PDA

View Full Version : Big block, small block clutch woes...

Danb1987
26-08-12, 12:54 PM
I have a c20ne engine that has a massive pot flywheel.

My understanding is If you use a gm 1.7d flywheel you can use a small block clutch and gearbox in a fwd configuration.

My question is would this setup work if used with a big block gearbox?

I will be putting a c20ne into my chevette but I'm struggling to find info on what clutch to use for around 200bhp.

So my plan

C20ne engine
1.7d Vaux flywheel
X16xe fast road clutch 200+bhp rated
Manta 1.8 box and release bearing.

Would this work?

BRoadGhost
26-08-12, 01:19 PM
If it's all off and needs doing, why not get a flat type flywheel and an uprated organic clutch?

That way future changes can just be done in situ, the flywheel will be lighter and the clutch will be of a larger diameter to handle the heat better.

You could go the whole hog with a hydraulic release slave too.

Danb1987
26-08-12, 01:26 PM
What would I need to get thow, a flat 6 bolt flywheel of an seh

What clutch plate and cover... And where from lol

The 1.7d flywheel I apparently flat and the small block clutch kit I brought ages ago is for a flat type wheel.

Is it mainly a case of it the clutch plate fits onto the gearbox shaft it shoul work? As iv not tried it yet lol

mowgli
26-08-12, 02:39 PM
what gearbox are you using? is it a gm one?

Danb1987
26-08-12, 02:50 PM
I need to scrap that idea now.. The gearbo is a manta getrag 240 5speed

Iv just tried both pressure plates x16 and Ne and neither of them fit onto the gearbox shaft....

Now I'm even more confused on what to get :/

mowgli
26-08-12, 03:23 PM
i think you should use the manta flywheel & clutch for a start, and see how it goes.

Jon_nova1
26-08-12, 03:29 PM
I had the 1.7TD flywheel, it definately wasn't flat and was extremely heavy compared to the xe clutch (around double the weight)

as Mowgli says, get the Manta flywheel and clutch, you'll have alot easier time trying to make it fit together, don't forget to take into consideration you may also have to get a starter that will engage the teeth on the flywheel

mowgli
26-08-12, 03:40 PM
the 1.7d flywheel is really small, and should match up to the starter on the 20ne, with an inline application the gearbox sits a long way back & the input shaft & thrust bearing need to be able to meet up with the friction face.