PDA

View Full Version : Best Springs for a GSI...discuss...

b943weg
10-09-12, 05:25 PM
I have a '91 GSI that's been lowered 60mm, and the ride is terrible...extremely harsh and everytime it hits a pot hole it sounds like the chassis is about to snap in half. Although it does look cool, and handle pretty damn well, I am going to change to springs. The dampers are new, high spec Bilstein ones, so I shall keep them.

What does anyone recommend? I want to go to standard ride height, although I would go to a -20mm set up as maximum drop. I want a decent set up spring...good handling does not mean a terrible ride...fact! I've tried getting standard springs, but Vauxhall don't have any anymore, and the motor factors only stock ones from low quality springs.com. Coilsprings.co.uk can doe me set of 'standard' ones.

What does anyone recommend...Anyone tried coilsprings.co.uk?

phazer
10-09-12, 06:59 PM
I had some -50mm springs made by coilsprings 89 (same as your link above) years ago, they were and still are spot on. I talked through with them what I was after and they got it spot on. I certainly wouldn't go back to standard ride height.

b943weg
13-09-12, 08:05 AM
Bump...

paul james
13-09-12, 08:21 AM
How familiar are you with how a standard nova drives? they don't have tons of sound proofing and such. So if you are used to driving more modern cars then going back to a nova can be surprising.

If you want standard original GM GSI springs then you'll probably be better off buying the complete struts and taking the springs off them. Theres some on ebay right now. A bit of sanding down and some paint will see springs looking like new again, if you want them to. You could then stick your -60mm springs on the gsi struts and make the money back by selling them.

therealnovaboy
13-09-12, 05:02 PM
Would be worth checking the ball joints and bushes. If these are worn they will make bumps sound louder and harsher.

oh yeah, and dont drive over potholes.

Nova_Tek
13-09-12, 05:09 PM
I've only personally driven a standard SR, standard Merit and my Nova lowered by -30/35 on H&R. I can say that comfort and handling wise out of the three setups the H&R''s were best. I've been in a Nova dropped 60 on some cheapo spring kits and that was the worst.

Good shocks help control things if they are worn then it will get crashier. Eibach 40mm springs are meant to be spot on quality too. Get coilsprings 89 to make you some custom ones to made to H&R/Eibach spec.

As said... noise will make things feel worse. Maybe some sound deading inside the doors/wings or on the floor might help the comfort too.

mowgli
14-09-12, 06:07 PM
-30 ones are fine on novas...and about what they fitted on gsi/gte's

have you checked the front bump stops to see if they have been shortened? often, people don't...

also there is a good chance that the original gsi dampers (which is how they lowered them, by welding on the spring platform on lower, so they could still use a long spring) have been replaced with non gsi ones cos they were cheaper, so they will bottom out.

b943weg
16-09-12, 07:05 PM
Cheers people. All of the bushes are new, so its not them thats casuign the overly harsh ride. Also, the front shocks are Bilstein, again new, and the rear shocks are uprated ones, also new.

Bumps stops on the front look like polyurethane ones, again new.

Mowgli, thanks for the info. If the spring platforms are higher, i.e not spec'd properly for a GSI, then surely it would just raise the car's ride height? Or am I missing the point? I think it may be a case of 'coil clash' by having badly spec'd springs. I only live in Earl Shilton, fancy meeting up to have a look?

Cheers
Martin

mowgli
16-09-12, 08:07 PM
i'll see how my week goes, as i drive a wagon & don't really know where i'll end up each day...

Iain
16-09-12, 08:55 PM
i'll see how my week goes, as i drive a wagon & don't really know where i'll end up each day...

Should get a satnav.

lolz