PDA

View Full Version : E16SE Fuel Pump Relay

richmister
23-08-12, 11:19 AM
I'm sure it's been asked and answered many times, but here's the story.

I've got a Nova (obviously) and I am in te process of transplanting an E16SE into it and it's going fairly well but a little stumped. The car starte life as a 1.2 merit and the engine has been changed more times than the Chelsea manager over the last 7 years and so the car loom is a complete mess and has itself been changed. A friend has told me the car loom at present came out of a 1.4 SRi. With it being a mess I have literally attempted to rewire the loom as it isn't that complicated being a nova. It only has one plug to the car loom with I believe off the top of my head contains Live, Earth, rev counter, coolant temp.. And I believe another but none corresponding to the blue/red of a fuel pump relay.

The fuel pump relay is within the engine look and only going to the ECU as far as I can see, within the car loom I have found about 3 blue/red and I picked one, fed it to a battery and the fuel pump whines and fuel comes out of the fuel pipes, lovely.

But how is the E16SE wired to the fuel pump relay originally and how can I retro fit this? The car is turning over well but no bang ATM, even with the fuel pump directly fed to a battery (not constantly) but not firing. I have had an earthing issue and believe the starter is drawing a lot of amps for some reason that I have put down to earthing, so I have got hold of some 16mm cable from work and I'll be earthing it to bits tonight. :)

But the fuel pump relay, any help? Advice? Diagrams would be lovely.

Cheers.

richmister
27-08-12, 10:21 AM
I gather nobody knows? :)

mowgli
27-08-12, 10:35 AM
fitting the e16se is a doddle electrically speaking, as you keep the original starter/alternator & sender wires from the original engine, and the e16se has its own efi loom, which needs joining in.

to go back to first principles, you need

big red wire, battery
medium black wire, from the original coil feed
green wire, revs
blue/red wire, fuel pump
brown/yellow wire EML warning light.

the fuel pump relay is controlled by the ecu, and sits on the bulkhead near the ignition controller (just above the heater pipes)
it is fed from the battery via the e16se engine loom, and the red/blue is the output that needs feeding back to the pump.

the haynes book shows it on any of the 1988(or 1987) onwards wiring diagrams.

ps. this has been covered more times than anything else in this section, look back thru the old threads & you'll find lots of extra info.