PDA

View Full Version : solid engine mounts

turbojolt
02-09-12, 12:51 PM
Are they worth the money they demand, anyone have experienced a car before and after fitting them?

i want to hear the good the bad and the ugly

engine bay will be stitched and plated if that effects anything

cheers :thumb:

Stuart
02-09-12, 01:28 PM
Just pu fill oem ones

nova_saloon
02-09-12, 02:59 PM
He's Right honestly, solid ones are as tough as fooooook. now you can buy 'mix your own at home' polyurethane, and just fill them up (soon to try this myself). or what most people do it find some tiger seal (panel Adhesive)and jam them full of that, honestly i did it on the front one as the other two dont really need it and worked a treat, solid but not so solid it vibrates the entire car!

Iain
02-09-12, 03:05 PM
Can't beat the DIY poly ones for cheap effectiveness. Solids are good tho

mk1nova_rich
02-09-12, 03:10 PM
Proper solid ones are **** hot TBH and I bet they last a hell of a lot longer than the DIY ones

nova_saloon
02-09-12, 03:52 PM
20,000 miles down the line with mine DIY ones with tigerseal and still look as good as the day i made them! heard a couple of people destroy the solid ones (plus i do the ole rag the tits off of it when on track. so i know it works) not denying solid ones are bad or useless, pretty effective stuff, but if your using it everyday you will just rattle the crap out of your car and will make for a nasty ride.

turbojolt
02-09-12, 04:01 PM
car is going to be more track orientated then road but will be on the road nearly every weekend ;)

richz_nova
02-09-12, 04:35 PM
i use solid ones from compbrake on my daily xe, i think the ride is fine as for vibrating the car its not that bad just put a washer between the mount at the front so its not touching and its fine :thumb:

Mazz
02-09-12, 05:13 PM
Mine rumbles/vibrates away on startup which is cool imo! imo they are good as my engine still moves around a bit, so obviously there would a lot more movement and any other type of mount..

sr-rompa
02-09-12, 05:25 PM
I have them on my ex saloon and never had a problem and mine is used daily for 6 months of the year . Also have a set for sale aswell mate ;)

Iain
02-09-12, 07:30 PM
I think it just comes down to your budget Leigh. If you want to splash £150 or wait for a £60 second hand set then get the solids, otherwise gloop 'em up for a tenners tube!

scott.parker
02-09-12, 07:41 PM
Don't buy the bilit alloy ones waste of money imo an an ares to fit!
If you can find the other solids there about £100-80 a set I had them on my old track car, imo if it's track based there a must as dodge diy can came apart etc

Spudly
02-09-12, 08:06 PM
If youre fitting a plating kit then you wont be able to fit solid mounts as the drivers chassis leg, for one, you cannot get to fit with a plating kit fitted :p

turbojolt
02-09-12, 08:07 PM
would much rather a 2nd hand bargain, 98% of my project is 2nd hand parts, which in my mind means it should be tax exempt due to being built from recycled parts :d

scott.parker
02-09-12, 08:10 PM
If youre fitting a plating kit then you wont be able to fit solid mounts as the drivers chassis leg, for one, you cannot get to fit with a plating kit fitted :p

Pre drill before welding so you can still get to the bolt?

Spudly
02-09-12, 08:15 PM
Afaik the plate sits where the actual mount would sit if you could fit it properly, its not just a case of you cant get to the bolt, the plate sits about three mil into the mount lol

Pistol Pete
02-09-12, 08:25 PM
I have solid mounts and a plate kit. Managed to fit mine no hassles. Bolt through mount, slide mount in, nuts on then engine bracket in place. Modified spanner on end of bolt righty tighty.

IMO having solid mounts isn't as harsh as some say. The only reason I fitted them is beause my mate was selling up so I bought his.

mk1nova_rich
02-09-12, 08:58 PM
I really enjoyed driving with solid mounts, car just felt so much tighter and more precise

scott.parker
02-09-12, 09:05 PM
I really enjoyed driving with solid mounts, car just felt so much tighter and more precise

Exactly I've had both an my old gsi almost smashed its self to bits I cracked the sfi box, I crushed the matrix pipes it broke water pipes etc an hit the bulk head an you could feel the effect of swaying in the bay

Vausey
02-09-12, 09:36 PM
any one got a link to this polyurathane (sp) stuff not sure if its right stuff im looking at,

Iain
02-09-12, 09:43 PM
Any polyurathene sealant in a big tube, I think Tigerseal/Sikaflex will be OK?

turbojolt
02-09-12, 09:48 PM
much like my brake fluid decision, im going to take the advice off here and fill my mounts first, then maybe move on to solid mounts in the future

cheers lads

scott.parker
02-09-12, 10:06 PM
Wrong move imo

Iain
02-09-12, 10:08 PM
I used to have a set already done, let me see if I still have them

turbojolt
02-09-12, 10:09 PM
Wrong move imo

cant please everyone lol atless this way i can use what i have and if its no good i can move on to solid mounts

scott.parker
02-09-12, 10:11 PM
Yeah but dude you asked our thoughts opinions etc an I'm just saying save your self the effort an do it once!

chambers1984
02-09-12, 11:10 PM
agree with scott. do it right first time you can get the mounts for £100 you would spend £20-£30 on tigerseal then will still end up going for the real ones after

Mieran
02-09-12, 11:11 PM
fill them up with liquid plastic

turbojolt
02-09-12, 11:15 PM
if it turns out to be a mistake then its just another to add to the list, but either way its the route im taking right now.

turbojolt
02-09-12, 11:16 PM
fill them up with liquid plastic

explain? please and thank you :d

Mieran
02-09-12, 11:19 PM
explain? please and thank you :d
Scroll down to half way through the page

http://www.vauxhallsportforum.com/phpBB2/ashs-evo-turbod-corsa-gsi-track-car-t12197,start,180.html

turbojolt
02-09-12, 11:23 PM
that looks fancy, might have to try that out at some point cheers matey

Mieran
02-09-12, 11:27 PM
Can get that stuff of ebay for less than £20 as well

Don't buy too much cos you can only fill 2 of the nova mounts (drives side and gearbox rear)

turbojolt
02-09-12, 11:28 PM
might have to do my own standard vs tiger sealed vs liquid sealed vs solid mounts thread lol

Edd
02-09-12, 11:43 PM
IMO solid mounts are hideous

Way too much vibration

I did 16k on a set of filled ones on my xe with no problems

The solid metal ones shake the car slot I found

I fitted a solid rear one on the Sport, started it once and that was enough for it to come off

Mazz
03-09-12, 10:57 AM

wtf?! I have a plating kit and solid mounts and they fit fine..

Southie
03-09-12, 11:36 AM
I had solid mounts from brand new and found them brilliant, okay a slight rattle but nothing drastic... my car was 23 years old so it was bound to rattle a little.
My 16xe Nova was driven for over 2 years pretty hard without any issues before selling the car to Rich, by the sounds of it they were still okay when he had them.