PDA

View Full Version : Please all read-this will affect us all.

camels toe
22-08-12, 08:11 AM
Sorry to bring bad news but after reading this on the retro-rides site thought id share it over here as theres also alot of modified cars here.
This isnt a joke,it will affect you,and it will happen.The wheels are already turning and its looking pretty bad.
Have a read and see what you think http://www.the-ace.org.uk/armageddon/#more-901 (http://www.the-ace.org.uk/armageddon/#more-901)

Theres a thread on retro-rides going into more details so have a look there too.

Connor
22-08-12, 08:16 AM
Sorry but i cant see that ever happening!

Edd
22-08-12, 08:45 AM
Utter crap lol

Hobbit
22-08-12, 09:18 AM
How many modified cars are on the road in the UK?

Your telling me the treasury can afford to lose what it earns on road tax, fuel duty, insurance tax, and the VAT on all the parts we buy?

Doubtful imo.

Asa-James
22-08-12, 09:30 AM
Not to mention all the businesses that would go under (fitters, suppliers, manufacturers, insurance companies like Flux etc)

Alex J
22-08-12, 09:40 AM
http://www.hjo3.net/orly/gal2/orly_dr_evil.gif

turbojolt
22-08-12, 10:17 AM
wasnt there a load of bullcrud going about a few years back like this regarding engine conversions

Mazz
22-08-12, 11:06 AM
Yea, it will never happen, as said, they will loose million and millions if they do..

pie
22-08-12, 12:28 PM
really

L33 LEG
22-08-12, 12:36 PM
lol same thing every year, will never happen.

turbojolt
22-08-12, 12:47 PM
wouldnt worrie about it, i read on the internet the world is going to end this year anyway.

camels toe
22-08-12, 04:48 PM
You can burry your heads in the sand as much as you like,but this is happening.Its not bull**** or internet rumours its real.The ACE only give out facts.
The eu dont care about jobs in the uk,or anything else apart from it getting its own way.If this does go through worded as it is now then were all screwed.Its not something that they`ve made up overnight,the eu have being pushing for this for years and now they`ve sneaked it through the back door so theres very little we can do.
Believe what you will i just thought id share as its important.

MK999
22-08-12, 04:57 PM
The ACE have been predicting a coming apocalypse and the shooting of all modified car owners for the past 5 years.

Edd
22-08-12, 05:04 PM
As much as the government loves being rear ended by the complete fools in Brussels they would never ever agree to it as they love shafting motorists

IF and that's a massive if I could only see being applied to brand new cars

steviegsi
22-08-12, 05:16 PM
Meh.... It'll save me having to tax mot and insure anything modified. lol ( joking ;) )

Andy
22-08-12, 05:31 PM
In10 ftw

mowgli
22-08-12, 05:32 PM
the problem is this.. the moment you pour better oil into your engine, by european law, your car is modified....

there is another problem which we all know about, which is uninsured modifications... it costs us all huge amounts of money added to our policy costs.

now, i really can't see how this will work in practice, but the european law makers have done some fairly stupid things in the past, and they might just manage it again...

BUT... we have a huge export industry making go faster bits for cars, and kit cars etc... its worth billions a year, and no government is going to want to shut it down.

Andy
22-08-12, 05:33 PM
Conservative government would.

Mike
22-08-12, 05:43 PM
You can burry your heads in the sand as much as you like,but this is happening.Its not bull**** or internet rumours its real.The ACE only give out facts.
The eu dont care about jobs in the uk,or anything else apart from it getting its own way.If this does go through worded as it is now then were all screwed.Its not something that they`ve made up overnight,the eu have being pushing for this for years and now they`ve sneaked it through the back door so theres very little we can do.
Believe what you will i just thought id share as its important.

Yawn.

jonn
22-08-12, 05:56 PM
sounds like bull crap! why would it only happen the uk?

camels toe
22-08-12, 07:06 PM
Its not going to only happen in the uk it will be every eu country.Its to bring it all inline so no country is any different,or running to any different set of rules.
Theres already the tuv in germany which basically lets them do bugger all.In france its difficult to drive anything old let alone modified.The uk`s just going to be brought into line.
IF they go ahead with the type approvel stuff you`d need to take your car for a biva test for changing the wheels.They`ll even tell you what size tyres you have to run on.

steviegsi
22-08-12, 07:07 PM
what its actually saying is once a car is modified, it would loose its original type approval, as it no longer conforms to the original manufacturers specification.

as you cannot obtain type approval for a M1 vehicle with a production run of less than 75, this would mean that all vehicles modified away from original manufacturers specification would become liable for IVA.

what they are proposing is not the 'banning' of modified vehicles, but the inspection of them to prove they are of satisfactory standard.

MK999
22-08-12, 07:10 PM
That still means a £1500 test when you get some misting jets for the windscreen.

Won't happen.

camels toe
22-08-12, 07:23 PM
Do you think they said that in france and germany?

scott.parker
22-08-12, 07:25 PM
Lets just say this, if it happens it happens, if you dont want it to, then act now, or we just sit here and see what happens, either way not allot you could do about it if you dont try to stop it.

phunkynova
22-08-12, 08:14 PM
Dose not affect me at all :d

Mike
22-08-12, 08:17 PM
Dose not affect me at all :d

Or me LOL so I couldnt give a rats ass lol

Nobby
22-08-12, 08:18 PM
Come see me for an MOT ill pass them all!! haha

Stuart
22-08-12, 08:24 PM
It's almost impossible to affordably implement.

I've said it far too many times, but just on the engine management side of things it would need the oem's to make software changes that permit far more testing than they already permit, add in that to fully prove out the standardness of the mapping you will have to do a drive cycle test on every car..... That's gonna be £500 minimum!! Then there is the testing of everything else blah blah.

What about when tyre mfrs stop making tyres that the car came with?

Mike
22-08-12, 08:29 PM
What about when tyre mfrs stop making tyres that the car came with?

Exactly this.

The BAC Mono has a unique tyre ONLY made by Khumo and its specific to that vehicle ONLY. What happens if Khumo decide they dont want to make it anymore...

And on another note, since the farking dawn of internet car forums this complete & utter BS hearsay has been banded round atleast once a year. For the love of god, stop talking drivvel. It will NEVER happen. It would cost billions to implement. Not to even mention how much the treasury will lose out on import tax of aftermarket car parts, tax charged on them, VAT, the millions of firms across the EU that manufacture them will shut down overnight....

Ive never heard so much utter tripe in all my life.

steviegsi
22-08-12, 08:52 PM
Just had a look at the last page on retro rides on this subject by someone who's done a bit of digging- and it just seems to be that they are setting a minimum standard across the EU for regular testing on cars, so that the poorer countries aren't rattling around in death traps, whereas the UK and ze Germanz will likely be above the minimum level of testing. As for testing cars that have been fiddled with, how they are tested will be up to each individual country. So as said above, it's not really worth throwing your LET'S etc in the bin just yet.

Typical Internet bullshlt blown out of all proportion.... (as far as my tiny brain can tell anyway.)

mowgli
22-08-12, 09:07 PM
the irony of all this is that they are planning to stop mandatory mot testing of all pre '60 cars anyway!!!!! so all the hot-rodders out there with their 32 fords with massive v8's, rod brakes, farm implement front tyres & no mudguards will be ok.....

John
22-08-12, 09:11 PM
the irony of all this is that they are planning to stop mandatory mot testing of all pre '60 cars anyway!!!!! so all the hot-rodders out there with their 32 fords with massive v8's, rod brakes, farm implement front tyres & no mudguards will be ok.....

Already in force afiak Mike.

turbojolt
22-08-12, 09:23 PM
this load of old tosh has made it to 4 pages, unbelievable.

Andy
22-08-12, 09:36 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTThVxWUocwemJlccU72gQWRmuEl6U4P yd_7jFz5seZ01ZwVaQl4A..

_Jake
22-08-12, 09:40 PM
i dont see it happening, and if it does, just build a nova quicker than any police/vosa vehicle so they cant catch you lol

Bubba
22-08-12, 11:17 PM
police cars aint standard anyway so they will be chasing you on pushbikes lol lol

pie
22-08-12, 11:19 PM
f lol bub

jam-77-nova
23-08-12, 12:20 AM
police cars aint standard anyway so they will be chasing you on pushbikes lol lol exactly what i was about to say lol so what about all the police cars that are modified????? as cant see them sticking to it if did happen, i know a lad who works for them as a mechanic n they mod just about everything on the motorway cars suspension, brakes engines etc lol

turbojolt
23-08-12, 12:29 AM
much like the prisons have to do for opening mail, having razor wire etc they will just have to pay the fiines

that if this wasnt aload of BULL****!!!!!

karisma
23-08-12, 12:17 PM
exactly what i was about to say lol so what about all the police cars that are modified????? as cant see them sticking to it if did happen, i know a lad who works for them as a mechanic n they mod just about everything on the motorway cars suspension, brakes engines etc lol

It's says somewhere that police, Armed forces etc are exempt from the proposed changes so they can still drive modified vehicles on the road.

TeddyThom
23-08-12, 12:30 PM
wouldnt worrie about it, i read on the internet the world is going to end this year anyway.

On my birthday of all days, so guess who is having a wicked one?? ;) lol

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy173/teddythom/picunrelated2.jpg

Jack
23-08-12, 01:36 PM
Just had a look at the last page on retro rides on this subject by someone who's done a bit of digging- and it just seems to be that they are setting a minimum standard across the EU for regular testing on cars, so that the poorer countries aren't rattling around in death traps, whereas the UK and ze Germanz will likely be above the minimum level of testing.
There was rumblings a while ago about this kinda thing, where the EU wanted more regular vehicle testing across all of Europe. Turned out their definition of 'regular' was once every 2 years though lol

It's says somewhere that police, Armed forces etc are exempt from the proposed changes so they can still drive modified vehicles on the road.
Government vehicles are exempt from pretty much everything lol If you make your vehicle available to the local council to use as a pool car, you don't have to pay VED!

Anyways, its unlikely this would happen - as pointed out, where do you draw the line at a 'modification'? As different tyres, fluids, even additional safety features such as parking sensors would render cars liable for an IVA.

No doubt they'll use it to squeeze in less massive changes though. Next thing you know they'll have legal limits on exhaust noise!

Nova-nation
23-08-12, 01:43 PM
This will never happen because techinally every single emergancy vechile is modified.

Jon_nova1
23-08-12, 01:51 PM
They do have similar in the states, for example, while we can lower our cars as much as we want theres a minimum height the US cars headlamps have to be 22/24" from the ground.

In that respect it is perfectly possible to severely limit the modifications that can be undertaken, and like Mowgli says techinically if you use a better grade oil your car is modified, but then again having an MOT is not proof the car is in a roadworthy condition.

The only way to impose such a thing is to have a test of basic OE spec having someone walk around a car and write down you have tints/lowered/alloys/bodykit etc fitted is easy, the directive states that no car is to be altered, it does not state there will be a test to check every component. If it was to go through it would be a bad idea, you would have people buying cars tuning the engines as much as possible without it being noticable and running standard brakes and suspension, imagine the aftermath running a 500BHP skyline like that?

IMO plausible, but only with a basic test and new cars, no-one from any country is going to happily have a car crushed they've owned for the last 10 years because they can't do anything else with it.

Either way it won't be a nice outcome. All the money modifying brings in will be gone, you will have people driving round in modified cars like they stole it and the ones that don't will do what every other person that arn't interested in cars do, get drunk and take drugs, because i can't imagine many enthusiasts settling down in front of the TV with slippers and a Bovril

Jack
23-08-12, 01:51 PM
This will never happen because techinally every single emergancy vechile is modified.
I have a feeling emergency vehicles like ambulances etc are either standard models specific to that requirement, or have their own type approval. Either way, they're government run (or local authority) so generally exempt from everything anyway lol

you would have people buying cars tuning the engines as much as possible without it being noticable and running standard brakes and suspension, imagine the aftermath running a 500BHP skyline like that?
Skyline brakes are decent as standard though, I'd be more worried about a Nova running 500bhp lol

Stuart
23-08-12, 02:40 PM
power != braking requirements

OEM's have their base model cars type approved and then you buy the options ontop of that. Does that mean ticking the options boxes adds an extra IVA into the bill etc lol

Jon_nova1
23-08-12, 03:56 PM
i would have used the Nova as an example Jack, but i think they would notice a let in the engine bay rather than the internals you could change on a Skyline to get that power lol

MK999
23-08-12, 05:37 PM
i would have used the Nova as an example Jack, but i think they would notice a let in the engine bay rather than the internals you could change on a Skyline to get that power lol

They might notice the bigger blower hanging off the Skyline though :p

Jack
23-08-12, 06:05 PM
hey, a few max power stickers and a 1.2 could easily touch 500 horses lol

power != braking requirements
I know, but generally big fat jap cars overcompensate on the braking front anyways lol

Mike
23-08-12, 06:06 PM
hey, a few max power stickers and a 1.2 could easily touch 500 horses lol

True dat.

_Jake
23-08-12, 09:01 PM
Next thing you know they'll have legal limits on exhaust noise!
they already do

mowgli
23-08-12, 09:02 PM
/\ funny that, cos the ar$ehole with the civic vtec & loud chimney that keeps driving past our house hasn't been stopped from doing so by the filth, even though i reported it.

_Jake
23-08-12, 11:16 PM
/\ funny that, cos the ar$ehole with the civic vtec & loud chimney that keeps driving past our house hasn't been stopped from doing so by the filth, even though i reported it.
probably because the average plod doesnt have a decibelmeter (or whatever the hell there called) nor the bit of paper with there name on it to say they can use it, only traffic coppers have it to my knowledge, legal limit is 98Db

blue_peg_16v
23-08-12, 11:37 PM
Yawn not this again

Jack
24-08-12, 07:48 AM
I know they do lol

Legal limit depends on what source you read. But I've heard it as 74 (lmfao) or 82-84, and the IVA is listed as 99. There's a long thread on CCUK about it at the mo.

Stuart
24-08-12, 09:21 AM
Surely the noise 'limit' should come from the V5 as to what the car did in the noise chamber when tested... Ofcourse that only really applies to cars post 2005 lol

Hobbit
24-08-12, 10:07 AM
Thet should test for quality not quantity, a v8 can be as loud as it likes imo, but 1.2's with straight though systems should be banned. lol

paul080803
24-08-12, 11:59 AM
^this!!!

Jack
24-08-12, 12:21 PM
And conveniently motorbikes are exempt, something to do with the height of their exhaust or the way it points up or something. lol

Enough of that tangent anyway lol

TeddyThom
29-08-12, 11:45 AM
This should "ease those minds who worry" CLICKY (http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26260) :thumb: