PDA

View Full Version : 130K

Barn
04-08-03, 12:41 AM
My new SR has done 130K. After reading the article about tuning the 1.4 I've decided I'll go all out on it....the only problem is I'm skint so things like T40s etc (the really meaty stuff) are guna have to wait a good while (maybe a year). Sorry it's long-winded but my question is...Will it be still worth going full out on the engine even tho by the time I get T40s on, it prob would have done 140K miles plus? Will the mileage have a negative affect on performance?
I'm a newbie when it comes to engines etc so b gentle

nb The engine is sound as a pound atm

Cheers guys

Will
04-08-03, 12:57 AM
Full out, ur gona change carb, head, cam etc, rebuild the bottem end possibly, or if its still sound dont worry they are good and strong for 200k imho :)

good luck

p.s. more ppl are going my desired route now it looks like :D

SR T40

burgo
04-08-03, 02:38 AM
if its done 130k it is worth checking the bottom end out even if ur not gonna do nefing to it

Ste_Nova
04-08-03, 09:54 AM
pahh my old 1.2i had 204k on it and when the engine was opened it was mint... all comes down to servicing... the 204k was vuahll serviced every 9k

Dicko
04-08-03, 11:11 AM
over 22 vuax services sounds expensive :D

Ste_Nova
04-08-03, 01:10 PM
yeh it was... i used to spend hours sleeping in the waiting room on saturday mornings...... didn't bother me cause most of the miles were work one at 44p a mile

Dicko
04-08-03, 01:40 PM
lol :)
i get 40p a mile and make a killing even with TBs fitted :D

Ste_Nova
04-08-03, 03:02 PM
dicko this was back in 1992 when fuel was 46p/liter ;)

Ben (lurk75)
04-08-03, 06:51 PM
As said above, if you are going to spend the money on twin 40's etc you might as well rebuild the whole engine whilst you have it in pieces.

Will go on for ages after that.

mikeoxford
05-08-03, 02:53 PM
as with my experiences. i would say too it is definitely worth rebuilding the bottm end. a strong top end etc will only put stress on the bottom half and weaken problems further

Barn
05-08-03, 03:37 PM
Cheers lads. my mates old man is a mechanic so I've got some help there.
Apologise if this sounds stupid....
Whats the easiest way to get to know about the engine and other technical stuff? One reason being I don't wanna wimp out and get someone else to do everything for me and 2) I'm a student so aint got the ??? to either

Cheers :+:

Chris LR
05-08-03, 03:42 PM
IMO there are 3 ways to learn.. #3 being the Best

1 Buy a Landy, they're cheap to buy, insure and buy parts for. Everything is really simple and easy to get at.

2 Read Haynes Cover to Cover.

3 Keep looking in the forums, see what people have trouble with, and how they get around it. When people get their cars up and running again from whatever cause they usually post to say what it was and how they fixed it....

Ben (lurk75)
05-08-03, 05:19 PM
Best way to learn about your engine would be to buy another one, for about ?40-50 and spend the time stripping that and rebuilding it.

Main thing is, dont be ignorant and think its stupid to ask, if your unsure ask someone as no one knew to start with and we have all asked stupid questions.

Just keep trying...

Stuart
05-08-03, 05:57 PM
yep best way to get to know engines etc is to take them out to dinner, no seriously the best wayt too learn is to take it appart (possibly fook it up) and put it back together (hoping it will run).

Oh ive run mine for about 20K (not the gentlest either) with no service lol and the cambelt hasnt been changed for approx 45-50K, I know its sillly but i cant be arsed to spend on it when i know what my plans are lol

you learn from mistakes, we all make them.

and as ive heard before

Better to look a fool for 5 mins by asking a question, then to be a fool forever by blundering through (well the saying was something like that lol)

Jim
05-08-03, 06:43 PM
p.s. more ppl are going my desired route now it looks like :D

SR T40

You're desired route? :roll: cough *Mark Curtis* cough? Ok, he might not have been the first to do a 1.4 on twin 40's, but his car was the first that I saw as a 1.4 with twin 40's and his car was also the first one that I saw with the badge SR T40

So neeeeerrrrrrrr :P ;)

Jim