PDA

View Full Version : f15/f17c gear box info needed

dan-gte
10-09-12, 09:10 AM
hey all

im been doing some reserch to find out whitch box would be best to put in my nova rally car the best ratio box i have found is a f15/f17c but im not sure what the boxes came out of from the factory and also not sure if they are the same fitment to fit a small block so if anyone could help would be much appriciated :)

thanks dan

phazer
10-09-12, 07:02 PM
F15 was fitted to the Corsa GSi (x16 and c16 engines), think it was fitted to the x16 sports and maybe some other later sport models. The F17 IIRC was fitted to the diesel corsas.

peester
10-09-12, 08:16 PM
im planning to transition from the f15cr i currently have to an f17; either a standard ratio or close again...
Im not sure about old diesel gearbox's , like phazer has mentioned, but the f17 was fitted in place of f15's approximately 1998 onwards into all manor of small block astras, corsas, vectras, etc. petrol models.
The f17 will handle a bit more torque, is a newer gearbox -plenty about im just hoping it has slightly longer gearing than the f15cr - there are a variety of final drive versions i think, im still pretty new to it and am learning as i go.
The biggy of course is that the f17 is designed for hydraulic clutch relase bearing. So to get it in my nova ill have to retro fit f15 cable clutch release bearing parts/put f17 innards into a f15 case.
The f17 is the 'best'/newest small block old skool gearbox vauxhall did i think.

Just to add- if you want to narrow the search to begin with any x18xe1/z18xe engine'd corsa c sri, astra g sri and vectra b sri came with that gearbox.

whitenovasaloon
10-09-12, 08:28 PM
I would go for an F13 CR for a rally car because the pinion gear is part of the shaft on an F15 (don't know about F17) meaning you haven't got such a good choice of final drive ratios

peester
10-09-12, 08:32 PM
oh, and i dont know how true it is, but its been said that the number represents torque handling. In lbft. So f13 130lbft. f15 150, and so on..

dan-gte
11-09-12, 10:08 AM
thank you all for your help :) appriciate it :)