PDA

View Full Version : Stopping smoking

raf24
05-09-12, 09:34 PM
Going to give it another go after a few failed attempts,just wondered who all smokes on here,ex-smokers etc & how you managed to quit,if anybody has any tips etc.im currently on champix tablets & going to try the nasal spray tomorrow.

Mike
05-09-12, 09:38 PM
I didnt use anything when I quit.

I was just sitting in my mates lounge one day watching tv & decided to give him the contents of my cig box & lighter an that was that.

Few months later I started again, BUT that was because I actually wanted to smoke again as I enjoy sitting in the garden with a coffee & a smoke on. Which is what im about to do now :)

turbojolt
05-09-12, 09:38 PM
my old man if currently using the electronic cigarettes to help cut down, and he has nothing but good things to say about them, i can find out the makes and costs for you tomorow if you like?

turbojolt
05-09-12, 09:43 PM
the other thing he was telling me was if you smoke something between 30 & 40 a day you can get blocker injections from the nhs, would have to double check on the amounts tho lol

raf24
05-09-12, 09:43 PM
Mike-i know what you mean,i miss a fag with a coffee the most

Tj-yeah mate that would be great,cheers

novalew
05-09-12, 09:45 PM
i used patches and an inhalator, it will be 4years in Jan, i quit because i just looked at the kids one day and thought i dont want them to think smoking is ok.

raf24
05-09-12, 09:50 PM
Ive heard there are new stronger inhalators out now,might give that a go too,need all the help i can get lol

Andy
05-09-12, 09:51 PM
Those new e cig are "alleged" to be bad for you due to water vapour.
Kinda like bongs then etc.
Cold turkey or nowt,ya still smoking imo if not.

novadave24
05-09-12, 09:53 PM
I have never ever smoked in all my life trust me you save so much money and think that money you could spend on the nova ;)

Mike
05-09-12, 09:54 PM
Mike-i know what you mean,i miss a fag with a coffee the most

Yea I really enjoy it, espcially with a cup of Douwe Egberts Eastern Promise at 7am in the middle of Billing lol

This^ 100%

raf24
05-09-12, 09:55 PM
Those new e cig are "alleged" to be bad for you due to water vapour.
Kinda like bongs then etc.

At least if your on nicotine replacement stuff you dont get all the crappy poison from a cig though

novadave24
05-09-12, 09:58 PM
Good luck with giving up as well :)

raf24
05-09-12, 10:00 PM
Good luck with giving up as well :)

Thanks mate,hope i can do it this time.

troy88
05-09-12, 10:01 PM
I did it the cold turkey way, it's obv hard at first but if you really want to stop then you will.

Mike
05-09-12, 10:04 PM
At least if your on nicotine replacement stuff you dont get all the crappy poison from a cig though

Its not the nicotine thats bad for you as such, its all the other checmicals associated with burning tobacco.

raf24
05-09-12, 10:08 PM
Its not the nicotine thats bad for you as such, its all the other checmicals associated with burning tobacco.

I know a lot of the stuff in them is scary,ive smoked for nearly 20 years & i think the habit thing has a lot to do with it too,i.e im having a coffee i'll light a fag.

turbojolt
05-09-12, 10:08 PM
how can water vapour be dangrous?? did you hear this from a propper source? as if you did i will send the info to my old man so he can do something diffrent

cheers

Angus Closier
05-09-12, 10:11 PM
I tried and failed a few times. It worked Ish going cold T but you really have to want to give up. If you don't I really wouldn't bother trying as you won't !

raf24
05-09-12, 10:16 PM
I tried and failed a few times. It worked Ish going cold T but you really have to want to give up. If you don't I really wouldn't bother trying as you won't !
I really want to this time,nearly £8 a packet of 20 as well,just think of all the overpriced nova crap i could buy instead lol

Mike
05-09-12, 10:19 PM
how can water vapour be dangrous??

Just ask a cauliflower :thumb:

Spudly
05-09-12, 10:27 PM
As Andy said, cold turkey is the only way imo, i stopped smoking going on four years ago now, was on over 20 a day and had smoked for sixteen years, if you need to use all these patches and gum and all that bollox, then imo you dont actually want to quit at all, youre just wanting to show willing but dont want to miss out on the nicotine or the habit of having something hand to mouth like the electric cigs.

If you truly want to stop, then you will do it, and the only way to stop, is to stop, simple as, no toys, no gadgets or patches, just stop!

Its hard and i know it is, but its the only way i reckon!

raf24
05-09-12, 10:31 PM
Ive never actually tried it cold turkey,might be the way to go.so if you've been stopped 4 years do you still think about it after that length of time or does it never cross your mind?

Spudly
05-09-12, 10:35 PM
Ive tried it a couple of times just to confirm that i cannot stand it, the smell makes me balk and i truly cant stand it now lol

novalew
05-09-12, 10:39 PM
in 4 years i ATTEMPTED 2 fags and almost got sick both times, its something you will never forget but you just get to the point where you think "a fag would be nice now" but as soon as you thought that you forget. Main thing is if you want to quit you will if not you wont all the NRT in the world cant help someone who aint ready. Only you know that though pal.

Best of luck though and keep us posted

raf24
05-09-12, 10:42 PM
Ive tried it a couple of times just to confirm that i cannot stand it, the smell makes me balk and i truly cant stand it now lol

Strange that,When ive stopped before there has been the odd occasion for a split second ive thought,'i'll have a fag' then remembered i had stopped.drink is my big downfall usually,if im drunk i'll just think bugger it one wont hurt :tard: i'll stay out of the pub too i think

raf24
05-09-12, 10:46 PM
in 4 years i ATTEMPTED 2 fags and almost got sick both times, its something you will never forget but you just get to the point where you think "a fag would be nice now" but as soon as you thought that you forget. Main thing is if you want to quit you will if not you wont all the NRT in the world cant help someone who aint ready. Only you know that though pal.

Best of luck though and keep us posted

Will do mate,thanks

Novasport
05-09-12, 10:52 PM
I went cold turkey in 2000 and I am still not smoking 12 years later and will never again. Had a blip on the first bank holiday Monday in 2000 when I had one after a few beers, got half way down in and nearly chucked my guts up. Not touched one or even been tempted since.

raf24
05-09-12, 10:56 PM
I went cold turkey in 2000 and I am still not smoking 12 years later and will never again. Had a blip on the first bank holiday Monday in 2000 when I had one after a few beers, got half way down in and nearly chucked my guts up. Not touched one or even been tempted since.

Good man,that gives me a bit of hope too.

Novasport
05-09-12, 10:58 PM
Just be prepared to put on a few pounds, I did :(

raf24
05-09-12, 11:04 PM
Just be prepared to put on a few pounds, I did :(

Yes well i was thinking that too,im going to make a point of doing more weights,treadmill etc.luckily i have all of that in my house.

Martin.p
05-09-12, 11:12 PM
I gave up just under a yr ago.
I had a lung collapse and a foolishly started smoking again. (yeah yeah I know) my other half kicked me out! And would not take me back because she said she would not stand by and have her and our 3 girls watch me kill myself! In a split moment I realised that I WANTED to give up! And from that point on it was easy! She told me to see the doc about giving up, who gave me patches and said 'do a month on them' I did a week! And the rest was will power!

Point is when you actually want to give up for any reason! Your health, partners benifit, kids sake you'll do it easy!
She did finally take me back and I'm with my Kids again.
The patches did help the craving for nicotine (witch does make you a hard person to live with.)
But the habit is hard to kill, the one I missed most was a fag after a big meal. Or hard work!
The other thing is to tell people around you that your giving up! And let them surport you!

raf24
05-09-12, 11:16 PM
Yeah good advice mate,thanks.theres lots of reasons i want to give up for,so hopefully it works.

steviegsi
06-09-12, 03:12 AM
I lasted 3 days the one and only time I wanted to give up. It wasn't as bad as I thought tbh. I was my own worst enemy though and the wee voice in my head persuaded me it would be a good idea to go buy a packet. So I will try again some time, but the key is WANTING to stop imo. At the moment I don't really want to stop.

Only bit of advice I can offer from my feeble attempt is, when your sitting in a few days time and your brain is trying to convince you a cig would be a good idea, is that the thought of a cigarette is a lot better than the anticlimax of going and lighting one. Best of luck :thumb:

womble sri
06-09-12, 06:25 AM
I am currently giving up smoking, I've started a new job where I can pretty much smoke where an when I want to and one of the lads I employ smokes like a chimney, I was smoking loads as a result. Last wednesday whilst driving to work smoking my morning fag drinking my morning coffee it didn't taste as good as it used to. So I decided to give up there and then, I have had one failure in the last 7 days and that was yesterday due to the stress of running a new business and it was horrible, within the 7 days I have had a night out on the booze so think im doing quite well. Hopefully I will have the strength and will power not to have another. I have packed up for 6 months or so in the past but eventually started smoking again. My mum used to carry a jar of stunned out cigarettes and everytime she fancied one she use to open the lid and have a whiff.

raf24
06-09-12, 07:25 AM
Couple of good bits of advice there lads,cheers :thumb:

Tanya.
06-09-12, 07:49 AM
I went cold turkey nearly 2 and a half years ago. Getting pregnant helped kick me into stopping. I will admit I've been very tempted to have one a few time since but urge is no longer as strong and the smell makes me feel sick now.

It definetly takes a lot of willpower but it's worth it, actually wanting to stop always helps. I feel so much healthier since stopping, I haven't had to use my inhaler since stopping either :)

raf24
06-09-12, 07:58 AM
I went cold turkey nearly 2 and a half years ago. Getting pregnant helped kick me into stopping. I will admit I've been very tempted to have one a few time since but urge is no longer as strong and the smell makes me feel sick now.

It definetly takes a lot of willpower but it's worth it, actually wanting to stop always helps. I feel so much healthier since stopping, I haven't had to use my inhaler since stopping either :)
Its very encouraging to hear all this,when i stopped before i always thought the first week was the worst,seems to get better after a while going by what most folk are saying on here

Andy
06-09-12, 02:18 PM
how can water vapour be dangrous?? did you hear this from a propper source? as if you did i will send the info to my old man so he can do something diffrent

cheers
Well,i used to do bongs and shotties etc years ago,and was always told that they cause water on the lungs/pluracy.
So i would imagine the same would apply.

Edd
06-09-12, 02:22 PM
Buckets FTW

Hobbit
06-09-12, 02:42 PM
I just gave up, as said you just need to want to give up. I still have the odd one when on the beers but I know about it in the morning which reminds me why I give up.

Andy
06-09-12, 02:54 PM
Buckets FTW

"Get the bath filled then lad"
lol lol lol

Keif
06-09-12, 02:55 PM
Can only agree with the above.

You need to WANT to give up, then decided when that day will be.

I deliberately left one Cig in a packet and just stopped. It was there if I wanted it, but never did. Takes alot of will power.

As for Nicotine patches.
http://dulwe3jaae43u.cloudfront.net//demoty/950cd7edc37abff8c718c37df852fb43.jpg

Hobbit
06-09-12, 03:00 PM
"Get the bath filled then lad"
lol lol lol

You want a big storage box, stick a board on top then you have a coffee table when not in use ;)

Southie
06-09-12, 03:09 PM
I stopped for 8 months once because I was bored of smoking, I started smoking again one night when I went on a sesh lol

Only thing is nowadays I've cut down from 20 Embassy a day and roll my own cigs, on roughly 5 a day now.

Andy
06-09-12, 06:24 PM
You want a big storage box, stick a board on top then you have a coffee table when not in use ;)
hahaha lollol:d