PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1.4SR not firing up!

Dan Darkin
13-08-12, 07:59 PM
Hi there,

I've got a Nova 1.4SR (1991) . Which is having trouble firing up.

Came to start it one morning and wouldnt fire up, just kept turning over. Replaced the ignition coil and tried again. It *did* fire up. Drove it to work. Came to come home, and again it wouldnt fire up.

Decided to get a new ignition module (plug under the coil). Again no joy. After a bit of playing around found out that there was no power from the module to the back of the distributor.

Should there be? And if so, any ideas why there isnt?

Or... any other ideas why it wouldnt be firing up.

Appriciate any help!

Thanks
Dan

therealnovaboy
13-08-12, 08:40 PM
have you checked for a spark ?

Helen of Troy
13-08-12, 09:32 PM
faulty rotor arm?

Steve
13-08-12, 11:04 PM
Does sound electrical, have you serviced it lately? plugs, leads, rotor arm and dizzy cap all contribute to poor running.

Dan Darkin
14-08-12, 01:14 PM
All spark plugs seem to be working. We have put new HT leads, Rotor Arm and Dizzy cap on as well.

Spudly
15-08-12, 07:59 PM
If you definately have spark, id be looking at the carb, the 2e3 likes to fail or cause issues when it gets bored, i had no end of bother with mine causing the car to miss and sometimes cut out, replaced the carb and all was well again with mine!

Also my friend had non running issues with his carb, we tried my 'faulty' carb that id just replaced, and hey presto, his ran again lol

Dan Darkin
15-08-12, 08:21 PM
If you definately have spark, id be looking at the carb, the 2e3 likes to fail or cause issues when it gets bored, i had no end of bother with mine causing the car to miss and sometimes cut out, replaced the carb and all was well again with mine!

Also my friend had non running issues with his carb, we tried my 'faulty' carb that id just replaced, and hey presto, his ran again lol

Cheers for that spudly, I'll bare that in mind. We've got a nova SR that we can have a play around with, so will have a go at changing the carb to see if it makes any difference!

therealnovaboy
16-08-12, 09:22 AM
If its got a spark it isnt going to be anything electrical. If it was electrical and you got a spark it would still start. It has to be a fueling issue

When its not starting pour about a bottle cap full of petrol into the hole in the carb. Try it again and if it fires up, take the carb off and clean it.

John
16-08-12, 09:51 AM
If you 100% have a spark when cranking, I'd check the fuel pump next :)

Dan Darkin
21-08-12, 03:23 PM
Found the problem! Was the distributor. New one is on order now. Thanks Guys! :D