PDA

View Full Version : Are brake calipers pricey?

Mieran
12-08-12, 11:39 PM
I want a couple of 2.0 256mm front brake calipers but don't want rusty old ones that are probably seized.

Roughly how much are a new/refurbed pair?

I'm guessing they'll want your old ones in exchange too?

mowgli
12-08-12, 11:42 PM
ring a few local motor factors....they will do exchange ones

tbf, the rusty ones off a scrapper will probably work fine...as the ate ones are seriously reliable calipers

paul james
12-08-12, 11:47 PM
Its easy enough to refurb calipers yourself, I did my 2.0 calipers recently with no prior knowledge, they were very rusty but look like new now. Brake calipers are much more simple than I had imagined. A full set of seals for both calipers is about £20 and you can get new pistons too if you feel the need.

Will F
13-08-12, 08:31 AM
I have bought and sold literally hundreds of these, ranging from nearly new to old rusty/covered in cobwebs etc and I have never had one seize!

Once or twice I have had to pressure bleed them to clear some c*ap, but have never had to bin one or had complaints that I have sold any that are siezed/sticky.

For piece of mind, get a set of a car thats only just been off teh road...

Stuart
13-08-12, 08:56 AM
have a look on www.needforspeed.co.uk they sell refurbed calipers.

paul080803
13-08-12, 10:13 AM
Old used ones cleaned and partially refurbed are perfectly fine.

You can go the extra mile as mentioned and replace seals/pistons.

Edd
13-08-12, 01:00 PM
I ended up buying new genuine ATE calipers, were £45 for one side and £70 for the other

Took ALOT of searching to find them tho

Tbh I would get refurbished ones if I needed them again

Motorfactors and ebay are the places to look

Mieran
14-08-12, 10:27 AM
Will have you got any I can buy lol scrappies around here are useless

grooge
15-08-12, 12:00 AM
I ended up buying new genuine ATE calipers, were £45 for one side and £70 for the other

Took ALOT of searching to find them tho

Tbh I would get refurbished ones if I needed them again

Motorfactors and ebay are the places to look

i picked up a brand new pair a few months ago for 40 quid so there are some kicking about if you keep your eyes open! i've also had refurbed ones before and was planning on getting refurb again but would have cost more i think.

Will F
15-08-12, 08:30 AM
I have around 6-7 pairs - I have them all in a huge parts bin lol.
I forgot that I also had a few sets of 288s too and managed to fit one 288 and one 256 onto a corsa a few months back!