PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up oil pressure gauge on SR 6clock dials

chris862
14-08-12, 02:43 AM
Wondering if it can be done, I fitted Mk1 SR clocks to my 1985 1.2 nova years ago, managed to figure out the tacho wiring, but have often wondered if I can make the oil pressure gauge work :)

Is it something simple like running a wire to somewhere on the engine? or more complex/other parts required

Cheers
Chris

mk1nova_rich
14-08-12, 07:27 AM
The wiring may already be in the loom and fits to the other spade connector on the back of the clocks to operate the pressure gauge. Look behind the clocks...it may be taped up.

There are two oil pressure wires, blue/green and blue/yellow...I can't remember which goes to the low pressure light so have a look which is already there and you need the other for the gauge.

The main thing you will need is an SR/GTE type pressure sender to screw into the block in place of your 1.2 item so you have two connections...this is located at the back of the block under the alternator.

One is a spade fitting and the other has a nut, unfortunately I cant remember which wire goes to which but the fittings on the wires may be there to help you :thumb:

Dan Stanley
14-08-12, 09:05 AM
The wiring is already there, you'll just need to find an oil pressure sensor, like Rich said. I used to take them from 2.0 8v SE/NE engines from cav's. They are about the size and shape of a 'D' cell battery and it screws into the back drivers side bottom corner of the engine. They have a spade type connection and a 1 pin plug on them also.
Oh and dont forget if you unscrew them, oil will come peeing out of the block! So perhaps combiine the sensor swap with an oil change?

chris862
14-08-12, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the replys chaps! useful info! if the wiring is already there I might consider getting another oil pressure sensor at some point for it :) Cheers

You wouldn't believe it but on my capri there's actually a direct oil capillary that goes direct into the gauge in the dash, crazy aye!

mowgli
15-08-12, 06:12 AM
/\ yes us people old enough to remember capillary gauges do believe it... they were really reliable in their day, and didn't have to worry about dodgy voltage fluctuations that old lucas electrical equipment could give