PDA

View Full Version : Cam belt problem

paulwar
03-08-03, 08:26 PM
right on the way home last night from fulham car was running nice doing about 30-50 in some places as it was early morning.

coming back across a common doing 30 odd

and i heard a loud like poping noise and the car stalled.

so pulled over turned it over and nothing it just wouldnt start.

called dad out at 2am in the morning not a happy person i must add :o(

we have just took the cam belt cover off and it had striped the belt at the bottom when we turn it over the cam and cam belt aint turning.

dad said he thinks the cam seized but i can turn it over just by hand.

i am getting a new cam belt tomorrow got a mate who is a mechanic coming out to take a look

its a 1.2 mk1 nova done just over 93k on the clock it also has run out of oil on the stick thingy but its got some sitting in the bottom of the bit where the cam is

it also runs quite hot but this time it was running for around 30 mins and it wasnt hot at all

any one have any ideas to what it may be or other things to check?

cheers

Paul

thesparky
03-08-03, 08:46 PM
I had a belt strip and just fitted a new one and everything was ok garage said it was just age with the belt when did you last change the belt?

paulwar
03-08-03, 10:04 PM
we have had the car for around 3 years and havent changed it in that time so i aint to sure

Aragorn
03-08-03, 10:34 PM
is the cam belt still there? does it still turn normally when u turn the bottom pulley? if so...

ade had a similar thing happen to him

the belt was still fitted and tensioned as it should but the dog on the cam pulley had sheared off so the pulley was spinning round and not turning the cam itself - smashed a few rockers and fucked the valves cos he coasted to a halt from 70 on the motorway

hope it aint that bad on yours cos if it is you'll be needing a new head

mikeoxford
03-08-03, 11:47 PM
not what u want to hear but JIC i have 3 for sale

paulwar
04-08-03, 01:20 AM
well i dunnno i didnt turn the bottom pully didnt wanna get hands dirty :( i know i can put a 17 or 18 mm socket on the top pully and turn it witch is the cam so it still turns just but i didnt notice the bottom pully turning i will get a new belts tomorrow and hope nothing else has happened

mike when you say you got them for sale you mean the heads? and if so how much?

paulwar
04-08-03, 01:26 AM
also just read the topic called smoking and my car is doing that but its the oil problem one discribed in there is that any thing to worry about as in the the cam belt or cam going?

burgo
04-08-03, 01:28 AM
it also runs quite hot but this time it was running for around 30 mins and it wasnt hot at all

its a 1.2 mk1 nova done just over 93k on the clock it also has run out of oil on the stick thingy but its got some sitting in the bottom of the bit where the cam is

theres ya prob for a start

paulwar
04-08-03, 01:32 AM
well yer i know its a prob to slove but its leaking oil i keep bringing it up with dad and he is saying its because its old its leaking is this the case or should i look into the oil leak more

????

also the fucking oil light didnr come on :(

burgo
04-08-03, 01:39 AM
old is why its leaking wot bollocks look into it m8

dikharvey
04-08-03, 01:54 AM
Get some 20W50 oil in, thicker, lees likely to come out, trust me!