PDA

View Full Version : strenghting tca arms

turbojolt
06-09-12, 08:22 PM
basically want to know is there any noticeable benefits to doing this?

cheers

Andy
06-09-12, 08:25 PM
it boxes it off.
The theory is good,although just doing that imo isnt good enough,2 tubes in there would be better aswell i reckon
i did it years ago and could i bollox notice owt different

turbojolt
06-09-12, 08:28 PM
waist of time and money then.

Andy
06-09-12, 08:29 PM
I wouldnt say that,just i couldnt notice,and couldnt see how it would work without further strengthening.
I just did it to say i had done it i think lol

mowgli
06-09-12, 08:34 PM
the bottom arms are designed to deform in a crash, and protect the hub & driveshaft.... why beef them up for road/track day??

turbojolt
06-09-12, 08:41 PM
the bottom arms are designed to deform in a crash, and protect the hub & driveshaft.... why beef them up for road/track day??

you appear to have answered my question with a question lol

mowgli
06-09-12, 08:56 PM
bottom arms are very cheap... driveshafts, uprights steering racks & hubs are not...beefing the arms up will just move the damage to somewhere else.

also, think about group n race & rally cars... they had to use std arms, and managed quite well..

paul james
06-09-12, 09:04 PM
Why does anyone buy the strengthing plates then I wonder? is it just a case of people seeing them for sale on perfromance shop sites, magazines etc and assuming they must be a good upgrade?

turbojolt
06-09-12, 09:05 PM
Why does anyone buy the strengthing plates then I wonder? is it just a case of people seeing them for sale on perfromance shop sites, magazines etc and assuming they must be a good upgrade?

ones for the engine bay?

Stuart
06-09-12, 09:07 PM
You can buy precut plates for the arms.

I believe those folks running silly power drag cars would have a twisting TCA issue, for those on track I can honestly not see a problem

paul james
06-09-12, 09:08 PM
ones for the engine bay?

No I mean the bottom arm, you can buy the plates to do it

chimp007_uk
06-09-12, 09:11 PM
I'd personally much rather the arm buckled than put all the force and load into the chassis leg and bend that!

As said, drag cars or rally cars when there's high force loading may well need them.

turbojolt
06-09-12, 09:54 PM
very good, i will put my money to better use (aka pub :d)

Big_Chap
07-09-12, 02:41 AM
I don't see how the arms can twist anyway, the strength of the tie bars will stop and torsion through the arms.

My car has plated arms not boxed (effectively double skinned) but was done when originally built, long before i got my hands on it. I wouldn't have bothered though.

Iain
07-09-12, 09:23 AM
I plated mine as I got the precut plates in a load of parts I received. Theory's good, I couldn't really notice any difference but something like that isn't going to make a massive visible difference I guess.

I can see how the arm could bend slightly, they're flexible by hand when off the car.

Corsa B's must have had them plated/boxed for a reason too?