PDA

View Full Version : Raise or remove rev limit on 20XE

Iain
04-09-12, 02:43 PM
Is it possible to raise or remove the rev limiter on a 20XE engine running standard ECU/management?

Southie
04-09-12, 03:26 PM
Iaiiiiiiiin, Courtney still do group N chips to raise the limiter CLICKY (http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/atmo-power/info_6.html)

boyd_1989
04-09-12, 03:44 PM
What about a c16xe aswell? :)

pie
04-09-12, 04:31 PM
i got a courtenay group n one on my new cav gsi

tick over fin at 950 ish and redlines nearly 7800-8000k shocked me how hard they rev fair play

i keep thinking when is the rod goin to poke his head out f lol lol

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/150959_3156646082175_2063577219_n.jpg

Iain
04-09-12, 05:59 PM
Over £200 fitted eep.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a second hand FP one, although I was hoping there was some sort of resistor style hack/bodge to remove it so I can just add my own aftermarket one.

Paul
04-09-12, 06:13 PM
Show us ur power graph

paul james
04-09-12, 06:30 PM
These chips are just eproms with different data on them right? I wonder why nobody has ever thought of buying one, downloading its contents and then making their own cheaper ones to sell? Obviously its dodgy making money off other peoples work, but still given how much these chips cost it is surprising nobody has done it (that I'm aware of).

Iain
04-09-12, 07:00 PM
Show us ur power graph

No graph with the new cams they've only been in 6 hours lol Just going by how it feels tbh, and with an adjustable rev limiter I can fiddle till it feels good?

Stuart
04-09-12, 07:24 PM
These chips are just eproms with different data on them right? I wonder why nobody has ever thought of buying one, downloading its contents and then making their own cheaper ones to sell? Obviously its dodgy making money off other peoples work, but still given how much these chips cost it is surprising nobody has done it (that I'm aware of).

Because the EEPROM will be very very obsolete so £200 is probably a bargain lol

paul james
04-09-12, 07:38 PM
Because the EEPROM will be very very obsolete so £200 is probably a bargain lol

You mean the eproms are hard to get? I wouldn't bet on that. You can get new stock of most size eproms for a couple of quid each. Other than old Novas I'm also into classic gaming, so have bought eproms suitable for direct replacement in 20-30 year old equipment :)
I'm guessing they are just 8bit and single/double digit kilobytes in size, its no problem getting chips like that.

Mike
04-09-12, 07:42 PM
You mean the eproms are hard to get? I wouldn't bet on that. You can get new stock of most size eproms for a couple of quid each. Other than old Novas I'm also into classic gaming, so have bought eproms suitable for direct replacement in 20-30 year old equipment :)
I'm guessing they are just 8bit and single/double digit kilobytes in size, its no problem getting chips like that.

But (IMO) for the little amount of them you would sell I dont think it would be worth all the hassle really.

Southie
04-09-12, 07:43 PM
Paul it seems you need to fill the niche in the market... maybe a tad late but worth a try lol

paul james
04-09-12, 07:47 PM
But (IMO) for the little amount of them you would sell I dont think it would be worth all the hassle really.

When people on ebay can sell thousands of resistors on wires sold as 'chips', then theres probably a decent demand for a cheap real one. When the chips cost next to nothing and programming them takes seconds, its just wierd to me that people haven't got in on the act undercutting the originals.

Stuart
04-09-12, 07:58 PM
I'm surprised old stuff can be got for sensible money. We try to get stuff that is only 5 years old and pay about 10 times original price etc.

Benn
04-09-12, 08:04 PM

You taking the piss? There are loads of people selling copied chips! Almost every one on ebay is.

IaIn, I had a gen eds one in my xe, raised the limit to 7.2k. Was perfect in everyway.

Mike
04-09-12, 08:08 PM
When people on ebay can sell thousands of resistors on wires sold as 'chips', then theres probably a decent demand for a cheap real one. When the chips cost next to nothing and programming them takes seconds, its just wierd to me that people haven't got in on the act undercutting the originals.

Think sensible lad......

They sell thousands because they sell them for pennies, so even if they dont work then youve lost a few quid so its worth the gamble. Its the age old theory of little & cheap. Why you think my lazy ass doesnt bother making all manner of carbon panels from home, because buyers for realistic prices are few & far between :thumb:

Little & often is the key to retailing any sucessful product. Little price that often sells. Thats a market proven fact aswell.

paul james
04-09-12, 08:10 PM
Think sensible lad......

They sell thousands because they sell them for pennies, so even if they dont work then youve lost a few quid so its worth the gamble. Its the age old theory of little & cheap. Why you think my lazy ass doesnt bother making all manner of carbon panels from home, because buyers for realistic prices are few & far between :thumb:

Little & often is the key to retailing any sucessful product. Little price that often sells. Thats a market proven fact aswell.

I was looking at a seller on ebay getting £10 each for them earlier, and selling a ton of them.

Mike
04-09-12, 08:11 PM
I was looking at a seller on ebay getting £10 each for them earlier, and selling a ton of them.

£10 aint shÃ*t these days though. 20 cigs are like £7+ now.

You can also 110% garantee the seller doesnt has product liability insurance either :thumb: so if, nay when, they dont work & fry your ECU your the one outta pocket (buyer wise) as youve got no come back due to lack of business insurances :thumb:

paul james
04-09-12, 08:21 PM
Fair enough found some on ebay, German ones at £80, Polish ones at £40. It was a while back when I last thought about it and looked, they wern't around then. Still its a decent money maker for them, even at £40 thats around £38 of profit!

richz_nova
04-09-12, 08:30 PM
iain im sure you already know but if you dont, GQ ecu's are plug and play you can take the chip out and put a aftermarket one in but yours is a 20xe so not running lambda. worth a go though imo

Iain
04-09-12, 10:25 PM
No I didn't know that Rich, you're right mine's a non lambda (FP ECU) so what would I need to get the GQ one working?

richz_nova
05-09-12, 06:21 PM
dont get taking my word but if you was to get a GQ ecu, and buy a FP aftermarket chip and stick that in it may work??. sure i will be corrected on that lol or do what i did got a xej manifold (bought with an exhaust system) and just welded a lambda sensor boss in and use a lambda may be wrong with what ive just said as your is a really early and may not run right with the lambda?????

Iain
05-09-12, 10:19 PM
Been chatting to the guy that sells the chips on eBay, he reckons it's possible to chip the FP ECUs. Sounds like he can provide a chip with just a tweaked (or potentially removed) rev limiter with no other adjustments too

Mieran
05-09-12, 11:46 PM
chap at rs tuning (paul?) reckons he can make a map and put them on blank chips, showed me the machine too, looked a bit dated to what they normally use lol

richz_nova
06-09-12, 07:25 AM
i brought one of them chips off the bay, put it in my GQ ecu, and didnt notice a difference at all tbh mate. them group n chips are good my mate has one on a FP ecu ive used it a few times, they work realy well

Angus Closier
06-09-12, 12:48 PM
chap at rs tuning (paul?) reckons he can make a map and put them on blank chips, showed me the machine too, looked a bit dated to what they normally use lol

Yes, Thats how they are made in the first place lol

It can be done, however I would get down to a rolling road to really see if its worth it. I'd put a bet on even with your new cams the power is dropping off much more at that sort of RPM than you think.

It might have a bit more power than before the cams but I'd check it to really see if its worth it.

Iain
06-09-12, 12:56 PM
I see what you're saying, although if I got to a rolling road and the graph showed that the power was not dropping off too far before the limiter then I'd have to do all the above and take it back. Chip and OMEX limiter isn't that much money to bolt on initially anyway, and it gives me something to play with on it lol