PDA

View Full Version : £250m motorsport venue set to bring 9,000 jobs to Ebbw Vale

pie
15-08-12, 05:13 PM
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/9874012.__250m_motorsport_venue_set_to_bring_9_000 _jobs_to_Ebbw_Vale/

Edd
15-08-12, 05:38 PM
Would be good

But what are the chances off it actually happening ? lol

pie
15-08-12, 05:47 PM
would be the best thing in this ****ty valley f lol lol lol

paul james
15-08-12, 06:35 PM
I've thought for ages that Wales would be an ideal place for a UK version of the Nurburgring. While this isn't to that scale, if they did trackdays it would be a cool place to go. I would imagine there will be a lot of protest from the locals about it ruining a site of wildlife interest and beauty, even if its not.

Mark
15-08-12, 06:41 PM
I hope it goes ahead.

mowgli
15-08-12, 07:13 PM
when you consider that the MIRA test track is already massively advanced in its plans for a 300 acre vehicle/tech based development & expect to create thousands of jobs, and they are actually quite near to lots of manufacturers/race teams etc.....

silverstone has several tracks available for race/rally/porsche drivers thingys, and is smack bang in the middle of a huge population catchment, and probably only employs a couple of hundred people both directly & indirectly (the gp is a one off)

then you consider that the council that own the nurburgring tried to create a massive leisure/shopping/hotel thing to attract people & it has died on its 4rse

why would anyone consider traipsing all the way to the valleys? they don't exactly have decent transport links, and motorsport is a notoriously bad paying business.....

Pistol Pete
15-08-12, 09:31 PM
Subject to planning permission, looking to be fully functional by 2015. Hosting World superbikes, motoGP. They are also looking to build a full time motocross circuit. Which would mean a permanent venue for the britsh round of the World championships. Something that has been lacking since the demise of Foxhills a few years back! I for one hope it gets the go ahead.

why would anyone consider traipsing all the way to the valleys? they don't exactly have decent transport links, and motorsport is a notoriously bad paying business.....

Yeah why would they indeed. Remind me where is the last round of the WRC held? The same place it has been held since it was formally the RAC rally.....;):thumb:

MK999
16-08-12, 10:14 AM
Evo triangle is/was one of the most popular driving roads in the country, attracting just those kinda people that run the nurburgring and that's in the middle of north wales, further from any major motorways with the added deterrent of police/speed cameras etc.

If your issue with the location is as a race circuit, then knockhill is roughly 400 miles away from 'motorsport valley' and hosts a BTCC date.

Pistol Pete
16-08-12, 12:22 PM
And a bsb event...

mowgli
16-08-12, 10:02 PM
Subject to planning permission, looking to be fully functional by 2015. Hosting World superbikes, motoGP. They are also looking to build a full time motocross circuit. Which would mean a permanent venue for the britsh round of the World championships. Something that has been lacking since the demise of Foxhills a few years back! I for one hope it gets the go ahead.

Yeah why would they indeed. Remind me where is the last round of the WRC held? The same place it has been held since it was formally the RAC rally.....;):thumb:

ah, yes, the rally gb wales..... its not even on the telly, or even in the papers.. and the fia are trying to make these rallies more like they were back in the bad old days, where they covered several thousand miles, went up & down the land, and were watched by millions of people....

as for the different rounds of moto gp, wsb, bsb etc... i'm guessing they are bidding on them, as they don't actually have a venue, and remember the debacle at donington over the f1 race.....? it was doomed long before the bloke failed to get funding for it... there was no provision for parking, everyone was meant to use shuttle buses from the railwaystation that serves east midlands airport.....

mallory park has a full time motorcross track & has hosted world championship races... the riders loved it, the fans loved it, the sponsors loved it, its never been back to mallory since....

this project is going to struggle to make 90 full time permanent jobs directly related to motorsport. i don't care how ambitious they are, most major race series are cutting testing right back, most national championships are struggling, most international series are either too expensive or too boring (ever watched gt races on eurosport?? there are no fans in the stands).

these tracks survive on corporate days, racing schools, and sales promo days. the punters are going to go to brands, silverstone, oulton, donington etc.... or to the spanish & portugese tracks that guarantee sunshine & ryanair flights... why would they go to wales?

sorry to be a cynic, but i can't see it working very well

mowgli
16-08-12, 10:10 PM
I've thought for ages that Wales would be an ideal place for a UK version of the Nurburgring. While this isn't to that scale, if they did trackdays it would be a cool place to go. I would imagine there will be a lot of protest from the locals about it ruining a site of wildlife interest and beauty, even if its not.

seriously, there was an attempt to create a road course in the early 50's, it was based on the A515 between buxton & ashbourne.. it would easily have been a rival to the ring as the roads up there are awesome.. there was an article in motorsport magazine a few months back, there was going to be a proposed act of parliament to allow racing on public roads, which had huge political backing, then the '55 leMans disaster happened, and public opinion went against racing on public roads again, and thus, there will never be a british nurburgring.

in other news, the local regoinal council in germany where the ring is has been caught making huge illegal loans to the area round the track by the european parliament...

like i already said, these tracks rarely pay

Pistol Pete
16-08-12, 11:14 PM
Ah mowgli...so well informed. Not.

The bsb series has a depth of talent far beyond some of the world championships. As for not having a venue, wrong again. Motogp and wsb have been to Silverstone this year already. Wsb reruns to the UK at donnington too!!

On the subject of Mallory park...wrong agin. The riders and spectators hated it. I am on one of the largest mx forums.

IMO this project can only build on what I feel is a good base for 2 wheeled racing within the UK.

mowgli
17-08-12, 06:41 AM
pete, i'm old enough to know that they have been throwing large amounts of govt money at various regions for a very long time and failed every single time..... do you remember the last new race track? rockingham.. a classic example of a track nobody wanted in a place where nobody is interested in going, yes its a great venue, but one btcc meeting a year, a few clubbies & some trade events will never pay back the original investment

there are so many 'international' tracks already in the uk, with links to airports,motorways, large cities with 4* hotels etc which is what the sponsors want, the infrastructure will need a huge investment, they will need to build a dedicated dual carriageway to the m4, and all sorts of other things the series organisers demand..

sorry about being wrong about mallory, as i was only going on all the local press tv & radio coverage when the event took place all the riders must have just been saying it was good to drum up ticket sales...
but all they need for a mx event is a a decent stadium or arena & a large load of soil, and a good designer to create a spectacular track.

Edd
17-08-12, 12:38 PM
Didn't realize they had dug up the M4 lol

Last time I looked thats how you got there, yep shocking way to travel lol

pie
17-08-12, 12:41 PM
**** roads to edd f lol lol

mowgli
17-08-12, 07:15 PM
Didn't realize they had dug up the M4 lol

Last time I looked thats how you got there, yep shocking way to travel lol

the m4 in wales is terrible. stop trying to kid me.....
then there is the small matter of trying to get up from the motorway to ebbw vale about 20 odd uphill miles...
and the head of the valleys road isn't much funnier

i am talking about the transport link potential, not where people in cars want to go...

sending trucks up massive hills, slowly & burning lots of fuel is hardly an incentive..

sending 50k+ cars up there for a major motorsport event would be a true nightmare...

that scheme didn't exactly show tons of hard standing & campsites...

and cardiff intl airport is a fair trek too...

just pointing out a few things that need addressing...

then there is the budget for the project.. our local town is spending £80m on a bus station redevelopment. £250m is a bit low imho.