PDA

View Full Version : track car prep/build parts advice

turbojolt
30-08-12, 12:41 PM
I need some advice from people who have built & used a nova on the track regarding parts :d

1/ brake pads what do/did you use? (also guide price)

2/ bushes what did/do you use? (also guide price)

3/ brake fluid what did/do you use?

there the main 3 questions i need to know for now, trying to brake down the cars rebuild in to bite size chunks and suspension and brakes are my first port of call :thumb:

Stuart
30-08-12, 01:02 PM
1. Mintex 1155 (1144's are just too soft imho) or CL5+'s (but you will cry at the price). Say £100 MINIMUM
3. Mintex OEM spec 5.1 £3/Litre. I never managed to cook it with silly brake pads in the VX. Some will suggest ATE SuperBlue as I did too at one stage, for the cost and line staining I'd not bother now.

turbojolt
30-08-12, 01:10 PM
how did you find the 1155's on the road aswell?

mk1nova_rich
30-08-12, 01:12 PM
Agree with Stuart on pads, unless you do a lot of road driving too

Bushes - Flo Flex are fine IMO, never had a problem with fitting. Powerflex are supposedly the daddies but with the price tag to match

turbojolt
30-08-12, 01:46 PM
is there a cheap place on the net to buy mintex 5.1 dot fluis or should i just drop in the local motor factors?

Stuart
30-08-12, 02:13 PM
local motorfactors for the fluid, otherwise you wind up paying for postage which is more than the item is worth lol.

I found the 1155's fine on the road, they lasted 3-4 times longer than 1144's and had about 98% the same stopping abilities/characteristics. The CL5+'s are another level of epic though! And fine on the road if a shade noisy at times lol

turbojolt
30-08-12, 02:17 PM
the car is going to be fully stripped out noise wont be a issue lol

Iain
30-08-12, 02:29 PM
FloFlex bushes are crap don't use them. RallyDesign for the core bushes (front suspension, rear beam), or Powerflex if you're feeling flush, and FloFlex for the leftover ones if you want them (Like the steering rack)

Brake pads, I'd try some EBC ones for about £60, otherwise Ferodo/Mintex etc you start at about £110 retail prices from what I've seen.

Never had any problems with my ATE Superblue, but I've not looked at the lines to see if they're stained (does this actually matter Stuart?)

Mieran
30-08-12, 02:34 PM
DS2500

Polyrace bushes (red)

ATE super racing blue

turbojolt
30-08-12, 02:56 PM
how much does it take to fill the brake system? ive looked through my haynes manual but i can find it lol

paul james
30-08-12, 03:00 PM
how much does it take to fill the brake system? ive looked through my haynes manual but i can find it lol

Not that much, a standard size 1 litre tub of fluid will fill the system and have plenty more left over spare or for bleeding.

Stuart
30-08-12, 08:52 PM
(does this actually matter Stuart?)

It's a pain in the hoop to be sure you've bled it all out for fresh fluid.

turbojolt
01-09-12, 05:50 PM
i have bought some super blue racing brake fluid today cost £14, from a local motor factors gsf car parts :d