gonna die at some point so it's in the roll of the dice