PDA

View Full Version : rally drive shaft setup

jonn
19-08-12, 06:44 PM
right i have fitted a Tran-x LSD a few weeks ago and at the last 2 events i have broken the inner cv joint. it happened at the short shaft last week and long one today. i am running standard 1.2 cvs and shaft setup.

i have some vectra b 1.6 cvs which fit the lsd and nova outer hubs but can i get a drive shaft for them anywhere?

i also read about fitting a spacer between the outer hub and cv joint can anyone tell me a bit more about this? how big of a spacer?

Will F
20-08-12, 08:45 AM
You can only try the GTE/GSi/TD shaft/hub set up really - as I am assuming youre running a small block gearbox?

The spacer is what people run on teh early xe conversions, where the shafts were prone to poppong out of the gearbox... I am guessing this is what you've heard?

I cant really see it making a huge difference to you munching CVs though..?

mk1nova_rich
20-08-12, 09:03 AM
The lad I bought my rally car off had these spacers fitted, said they made a huge difference. Can't remember how thick they are though....Harry Hockly MS might still sell them :thumb:

dstevenson
20-08-12, 09:35 AM
Hi,

The spacers are needed to keep the CV plunge correct if you are running more camber. HHMS lists the washers on their website so probably still available. If you can it would be an idea to measure plunge on a standard car and then match this using the washers on the rally car set-up. Think there is a thread on BRF about this where Alan from Protec explained how it worked.

David

mowgli
20-08-12, 10:59 AM
are you using new genuine or used or pattern cv's?

whitenovasaloon
24-08-12, 04:44 PM
My only reservation with spacers is that the CV has to move through a slightly bigger arc... just brainstorming but what about getting some corsa B driveshafts (think they are longer) and have a circlip groove machined at the appropriate place to give the correct overall length / correct plunge... the other one would be to fit lock stops if you are breaking them on full lock

BRoadGhost
24-08-12, 07:08 PM
I've had the same issue on my big block and yeah pretty much all of the above is right, but what made the biggest difference was repairing a damaged engine mount.

It was really difficult to spot so it's worth taking each one off to have a proper look.

After that I made the following revisions to ease the situation & have never looked back ;o

http://postimg.com/82000/photo-81207.jpg

http://postimg.com/82000/photo-81208.jpg