PDA

View Full Version : Engineers report

Chay84
29-08-12, 11:12 PM
Hi do you need a engineers report when a xe engine is put in a nova?

Spudly
29-08-12, 11:22 PM
Sometimes the DVLA request one for registering the change of engine legally, best bet is to fill in the new engine number on the v5 and go in person to your nearest office, hopefully they will just stamp it and send it off for you, job done :d

Pistol Pete
30-08-12, 06:29 AM
No hope ^ they require some form of evidence.

When I did mine, the garage that did the mot, I got them to the a letter. Just something along theines of that they had inspected the car etc blah blah blah. On headed paper. Didn't even question it, v5 arrived a week later.

Plug
30-08-12, 07:31 AM
I walked into my local DVla office without any proof and they sent it off for me

Andy
30-08-12, 07:52 AM
same here,just filled it out with a receipt wrote out in the car park for the engine stating what car it came from.

Spudly
30-08-12, 07:56 AM
I walked into my local DVla office without any proof and they sent it off for me

As above, granted mine was a few years back now, but its just down to the person on the counter, if they think theyre supposed to ask for it, then they will, if they dont know or forget then youre laughing, i know a few people (including Andy when he registered the one i now own) that havent needed any proof at all!

Thats why i will always suggest going into a local branch, people arent infallible and make mistakes, sometimes this is in your benefit, hell ive taxed cars before and got home from the post office only to realise that id used the previous years (and hence expired) documents, mot and insurance cert (lol) that wouldnt have worked if id posted it off :p

Chay84
30-08-12, 09:03 AM
Ha nice I will give it a bash, I'm getting a mint Redtop nova gsi on sat but engine on docs is a 1.6, I will change it all once it comes thru in my name, I think the colour is needing changed also, is now purple was black

Jack
30-08-12, 10:42 AM
If its a 1.6 originally, no evidence will be required.

You only need evidence if you're going down in engine size, or changing tax brackets.

Insurance may require some form of report though.

Chay84
20-09-12, 02:33 PM
Went to dvla in Dundee today and the chap wasn't happy with me having the engine number from the Astra Gte and said I need proof of purchase of engine and a written letter of garage that fitted it

Hobbit
20-09-12, 04:35 PM
2 minute job on word. :)

Chay84
20-09-12, 06:08 PM
2 minute job on word. :)

Very true lol

Spudly
20-09-12, 07:05 PM
Went to dvla in Dundee today and the chap wasn't happy with me having the engine number from the Astra Gte and said I need proof of purchase of engine and a written letter of garage that fitted it

Thats just ridculous, its almost like they dont want people to actually bother being legal and declaring their conversions, its pretty straightforward to do these days with all the required parts being off the shelf, so anyone can happily do the job themselves these days, yet what theyre basically saying, is that if a garage didnt fit it, then you cant register it and need to put it back to standard (ZOMG, another conversion/engine swap!!) or run it illegally, dumbasses!

BRoadGhost
20-09-12, 07:54 PM
Yeah bit of a nonsense tbh - If it gets through an MOT then why would ANY conversion be unfit for the queens highway?

Lewis.
20-09-12, 11:02 PM
/\ because the MOT is a farce lol it's amazing what will pass an MOT. you could have a vehicle, completely roadworthy, except for a shoddily fitted engine: chaffed wiring, engine hanging out, yet none of it comes within the scope of the test

When I registered my XE, i just sent the missus to the local office with the relevant docs and log book with new engine number (made up) and engine number and they gave me a tax disc and sent the V5 off for me.

Jack
21-09-12, 11:34 AM
Yep, bear in mind the amount of testing that cars go through during the design/pre-prod phase to comply with all the requirements. The MOT just assumes the car is still in factory spec and just needs a quick look over to make sure its not falling apart yet.

Modified cars with things like engine conversions should really have IVAs as you're changing drastically from the factory approved spec.