PDA

View Full Version : Orange dash light staying on

paul james
23-08-12, 05:52 PM
I've started up my 1.3 Nova for the first time in ages. However something annoying has appeared, the orange warning light which has an image with a bolt of lightning in it stays on even when the car is running. Is there a specific problem this is supposed to indicate? or any likely culprits?

TeddyThom
23-08-12, 06:21 PM
Hang on.

What 1.3 is it? A picture would be a great help.

andyredtop83
23-08-12, 06:28 PM
That sounds like the engine managment light to me, but i thought all 1.3 novas were carbed? I know imrscher did a injected 1.3 years ago. Does it go out if you push the choke in?

paul james
23-08-12, 06:35 PM
Its an SR running twin 40's, and there is no choke. I did search the forum, but only came up with injection engine threads. I had a look in a Nova handbook, which refers to the light as an 'Engine Control Indicator' and then says about an 'emergency running programme' which sounds a bit far fetched for a car with no ECU. I'm guessing its wired up to the alternator, or coil or something, but I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction.
Click the link for a photo: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.james21/SDC10573.jpg

Southie
23-08-12, 06:43 PM
Which dash have you got in then? As it sounds like the choke light.

The management light would have been on a SRI/GTE/GSI dash.

Have you checked the back of your clock to see if the copper tracking is split giving a dodgy earth?

TeddyThom
23-08-12, 07:18 PM
That sounds like the engine managment light to me, but i thought all 1.3 novas were carbed? I know imrscher did a injected 1.3 years ago. Does it go out if you push the choke in?

I thought this as well.

Which dash have you got in then? As it sounds like the choke light.

The management light would have been on a SRI/GTE/GSI dash.

Have you checked the back of your clock to see if the copper tracking is split giving a dodgy earth?

Must be this then lol

paul james
23-08-12, 07:40 PM
Problem solved!
I had assumed this light was on all Novas, been that long since I've driven a standard carb model. Mine has GSi dash and clocks, and it turns out the light goes out with the handbrake light, oops! Either I never noticed this before, or simply forgot about it as I haven't driven the car in over two years. Cheers guys :)