PDA

View Full Version : Some help needed.....

Armand2001
04-08-03, 07:35 PM
I need some help for the look of my 3dr Nova.
I recently had the black vinyl stripes (that fills the gap between the windows on each side of the car) sprayed over to match the colour of the car. I realised that it looks a little shoddy :cry: so now I wanna buy some black vinyl to go over the top of it to make it look as it did before.
Thing is I dont know where to find it....anyone got any ideas???
Also another questions is that I see a lotta peeps talkin about using an angel grinder to sort out there rusting rear arch probs, what exactly do you cut with the grinder to make them look better. Its either that or I buy rear arch panels.
All advice greatly appreacited :wink:

Nova-Boy
04-08-03, 08:42 PM
well as for your strips in between the windows. I would take them off rather than spray over them. Get a hair dryer and take peel them off. When you have them off clean it up with some kind of sticky remover stuff and if you want to then buy some new vynl and stick it back on.

As for the arches. If they are really rusty and you have some pennies send it to a body shop and get new ones welded in. On thje other hand do what i did.

Take a grinder to them and take ALL the rust off. No matter what mess you make take all the rust off.

Then run a bit of fiber glass on the inner side to make up the arch again. Then fill flush from the out side and rub down.

Use a grinder to get the arch level. Rub it down to get it perfect

Prime and respray.

I'm doin mine and am up to the prime and re-spray.

If you want i can send you pictures.

I wont post them up here cos i'm gonna do a post showing all the progress and hopefully make a sticky on doing this.

Gazza14SR
04-08-03, 08:58 PM
Beofre i de-vinyled mine i got some similar stuff from wilkinsons. They also have all sorts of colours too and sticks well good.

Armand2001
05-08-03, 07:06 PM
Hey thanks for your advice :wink: :)
I think I will go with the option in welding some new arches on. If I took it to a body shop would it be an expensive process I mean what exactly have they go to do to fit the new arches?.
Also in reference to the new vinyl does this Wilkinsons place have a website that I can have a look at to see prices/colours etc???
All replies greatly recieved

Gazza14SR
05-08-03, 10:35 PM
the nickname for it is Wilko's if it rings a bell?

Unsure of the website but am positive they have one. Its similar to ASDA, TESCO etc but sell home furnishing stuff too.

I paid 3 quid for a roll of black vinyl and that covered the bits in between the windows and ive got loads left.

They quality of it is good too and sticks firmly to the car, never had no troubles with mine.

Gaz

Armand2001
06-08-03, 07:01 PM
Hey thanks for the reply
I checked out Wilko's website and I found (sigh) that there are no stores near to where I live :cry: :evil: . Is it poss to buy this vinyl from B&Q or Homebase? because if so I can get it at the weekend? :)

Gazza14SR
06-08-03, 11:03 PM
As my car is de-vinyled now you can have the role that i have left free of charge if you wouldnt mind covering the postal fees.

Ive had a look at it today and there will be plenty to what you need it for.

PM me if your intrested.

Gaz

ade
08-08-03, 12:29 AM
If youve already sprayed over the vynal I'd be initially concerned with trying to remove it because it may damage the surrounding spraypaint (I presume you sprayed a little onto the panel?)

If not then no probs - just heat it up and remove it.

you can get replacement panels from vauxhall (about ?30 each) or get some vynal from a graphics/sign writers shop.

Only use a grinder to cut the lip back on thw arches for fitting biugger wheels!!!

If you have rusty arches and you dont know anything about respraying/derusting them, I reccomend taking car to a body shop for them to do - easier, cheaper and quicker than faffing on yourself.

The reason is that nova rear arches are BASTURDS when they rust - usually caused by the inner seal being compromised - so to make a PROPER long lasting job you need to seperate the outer and inner arch and clean out all the rust - you then need to weld/rivet/resin it back together, seal, clean up and respray the panel/side 1/4. OR you can buy replacement panels which still means cleaning up the inner panel and respraying the side of the car after weldoing, smoothing, sealing etc...

I did mine last year - still solid but one of them was so badly gone I had to rebuild it with resin/fibreglass and rivets (no access to welding equipment) - too the better part of a week solid working to sprep it for spraying.. You cant tell though which I;m very pleased about...

Ade