PDA

View Full Version : Tyre size's and arch clearance

gtegary
20-08-12, 04:52 PM
Hi,

I had thought i had solved my problem with my fan blades rubbing by fitting 195/45/15 tyres.. but sadly i hadn't.

The wheel seems to clear the passenger side outter arch nicely but the drivers side it touches and even touches the inner arch as well (back)

I fitted one of the wheels without tyres and it seems to clear but about 5mm on the left had side.

Is there any reason why it would clear the outter arch on one side and not the other?

also what would be the narrowest tyres i could get fitted to a 6" wide rim? i reckon the wheels will fit inside the arches if the Tyre doesn't over lap the rim at all. Was thinking 165/45/15 but not sure they even sell that size.

I really dont want to have roll the arches as they are mint and are the orginals.

Edd
20-08-12, 05:02 PM
nova beam mounting points are all over the shop from factory

mine is about 5mm out

loads of people have had this apparently

stupid spanish coonts lol

gtegary
20-08-12, 06:15 PM
Must of had some boss eyed Spanish geezer on that point of the factory!

Steve
20-08-12, 09:21 PM
mytyres.co.uk sell 185/45/15 there about the only place ive found that do them.

Had the same trouble with all my mk1's but mut mk2's don't seem to have the same trouble, mk1's are still better though lol

mowgli
20-08-12, 09:28 PM
its time to play with an angle grinder & some small wheel spacers

gtegary
20-08-12, 10:31 PM
It's a mk2 I have got. Have heard that mk2's had more arch clearance?

Although its a mk2 it's going to have a mk1 front end ;)

Stuart
20-08-12, 10:39 PM
There was a 10mm Tolerence from the designers.... Not really the spaniards fault lol

mowgli
21-08-12, 07:42 PM
stu, so explain how, using the same body jig, that they managed to get the rear beams so on the piss... they aren't even the same wrong from car to car

Stuart
21-08-12, 07:47 PM
It the jig was able to let them do it then it's not their fault.

Bit like the defender chassis rails having about an Inch of tolerance in them, not the production lines fault the engineering dept didn't do the job right.

mowgli
21-08-12, 07:57 PM
i did hear about a certain 7 series bmw where they made a graphite block & cnc carved the body shape into it, then used it as a reference for the outer panels, and they managed to get one of the arches about 35mm from where it should be...

Edd
22-08-12, 05:45 PM
Just get some eibach camber shims, that will give you clearance and don't cost much,it's what I did