PDA

View Full Version : rac vs aa vs green flag

turbojolt
10-09-12, 06:04 PM
who is the best to go with?

looking at this for my mum after her car broke down in the middle of no where and I'm to far away to help :(, I'm sure she would prefer the money but thats not going to happen lol

please add any experiences you have had with any of them good or bad

:thumb:

novalew
10-09-12, 06:22 PM
green flag offer a reward if not there in an hour and have unlimited call outs

Nova00
10-09-12, 06:27 PM
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd374/gmchess/DSCF4875.jpg

I will vote AA

Mazz
10-09-12, 06:43 PM
Just be sure that they take you home, not just the nearest garage etc

Nova00
10-09-12, 07:09 PM
or breakdown on a Sunday when there was no garage open !

Just be sure that they take you home, not just the nearest garage etc

twistysnovagte
10-09-12, 07:12 PM
im with green flag but havent had to use them yet, so green flag lol

Mark Sparks
10-09-12, 07:27 PM
AA not had to use them yet tho

paul080803
10-09-12, 07:45 PM
RAC for me as I get it free, on my old mans family membership.

Makes me chuckle when I look at the card and it has my name on it with 'member since 1976' next to it! I was born in 83 lol

brainsnova
10-09-12, 07:55 PM
I just buy the right vehicle in the first and never needed breakdown cover

Spudly
10-09-12, 08:10 PM
Ive got RAC membership, but ive never had to use it yet so i dont know :d

Ive got the member cover so its me thats covered and not just the car, but the card stays in the nova lol

Keif
10-09-12, 08:16 PM
They're all much of a muchness. Been with all three, moved when they pi**ed me off. lol

All have had long waiting times, etc.

I'm currently with the RAC
but they don't always send out RAC vans.

Get an RAC man for the initial visit then if you need a flat bed etc it can be to a local company.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i124/Keif_1974/Cars/Lotus%20Carlton/DSC01100-1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i124/Keif_1974/Cars/Lotus%20Carlton/DSC01101.jpg

Ring all three, play them off price/deal wise against each other and get the best deal. Make sure you get home start (or equivalent) and never give them the chance to tell you where they're taking your (your Mums) car. When the RAC came (originally in a van) to the above breakdown he insisted my LC was going to a garage. I pointed out as it was MY car I said where it was going, and it was going home to MY garage. He asked who'd fix it, I answered ME.
Then the chap above came to lift me and was sound, even helped push it down my drive, and he got a brew for his troubles.

Spudly
10-09-12, 08:19 PM
I bet the guy above got a bit moist when he got a callout to a lotus carlton, dead or alive lol

Keif
10-09-12, 08:22 PM
Funny enough he mentioned that.
He'd just walked in from a long day out (after an early get up) the job came through and he thought that's all he needs (just wanted a beer/sleep)
Saw "Lotus Carlton" grabbed his jacket and ran out the door.

Spudly
10-09-12, 08:26 PM
Haha, awesome, that will be why you got good service then :d

Keif
10-09-12, 08:31 PM
Haha, awesome, that will be why you got good service then :d

Used them on my Signum and had the same service.

paul james
10-09-12, 08:38 PM
The service you get is down to when and where you break down, if you do on a busy weekend then you're in for a wait, that can't be helped. I've been with AA all the time I've been driving, called them lots of times so get the moneys worth out of them, they probably hate customers like me!. I've had some really great service, and some long waits, but not been let down. As said get homestart, so the car gets all the way to your house rather than the closest garage.

I just buy the right vehicle in the first and never needed breakdown cover

Ha, you've just been lucky then! you can't predict when some components will decide to die no matter how good the car is.

Keif
10-09-12, 08:55 PM
As said get homestart, so the car gets all the way to your house rather than the closest garage.

:confused:

Home start isn't for your car being brought back to your house if you breakdown.

It's exactly what it says, If you get up in the morning and your car won't start they'll come to your home (or up to 1/4 mile from your home) and get you started.

Royston
10-09-12, 08:55 PM
AA for me,
they have recovered the Nova SR years ago and just after I put her on the road (wheel bearing collapsed even though it was new!)

Sport when the alternator failed,

and my Range Rover when the engine liners failed with the caravan (330 mile back from Dorset)

paul james
10-09-12, 09:06 PM
:confused:

Home start isn't for your car being brought back to your house if you breakdown.

It's exactly what it says, If you get up in the morning and your car won't start they'll come to your home (or up to 1/4 mile from your home) and get you started.

Ah yeah, sorry just typed homestart without thinking :) I meant full recovery not just roadside.

pottersrebel
10-09-12, 09:17 PM
RAC for me had a c2 vtr that was forever breaking down from new and everytime i used the free rac cover that came with the car they were there within an hour, they used to drop me off at home then tow the car back to the main dealer, one time i rang them i ran out of credit on my mobile and the kind operative rung me back as id not been able to give my location.

Old man Jimbo
10-09-12, 10:00 PM
Got to be AA for me. Faultless service several times. So good last time I even emailed the head office to tell them how ****ing awesome they had been.

:roll:
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r18/jimbo_090/121-1.jpg

Iain
10-09-12, 10:50 PM
Had copious amounts of callouts with RAC a few years ago and was always pretty good (theres a maximum number of callouts on there tho). Also had a few dealings with AA and they've seemed good too.

Nick J
10-09-12, 11:00 PM
I thought the AA were ok until they dropped A6VXL off the back of their towing dolley! Even though they paid for repairs I would never use them again as I felt it was down to the technicians incompetance and could have been completely avoided.

Nick.

saloon-mogz
10-09-12, 11:04 PM
the aa are pish i broke down 100mile away from house at 7 pm ish and got home 5.30 am ish 3 tow lorrys later . so im joining green flag next

Hobbit
11-09-12, 08:25 AM
I worked for a local recovery firm and we subied for all of the above. We did loads of work for green flag because they just use who's closest, so their customers were always happy. AA on the other hand would try and cover everything with their own wagons and use us as a last resort. So when we got to their customers they had normally been on the roadside for hours. And AA would blame us even though we'd only got the call 30 mins before hand. :roll:

So I would never use AA. Didn't do much work for RAC so can't comment and Green flag seemed great for customer satisfaction.

rubachuk
11-09-12, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't go RAC. My wife phoned me sometime last year to say the vectra had dumped red oil all over her works carpark. I was pretty sure it was transmission fluid - which it turned out it was. I told her to phone the RAC and get it put on a wagon and taken home. When the RAC guy got there, he had a look and straight away told her there was a big crack in the inspection plate on the bottom of the gearbox and that was why it had dumped its fluid.

He got in it, took it for a drive round her carpark, and then told her to drive it home and he'd follow her. No option of recovery. The wife, knowing less than cock all about cars and feeling pretty vulnerable did it and drove home. She's a very nervous driver anyway and she was in tears when I got home from work.

I was absolutely steaming. In my opinion he bullied her into driving it so he could hit his targets for fixing things at the side of the road.

Not only that, the car had been driven 12 miles with no gearbox fluid and as it turned out a lump of metal about 1/2" square rattling round in the bottom of the box which is what had broken the plate in the first place as it got trapped between that and the gear.

RAC customer complaints were useless. Told me the wife had said she was happy to drive it - erm no - and that she had been given the option of recovery - complete lies. They couldn't see why I was upset about it having been driven with no transmission fluid and a lump of metal banging around the gearbox.

Absolutely shocking company. Go with AA or Greenflag.

Hobbit
11-09-12, 03:59 PM
Was more likely he just didn't want to get his wagon dirty to be honest... I got a major bollocks from my boss for putting a tiny scratch on the bed of my truck. I explained that the car had rolled a few times and had 4 flats and one wheel not really steering but he still wasn't impressed. lol I was just chuffed i managed to recover it.

Jack
11-09-12, 05:25 PM
I've been with RAC for years, I think my dad has Green Flag via his insurance.

I've only ever had to use RAC twice, touch wood, happy with the service both times. I think Riggy had issues at billing once as they refused to come out within 24 hours of him joining though.

As for AA, Lee took pretty much a day to come back from PVS once iirc due to AA relaying him to random services instead of back home lol

Hayley
11-09-12, 09:52 PM
Dont go with AA.
We sometimes call them on behalf of people that have had accidents and the amount of times Ive heard eta's given as well over 2hrs..even if I explain that the car is blocking the road and Police are having to wait at scene until the vehicle is recovered. We normally end up recovering it ourselves..and it ends up cheaper for the driver too.

I normally go with Jack breakdown services. Not the quickest but they always attend...(if they know whats good for them!!) :d

blue_peg_16v
12-09-12, 07:04 AM
Rac there more equipped than green flag to get your car running again rather than tow you home

My reason for saying this is when on my old mans rac had a clutch cable go they came out and made a temporary cable to get me home, when I had to take my own obviously being a northerner I went for the cheapest nationwide policy so greenflag it was lol had a clutch cable go with them and the just towed it, so after that I switched back to rac being towed is a pain in the ass

Jack
12-09-12, 12:35 PM
I normally go with Jack breakdown services. Not the quickest but they always attend...(if they know whats good for them!!) :d
100% roadside fix record!