PDA

View Full Version : Painting Engine Bay

chimp007_uk
27-08-12, 09:24 PM
Basically, the car isn't going to win awards and is only used on track. I'm currently stripping the front end to bare metal for welding.

I was thinking of painting the bay white using hammerite smooth, what's peoples thoughts? How resistant to fuel and oil will it be?

Cheers
Chris
:thumb:

mowgli
27-08-12, 10:16 PM
the last pot of white hammerite i had wasn't so good...

you could use dulux weathershield white exterior gloss, that stuff lasts for ever & a day

Balley
27-08-12, 10:43 PM
I would use cellulose, hammerite is crap!

MK999
27-08-12, 11:44 PM
New hammerite is utter ****e :( it's been taken over by another company and they've pulled all the lovely VOC's out of it that made it decent, difference in the protection length too but I can't remember what the numbers were now so you can identify new/old.

chimp007_uk
28-08-12, 10:34 PM
Cheers guys. I'll have a google Mark. Might see if there's any oil resistant gloss.

chimp007_uk
29-08-12, 12:34 PM
I've removed all the underseal from the front wheel arches. Again, is hammerite (or similar) suitable? Just needing more coats to ensure stone chips don't rust?

mowgli
29-08-12, 12:35 PM
isn't that what stonechip paint is for?

chimp007_uk
29-08-12, 01:27 PM
isn't that what stonechip paint is for?

Mike, you mean as in spraying with stoneguard etc? then hammerite? Or hammerite is an effective stone chip paint?

Benn
29-08-12, 01:39 PM
Get a direct to metal paint, b&q and wicks sell it. It's like the old hammerright, water/oil and semi fuel resastasnce.

I use it on almost everything. Loads of colours. My arches where done in it for over a year. Might crack if hit hard enough tho.

chimp007_uk
29-08-12, 01:43 PM
Cheers Benn, You can still buy Hammerite "direct to rust" paint. Is that what you mean? or B&Q/Wickes own brand stuff.

I had a look for pics and found yours on Mig. It's fine for what I want as the car is purely for track and won be winning shows lol.

Benn
29-08-12, 01:45 PM
It's the own one. Just called direct to metal. Was a few years ago now.. lol

chimp007_uk
29-08-12, 01:55 PM
I'll have a gander on my way home. Cheers!

Iain
29-08-12, 04:00 PM
Is the goal ultimate cheapness?

With the arches I'd go etch primer, then stonechip (thick/hard drying stuff in the 1L tubs for air guns), then brush on some paint over the top.

chimp007_uk
29-08-12, 11:23 PM
Is the goal ultimate cheapness?

With the arches I'd go etch primer, then stonechip (thick/hard drying stuff in the 1L tubs for air guns), then brush on some paint over the top.

Not cheapness, just don't want overspray and paint all over my garage. Engine bay will be done in Hammerite white smooth, was just going to buy a 2.5l tub and do the arches. Just been looking at tetra schutz, might go down that route now, with the hammerite over the top.