PDA

View Full Version : remaps with no rolling road

turbojolt
14-08-12, 11:21 AM
i see someone offering remaps locally to me, so thought i would send a email asking if they had a rolling road, as it would come in handy having one locally, but they said NO :wtf:

they only offer a mobile remapping service apparently, how can they offer this kind of service with out proving any power increases?

is this just some chancer, with a laptop and some software he bought on the Internet or can/do people regularly offer this kind of remap service?

paul080803
14-08-12, 11:27 AM
Companies do offer a generic remap service, based on the average car/engine type. It is a similar principle to the manufacturers map and can be applied to the average engine. It is ok, not what I would go for though.

He cant offer a live mapping service which is tailored to the specific car on a rolling road.

However a generic map service should be much cheaper than a live mapping service. As with everything you get what you pay for.

Nova-nation
14-08-12, 11:34 AM
A mapping service like that would probably be to just get the car running okay, but if you wanted to get better power increases you would need a rolling road IMO

pie
14-08-12, 11:35 AM
golfs,bora's etc can be mapped on the "spot" iirc

Stuart
14-08-12, 11:49 AM
its just a superchips or the like 'remap' with some 'live' tweaks done on the road.

There is no proof of power increase other than reduced in gear times etc, but then with 99% of RR's you dont get an honest answer anyway ;)

FWIW about 75-85% of the Transit and Defender calibration (proper term for mapping) is/was done on the road and then polished up in the dyno cells to get the emissiosn spot on.

Lambo
14-08-12, 11:54 AM
I had my ibiza fr tdi remapped . It was done at a place called chip tuners in Pickering which is quite far away from me so i had it put in the rollers before i went.

It showed 132 bhp and im unsure of the torque but when i had it checked again a week later after the map it pulled 164 and a massive torque increase .

It also had a horrible flat spot which seemed to be cured .

i suppose i am quite lucky to have access to a rolling road locally but i too was a bit weary.:thumb:

Plug
14-08-12, 12:20 PM
Tbh I'd use the map guys over a rolling road haha at least your car will get cold fresh air other than at a rolling road with a poxy ass fan lol

Mate got his scooby remapped via a guy in Wales, who came down to Devon, got his wrx up to sti power and 440 torque,

Stuart
14-08-12, 12:32 PM
note I'd never recommend anything other than an OEM approved/warrantied 'upgrade' (read that as remap if you like).

chimp007_uk
14-08-12, 12:37 PM
TBH, most mappers stage 1 map is a generic map. The rolling road is just to appease the customer as a proof of a power increase. Like Stuart said, and RR owner can bend the truth for their gain. It's much of a muchness...

It'll come down to the route of all evils, cost! If you're remapping a standard car, then it wont really matter. If it's a modified car with bigger turbo, injectors etc etc then live RR mapping is the only way. Alsways use someone who comes with a good recommendation!