PDA

View Full Version : atmospheric vs recirculating dump valves

turbojolt
20-08-12, 11:31 PM
what are the pros and cons of these?

:thumb:

Jack
21-08-12, 05:57 PM
Some cars can't handle a DTA valve, IIRC generally its cars with AFMs that don't like them and could run rich where as cars with MAP sensors are ok. Think thats the right way round lol

I know Hayley's CZT with its AFM went into limp mode when we chucked on a spare DTA that I had, where as my ST205 which has a MAP sensor is fine.

turbojolt
21-08-12, 06:27 PM
yer im reading up on these for my brother and people are saying you can only really run a re-circ valve on evos, as you can run in to issues such as the car stalling all the time

Jack
21-08-12, 07:13 PM
Sounds about right, akin to Hayley's Mitsubishi then.

You can get split ones that recirc and bleed off a little air, look at things like the Forge Split-R

turbojolt
21-08-12, 09:05 PM
will have a look now cheers mate, i was expecting more responses saying 'chav' rather then helpfully ones lol

Jon_nova1
21-08-12, 09:16 PM
What Jack says, if your running a MAP sensor it can run it, if your running an AFM the air intake is worked out at the filter. This means that any air that goes out after this point and before the exhaust is unaccounted for so you would get a rich mixture and would be less beneficial than running a recirc, pro's are it makes a wootish...if you want that.

Recirc valves send the air back through the system, essentially keeping the pressure of the system up by the air taking a long trip round (usually back to the intercooler or around the turbo) negating the need for the turbo to build pressure up like it would have to if dumped to atmosphere, although this is only of benefit in reducing lag between gear changes, letting of the throttle to slow down would cause the turbo to also slow down. obviously the size of your system would dictate how big the benefit would be.

turbojolt
21-08-12, 10:13 PM
he has now been offered a turbosmart dual port dumpvalve from another evo, i will have to get up some before and after videos lol

Jon_nova1
21-08-12, 10:17 PM
lol he'll be losing power and using loads of fuel

turbojolt
21-08-12, 10:21 PM
swings and roundabouts lol

Connor
21-08-12, 10:39 PM
Dump valve = chav ****e (imo)
Unless functional, and for people that put them on for the noise :roll:
Recirc ftw if poss, atmosheric = ftl