PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor struggles to turnover engine even when jump started

OllieKing
02-09-12, 09:28 PM
Hello,

Just put a 1.6 8v on twin webers in my 1.2 shell. went to start the car for the first time and no matter what i try i cant seem to get the starter motor to turn over at any speed. Even hooked up on jump leads it struggles and subsequently I cant start the engine (assuming this is the only problem)

The engine is also fitted with a starter motor from a 1.2 nova (not sure if there is any difference)

My only guess is a bad earth
(the dash is out of the car if this helps)

thanks

Vausey
02-09-12, 09:42 PM
starter motor out of the 1.2 should be fine pal will be bad earth some where. theres 2 earths in middle behind dash you connected them back up?

OllieKing
02-09-12, 09:49 PM
yeah the earth leads are all connected. Im guessing it might be a combination of a flattish battery and a bad gearbox earth

OllieKing
04-09-12, 04:32 PM
managed to fix the problem, as I just rebuilt the engine it was all a bit tight. Took all the spark plugs out and turned it over for a good long time. This seemed to get the oil flowing and loosen the engine up enough. Now it turn over at a reasonable pace with all the plugs in. Just need to try and get it started now :/