PDA

View Full Version : C20let on FP c20xe ecu???

ST-eater
14-08-12, 01:06 AM
Hi all... Just collected a c20let nova, and when looking over it i noticed its running a FP ecu (which im sure is from the pre-lamba standard XE)...

Can anyone tell me what ecu i need, and wether i can plug and play the loom... or wether i need to get a let one? I currently have no amal valve, however can overcome that with a crappy manual boost control..

The car hunts on idle quite bad, and when coming to a stop stalls now and again (i think its down to the XE map tbh, as the fuel/spark would be all over the place at a guess)....

Other than that it drives / boosts fine.. just need to know what ecu to look for, it is a dizzy engine, and im not sure if it has a lamba... so if theres a pre one, that would be ideal...

Pic of the engine...

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7287/007tep.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/007tep.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

nova_saloon
14-08-12, 01:57 AM
Yeh i think PJ is the one your after

Plug
14-08-12, 07:27 AM
You'll need a Let loom aswell, xe is missing a few bits and pieces,

Benn
14-08-12, 08:05 AM
Does the ecu have the bit for air pressure on it? As the ecu might just have a different top on it.

ST-eater
14-08-12, 08:09 AM
Yeh i think PJ is the one your after

Ahh awesome... dont suppose you know if it needs a lambda or not lol as i doubt one has been fitted lol...

You'll need a Let loom aswell, xe is missing a few bits and pieces,

Ah, is there any way to tell if mines been adapted, been reading that you can adapt the XE one (id rather not adapt mine, as im guessing its easier to buy a working one)...

Dont suppose all the let looms are the same?

ST-eater
14-08-12, 08:10 AM
Does the ecu have the bit for air pressure on it? As the ecu might just have a different top on it.

No idea mate, is this like a vac take off? or wiring? (if it was an XE engine id be ok as i understand them haha...)

ST-eater
14-08-12, 08:13 AM
Just google imaged it.. and its some vac thing... will have a check in a min :) Cheers

Will F
14-08-12, 08:51 AM
It cant be running on an XE ECU - as it wont be able to measure boost/air/fuel etc...

It may start, but it would lean off and melt into a mess as soon as you drove it! lol

chambers1984
14-08-12, 10:20 AM
what boost is it set at? is the block a let block or is it just a xe engine with a turbo on running low boost. if its not got let pistons you will not run more than a few psi without poping it

nova_saloon
14-08-12, 04:42 PM
yeh it wil need a lambda im afraid, there should be one poking out the exhaust somewhere just follow it down from the manifold until you find something poking out with three wires. also if you can adapt id do it, there is a reason people do and its because to get hold of a decent LET loom your looking at going bankrupt haha, cause its a case of if it works... it works :)

Mazz
14-08-12, 06:36 PM
Could it be LET ecu in different case? Does it have the little tube thingy sticking out? Only LET ECU's had them..also all C20LET's are dizzy and have a lambda

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/9482/DSCF2709.JPG

ST-eater
14-08-12, 09:52 PM
It cant be running on an XE ECU - as it wont be able to measure boost/air/fuel etc...

It may start, but it would lean off and melt into a mess as soon as you drove it! lol

Sorry to say, it is running an XE loom and ecu lol.... Its been converted for a year or two prior to me buying it, and i noticed the FP on the ecu when viewing it... thought it wasnt right lol...

what boost is it set at? is the block a let block or is it just a xe engine with a turbo on running low boost. if its not got let pistons you will not run more than a few psi without poping it

No idea on what the boosts at, its got a gauge on, but where it is i cant really see it too well when driving. Its being relocated as soon as my radio din plates arrived.

Its been checked over at retro power in leicestershire today (retropower.co.uk), and its a c20let block, on what looks to be a small block gearbox (probs a 1.6)

yeh it wil need a lambda im afraid, there should be one poking out the exhaust somewhere just follow it down from the manifold until you find something poking out with three wires. also if you can adapt id do it, there is a reason people do and its because to get hold of a decent LET loom your looking at going bankrupt haha, cause its a case of if it works... it works :)

Ah il have a look... Can get a boss welded in worst case cheers...

As an update, as mentioned ive popped to a local tuning firm today, and they managed to supply me with a c20let early ecu, and a loom thats had a few bits cut all for £100....(with a spare xe loom to borrow plugs off)

I need to rebuild the loom (as they used some plugs for a customers omex set up)... however can anyone point me to a pin to pin diagram for the c20let loom...??

Pic of the ecu is here, and the loom came from the same car (which was apparently running)...

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9606/014twg.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/341/014twg.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

ST-eater
14-08-12, 09:53 PM
Could it be LET ecu in different case? Does it have the little tube thingy sticking out? Only LET ECU's had them..also all C20LET's are dizzy and have a lambda

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/9482/DSCF2709.JPG

No mine doesnt have that tube lol.. deffo a standard xe ecu....

The new ecu i collected today does tho :D

Mazz
14-08-12, 10:02 PM
tbh, £100 is quite a good price for a loom and ECU, assuming it actually works :)

ST-eater
14-08-12, 10:20 PM
tbh, £100 is quite a good price for a loom and ECU, assuming it actually works :)

Fingers crossed...said i can have my cash back if it dont lol...

Just need a pin to pin diagram to rebuild it...

ST-eater
14-08-12, 10:30 PM
Can anyone confirm if this is the correct loom to do my wiring?

http://www.cavalierturbo.com/downloads/workshop_manual/C20LETWorkshopManual.pdf

Not sure if its the newer one, as mines dizzy (if theres a difference)

Will F
15-08-12, 08:43 AM
All lets are dizzy - the only difference is that the later engines/ecus were fitted with an immobiliser, but that wont matter for what you need it for...

8valve-craig
15-08-12, 09:00 AM
£100 was a good price for the loom and ECU.

if you decide you want a better loom get in touch via PM as i have a few which can be for sale.

ST-eater
16-08-12, 11:56 AM
All lets are dizzy - the only difference is that the later engines/ecus were fitted with an immobiliser, but that wont matter for what you need it for...

I never knew that, stupid me haha... Thanks :)

£100 was a good price for the loom and ECU.

if you decide you want a better loom get in touch via PM as i have a few which can be for sale.

Cheers im going to attempt soldering this one up, and if all else fails il be pm'ing you lol :D

Im now guessing that some of the sensors will be different between the xe and the let.... any idea which ones need swapping... im guessing maf possibly :(

To clear up how its running on the xe management.. ive had it down at the mot station (who are big on tuning) and some of the chaps opposite have had a good look around it (they run a rolling road / tuning unit).... They seem to think that the turbo is running low boost under a bar 0.5 - 0.7 and the ecu could be chipped (will check). They also said they think someone has adjusted the mixture by messing around with inside the maf sensor, as apparently the top can come off and something inside fiddled with. The rails running a 3 bar reg, but it looks like its been kissed with a hammer a bit to up the pressure a little... They think due to the fuel it runs crap on idle, but then on boost the fuel and air mixes correctly. We have taken a plug out and it was black sooty, with the middle whiteish (although ive seen worse). So its overfueling, but im guessing not enough there on boost. I dont think the correct injectors are on it... they look like XE beiges.... Im guessing let ones wouldnt work with the FP ecu... So they will be on the 'to buy' list

Ive got a an adjustable fuel pressure reg on order along with an adapter plate... Also a AEM wideband so i can see whats actually going on to avoid any leaning out. The engine has been running like this for a while by the looks of it as its not a 'new looking' conversion. However im not driving it until my bits have turned up, as i dont fancy doing a rebuild.

I really dont see why people dont do a conversion properly in the first place...:tard:

Mieran
16-08-12, 03:28 PM
When I seen this car on eBay it screamed bodge job, why did you buy it?

chambers1984
16-08-12, 04:55 PM
got a set of std let injectors here if any good to you mate

ST-eater
16-08-12, 09:40 PM
When I seen this car on eBay it screamed bodge job, why did you buy it?

Because i knocked the bloke down to £1200 for the car. Sent it straight for an early mot to see what needs sorting, and turned out to only need a minor common bit welded. Have been quoted £60 to repair, so booked it in for monday :D

The engine will either come out and be stripped & rebuilt if i cant get it to fuel right... or run it till it goes bang... At the price i cant really complain as its only a toy, not a daily.

Ive done loads of engine conversions in the past, but the only turbo stuff ive made from scratch has been to the ford zetec mk2 focus 2.0 16v blacktop... Ive never had a vaux turbo... To be fair, although its not running quite right, its much better than the ford turbos lol :D