PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate Windows

Jayz Nova
20-08-12, 09:11 PM
Been thinking of getting some poly windows for my nova but my main concern is are they easy to break into as i use my car every day and i leave it parked up, whats stopping someone breaking into it ect.
Has anyone one here got polycarb's fitted to a daily run around.
Jay

Iain
20-08-12, 09:13 PM
I had rears fitted to a daily. You can flex the rear somewhat so maybe possible to push it through? Fronts with sliders also don't appear great for parking on the road but you can get ones with 4 small holes so you can't put your hand through.

Jayz Nova
20-08-12, 09:18 PM
I had rears fitted to a daily. You can flex the rear somewhat so maybe possible to push it through? Fronts with sliders also don't appear great for parking on the road but you can get ones with 4 small holes so you can't put your hand through.

I was after getting one's with sliders i'm also going to be getting a good alarm fitted that should give me piece of mind but theres always some nob out there who will do something to it

Stuart
20-08-12, 09:25 PM
Polycarbonate is 100 times harder to break than glass.... So will be fine for the rears and security

chimp007_uk
20-08-12, 09:25 PM
I believe my brother is selling his brand new set. Only fitted one front, change of plans.

I can find out if you're interested?

Jayz Nova
20-08-12, 09:27 PM
I believe my brother is selling his brand new set. Only fitted one front, change of plans.

I can find out if you're interested?

Yeah if you could mate

Jayz Nova
20-08-12, 09:28 PM
Polycarbonate is 100 times harder to break than glass.... So will be fine for the rears and security

Its the fronts what i'm more bothered about, like the sliders being pulled open

paul080803
20-08-12, 09:30 PM
If it was a daily, built car then I wouldn't get sliders.

If a stripped out track car then maybe less risky, ultimately though if they wanna get in they will.

Iain
20-08-12, 09:50 PM
Tamper-safe. From the guy/company that sells them on here.

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/NovaWIP2/709.JPG

Southie
20-08-12, 10:07 PM
I can't see the point in spending money on these for a daily car tbh, a rally/track/hill climb car obviously then well that's worth it but bypasses and racing off from road traffic lights seems a tad pointless.

turbojolt
20-08-12, 10:09 PM
I can't see the point in spending money on these for a daily car tbh, a rally/track/hill climb car obviously then well that's worth it but bypasses and racing off from road traffic lights seems a tad pointless.

there gangster duhhh

Hobbit
20-08-12, 10:17 PM
Also on a nice hot day when you want a bit of air going through the car on a Sunday drive that poxy little hole really doesn't cut it. Just fit them in the rears if using it on the road.

SimonTW
20-08-12, 10:44 PM
4 hole type are great for security but crap for drive-thru maccies. You could rig up a slider lock using a cotter pin i'd imagine.

Jayz Nova
21-08-12, 06:58 AM
I'm wanting to use it for track use but it will also be my daily run around

Hobbit
21-08-12, 07:51 AM
Same as mine then, although I do have a company van. I do miss windows that open fully on a hot day though. Its not so bad when you moving but its like an oven when you pull up at lights. Try driving yours on a hot day and only crack the windows couple of inches.

chimp007_uk
21-08-12, 08:53 AM
Yeah if you could mate

I'll get a price.

Stuart
21-08-12, 09:27 AM
To be fair the front windows with winders arent 'that' heavy...
On Dans last build of the 8v we put polycarb rear/side windows in, and polycarb front 1/4's but left the actual door windows as OEM so you could lower them etc.
Unless you are competing and needing to drop every last gram then I'd leave the std front windows in.

16xe_chris
21-08-12, 01:48 PM
Have to agree with Stuart on this one, if your feeling inventive just buy a sheet and make your own front windows and fit them to your original winder mec :thumb:

SimonTW
21-08-12, 01:51 PM
When I looked on ebay and the web for cheap Lexan Exell D there wasn't a great deal of difference in the price of the sheet and the ready made window kits.

Stuart
21-08-12, 02:18 PM
Have to agree with Stuart on this one, if your feeling inventive just buy a sheet and make your own front windows and fit them to your original winder mec :thumb:

Oh good lord NO!!! scratch city doing that.
I mean leave the OEM glass in there with the mech and polycarb everything else.

16xe_chris
21-08-12, 06:08 PM
Scratch city if you leave all the old muck and moss on the rubbers :lol:

Jayz Nova
21-08-12, 07:34 PM
Think i'm just going to go for front sliders as i have two mint doors to go on but the insides have been cut out so i can't fit my winders ect

Stuart
21-08-12, 07:45 PM
Bet they scratch to funk with brand new seals